Main Menu

V for Vendetta review

Started by Buddy, 20 February, 2006, 09:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I think a fair bit of the sniffiness about the Film is because Mr Moore doesn't like it.

Huff battons down the hatches and waits....

DDT did a job on me

petemaskreplica

Not at all, I hate it entirely on its own merits ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot what my mate said about its politics, which made me laugh: "It's like it's been re-written by Rik out of the Young Ones." :p

Proudhuff

"It's like it's been re-written by Rik out of the Young Ones."

you say that like its a bad thing.

Huff
DDT did a job on me

Tex Hex

Hey guys. Long time no post!

On the subject of V for Vendetta, those of you looking for a realistic futuristic vision take note - at one point several guys are seen smoking...IN A PUB!

Nonsense!

-hex

SmallBlueThing

Well, I have to bump this back to the top. Saw V this week after my wife chucked me out of the house so she could have a friend round and drink wine... in the rain and the fog I braved the 'muggers' paradise' that is Hastings town center and forked out ?5.90 to sit in our cold, parasite-infested cinema for two and a half hours.

And I am *so* glad that I did.

If anything, I think this proves two things: One, that Alan Moore, while being probably the greatest living exponent of the fine art of comic-writing, is no critic. And two, that Jonathon Ross has now become so alarmingly "middle brow" and desperate to appear knowledgable about popular culture, that he has finally, finally, imploded into an sinewy mass arse/navel/elbow fusion.

Quite honestly, I came out of V For Vendetta feeling the way I did the first time I saw Star Wars, An American Werewolf In London, The Wicker Man and Moulin Rouge: like something within me had been changed. Astonishing.

I shabn't go on. I remember reading it in Warrior all those years ago, and then buying it again in the DC comics version, just so's I could complete the story. I even bought the collected version a while back. years ago I wore a 'V' badge with regularity. My expectations of the film were as low as everyone else's, no doubt, but I'm so pleased that I was so crushingly wrong.

To see it in the same week that the government wangled through the ID cards Bill and that the British press turned against Norman Kember, just made the impact greater. I'm still moved now, several days later.

Just a shame that Hugo Weaving spent the whole film doing a pretty good Rowan Atkinson impression. But hey, we can't have everything.

Go see- and make up your own mind. That's what it's all about, anyway.

Steev

Queen Firey-Bou

well having not read the books at all & having no idea about them appart from having a sketch of V by the charming Mr lloyd...

watching the film as a film, i thought it was great. but then i generally do. i thought it a bit dis-jointed in places but put that down to trying to cram in or cut comic sub-plots & them failing to achieve that in the smooth simplistic linear style we have come to expect from films, whereas we knoe comics go off on one & dawdle about & make up their minds as they go along what the story is , we seem to tolerate & enjoy this in a comic, but films have to be so spelt out & analysable by school kids writing essays .

whatever. i thought it packed a punch. and cried, but then i generally do.

johnnystress

Almost funny parody of V for Vendetta trailer

featuring some familiar puppets

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rzMaAucI4" target="_blank">C for Cookie

Bico

I thought it made an okay movie, but - and it's rather a big but - it wasn't actually any *good*.
The dialogue was forced and juvenile, the supposed 'subtexts' were hammered home, and virtually every idea it has is spoon-fed to the audience on the assumption that they aren't very bright and need things explained to them every step of the way IN BIG LETTERS.  At one point, Hugo Weaving dons an Alan Moore disguise to exposition the dumber members of the audience to death, and I felt if I was actually trying to take this seriously, I might be horribly offended - especially if I was English.
Don your best "I am watching an action movie" hat and turn your head off for a bit and you might enjoy it in the same way you might enjoy an action movie that has all the Oriental members of the cast knowing kung-fu, even if they're only a janitor or a fisherman.  In much the same way, all the English in this film are dull-witted clods who need radicalised American politics someone's read off a cereal box to get them motivated into rebellion.
It's only those who expect something intelligent who wil ultimately be disappointed by this, but anyone wanting a brainless bit of popcorn-fodder will be happy enough - maybe even impressed.  There's worse things to be upset about.

Bico

Pah.  That should be "better" things to be upset about.

Wils

"better" things to be upset about

Like Ewoks: Caravan of Courage.

paulvonscott

"Hugo Weaving dons an Alan Moore disguise to exposition the dumber members of the audience to death"

Heh, possibly my biggest WTF moment was when Alan Moore turns up during the film to explain it.  

It's be a while since I saw it, but I'm really not tempted to watch it again.

johnnystress

paulvonscott

Let's hope that's not the trailer to V for Vendetta 2.