Main Menu

V for Vendetta preview tonight (no spoilers)....

Started by Buddy, 13 March, 2006, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Spalding

Bringing up Vader and the Cybermen aren't really valid comparisions.  Essentially they are both cartoon viallains, they are not the main thrust of the story are they?
If V was the support character or the villain then there would be no problem.

From the reviews I've read, it would seem the failing is the lack of identification.  With V in the mask, we can't emotionally connect to him, hence we have Evey, who should draw us into the plot.  It sounds like Natalie Portman just doesn't bring the audience in, and that's why the mask becomes such a barrier.

(I knew I should have taken media studies, I'd have been a revelation :P)

SamuelAWilkinson

Vader? A cartoon villain? You need to re-watch Return of the Jedi, me ol' mucker.

Just think about the scene where Luke refuses to kill Vader, and the Emperor zaps him with the evil lightning. Somehow, without having actually having any moving parts, Vader's face still emotes all the conflict and stuff he's going through.

I'll be happy if they get that one thing right in V, and make the mask as emotive as David Lloyd managed to do.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

johnnystress

as long as the director intends V to be grinning enigmatically in every single scene it should be fine

;})

Cthulouis

"If V was the support character or the villain then there would be no problem."

Yeah, its a shame there isn't some sort of confused would be heroin in the story to use as a focus, perhaps allowing for V to be portrayed as a distant mysterious figure...

Oh, wait a sec...

Oddboy

I've been re-reading the book.
I might go see it at the weekend. Depends on if I finish the book by then.

As Garth once said...

I just hope it didn't suck.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Rob Spalding

Yeah, its a shame there isn't some sort of confused would be heroin in the story to use as a focus, perhaps allowing for V to be portrayed as a distant mysterious figure...

As I said, from what I hear, the performance of Evey fails to bring focus.
But I'll still see it, then I can make an informed comment, rather than my usual blather.

Dan Kelly

"Yeah, its a shame there isn't some sort of confused would be heroin in the story to use as a focus, perhaps allowing for V to be portrayed as a distant mysterious figure... "

Or even perhaps a down-trodden sympathetic cop trying to find out who the perpatrator of the crimes really is... Oh!

Roger Godpleton

Review in Metro praises Moore but disses the film, saying it has little substance, and there are better action films out there.

Yet he still gives it 3 stars...
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

petemaskreplica

Quirkafleeg

Reading a few reviews and it's about fifty/fifty trash/good.... we shall see

Tiplodocus

Funny he mentions the Benny Hill thing in the case against - this was one of the few moments of levity in the original comic (though it was more slightly more "Carry On" then "Benny Hill")

I only have a limited amount of time I can dedicate to the Cinema these days so the less than whole hearted reviews mean that this baby is being relegated to DVD rental.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Adrian Bamforth

Ironically, the Big Issue accuses it of being 'comic book stuff'.

ADE

Buddy

"and there are better action films out there"

Not an action film.

Eric Plumrose

"Based on the Graphic Novel illustrated by David Lloyd"

Plot and dialogue can be summarized thus:

BOOM! Ah bollocks, I'm sorry. Bollocks, you're sorry! I really am sorry. It's just this bloody bollocks. Eggy in a basket. I'm sorry. No, actually, I'm The One. Who's sorry, that is. It's all a load of bollocks, though. VA VA VOOM BOOM! Now THAT'S what I call the bollocks!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Dan Kelly

Saw this last night and still unmixing my feelings....

The bits that work really well are, unsuprisingly the bits lifted (more or less) verbatim from the book.  "Valerie" especially works damn well.

Looking back through the GN I can understand most of the things that have been dropped (Think we need a spoiler thread).  But not all.

However the bits that don't work are the new bits.

GF and Housemate liked it though.