Main Menu

Star Wars – Speed of the Death Star?

Started by Toke_Stanley, 12 February, 2009, 09:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toke_Stanley

If the Millennium Falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy, then how come the Death Star can chase it so quickly when it returns to the Rebel's secret Yavin base?  

Then, after its tracked it down (seemingly) in a matter of hours, how come it spends the best part of a day trying to fly round the planet to get the rebel base in its sights?

Banners

Why fly around the planet at all when we know it could just blow it up?

M@

Richmond Clements

QuoteIf the Millennium Falcon is the fastest ship in the galaxy, then how come the Death Star can chase it so quickly when it returns to the Rebel's secret Yavin base?

If it is the fastest ship in the galaxy, which it clearly isn't- are you telling me you fell for the old Solo sales patter..??

QuoteThen, after its tracked it down (seemingly) in a matter of hours, how come it spends the best part of a day trying to fly round the planet to get the rebel base in its sights?

Probably something to do with gravity wells around the planet or some such.
That and it increases narrative tension.

TordelBack

Leaving aside the dubious claims of self-confessed scoundrels Solo and Calrissian, it's pretty simple.  The Death Star is fast enough when travelling through hyperspace (although it's still slower the Falcon, whose crew had time to get changed, arrange and load more wealth than Luke (but not Han) could imagine, have a combat briefing, borrow a starfighter and run into old friends before the Death Star showed up, and all this taking place after a detailed analysis of its Maguffin/Plans) but once it reverts to 'real' space, it's quite ponderously slow - particularly because because it's allegedly the size of a small moon, and it's negotiating the gravity well of a gas giant (Yavin) to get line-of-sight on an actual moon.  Just imagine the gravity/orbital issues.

Tiplodocus

His Lordship, shouldn't you be out clearing snow?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "Tiplodocus"His Lordship, shouldn't you be out clearing snow?

Agggh SHUT UP!!!!!!!

On the Star Wars front though- I had a great in depth conversation with my 7 year old last night about the Sith, why there are two of them and Palpatines motivation in making Annakin kill Dooku.
This is one of the reasons it pisses me off when people slag Lucas. He's created a complex moral tale that gets a 7 year old thinking- and has him understanding the that concept that a bad guy is not bad from his own point of view.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: "His Lordship rac"
Quote from: "Tiplodocus"His Lordship, shouldn't you be out clearing snow?

Agggh SHUT UP!!!!!!!

On the Star Wars front though- I had a great in depth conversation with my 7 year old last night about the Sith, why there are two of them and Palpatines motivation in making Annakin kill Dooku.
This is one of the reasons it pisses me off when people slag Lucas. He's created a complex moral tale that gets a 7 year old thinking- and has him understanding the that concept that a bad guy is not bad from his own point of view.

Yeah, but the problem is he'll grow up screaming that Lucas raped his childhood with bad cgi faux videogame films.

Richmond Clements

QuoteYeah, but the problem is he'll grow up screaming that Lucas raped his childhood with bad cgi faux videogame films.

Ah, but your 'rape of childhodd' is his generations Star Wars. And Lucas will be dead by the time he's our age...

JOE SOAP

QuoteYeah, but the problem is he'll grow up screaming that Lucas raped his childhood with bad cgi faux videogame films.

Ah, but your 'rape of childhodd' is his generations Star Wars. And Lucas will be dead by the time he's our age...

Lucas will be in carbonite so he'll still be around. I'm sure he'll leave instructions.

Richmond Clements

QuoteLucas will be in carbonite so he'll still be around. I'm sure he'll leave instructions.

You could be on to something there...

Actually, I did express the opinion to him that I was quite confident there will be more Star Wars movies in the future.
It's too big a buisness to let it drop (and I don't mean that as any critisism- if I owned it, I'd milk it for everything I could!).

JOE SOAP

QuoteLucas will be in carbonite so he'll still be around. I'm sure he'll leave instructions.

You could be on to something there...

Actually, I did express the opinion to him that I was quite confident there will be more Star Wars movies in the future.
It's too big a buisness to let it drop (and I don't mean that as any critisism- if I owned it, I'd milk it for everything I could!).

they'll just be on TV.

Richmond Clements

There is that... but I can see in my mind a KOTOR movie series waiting to happen...

Martin Jameson

Quote from: "garageman"Lucas will be in carbonite so he'll still be around. I'm sure he'll leave instructions.

Already done!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gTJMEP-c2fo/S ... +lucas.jpg

Roger Godpleton

Don't forget there's a Bioware KOTOR MMO in development so soon we'll be experiencing the delights of getting a force push that's a bit more powerful than it was before you killed that Trandoshan.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

TheEdge

Your missing the SMALL PRINT.

The Death star is not a SHIP>>>>>>>>>
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"