Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 April, 2023, 05:41:45 PMI took it to mean he didn't want another current affairs thread locked by mods. 

Exactly what I meant - yes. And I even said please - four times. Sometimes getting on your knees and begging seems like the only option left.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

I'm surprised you are defending ANY law, Sharky, given that you think people know how to behave so long as they arent told how to behave and society can organise itself just fine without anyone handing down any proclamations about what can and cant be done?

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 April, 2023, 05:43:34 PMI guess we'll never know his true intent...

Funt Solo

On reflection, it does seem like a perfectly reasonable law, and I think we can all assume nothing but positive intent from those crafting it. I mean, it's not as if any Nazis are involved, or anything.

QuoteDrag shows across Tennessee have faced opposition from local governments in recent months, in addition to protests at recent drag performances at Diskin Cider in Nashville and other locations. In January, masked protestors brandished Nazi slogans and chanted anti-LGBTQ slurs outside a Cookeville event, WPLN reported.

Gov. Bill Lee signs ban on gender-affirming care for minors, drag restrictions into law
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Leigh, it's legislation (which, as I've said, is perfectly fine as advice), not law, and examining its wording is not defending it. The majority of people do know how to behave; I mean, do you refrain from murder, rape, and theft because you know it's wrong or because the government (which contains a high proportion of murderers (warmongers), rapists (Epstein-type clients), and thieves (tax demanders)) tells you so?

Aaand... here come the Nazis. So I guess you "win," Solo. Well done. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 April, 2023, 06:38:26 PMit's legislation (which, as I've said, is perfectly fine as advice), not law

You keep saying this. I think your dictionary may be defective.

Encyclopedia Britannica:

Quotelegislation, the preparing and enacting of laws by local, state, or national legislatures.

Merriam Webster:

Quotethe action of legislating
specifically: the exercise of the power and function of making rules (such as laws) that have the force of authority by virtue of their promulgation by an official organ of a state or other organization
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 April, 2023, 06:38:26 PMAaand... here come the Nazis. So I guess you "win," Solo. Well done. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

I don't think it can technically be classed as Godwin's Law if someone's comparing actual swastikaed-up nazis to nazis, especially when one tried to burn down a church because of a story-telling drag event for children just a couple of weeks ago.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 April, 2023, 06:38:26 PMLeigh, it's legislation (which, as I've said, is perfectly fine as advice), not law,

Legislation is law. A person might not like it, but it is law. And I am going to bite - although I usually refrain - and ask two questions, Sharky.

First, if legislation is not law... then what is it? An answer along the lines of it being rules imposed by an undemocratic state (etc) does not stack up, because it can still be law. In fact, you can get bad law. But it is law.

Because, second, what is your definition of law? It's rules that a society expects its members to follow. And if you accept democratic theory, accepting that democracy may not work, then the theory is that if enough members don't like a law then they can vote to change it. You... legislate... for change.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

Yeah - that's a common misinterpretation of Godwin's Law that he's found himself face-palming at.

Godwin's Law is:
A - I think trifle is a nice desert.
[an argument on the relative merit of trifle ensues]
Z - You fucking Nazi!

Godwin's Law is not:
A - Hitler was a Nazi.
B - You've failed because you mentioned Nazis!

Poor old Godwin - he was expecting an understanding of something that wouldn't trouble to call itself a nuance.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Molch-R

All – we closed the politics thread for a reason and I don't want to see that happen again. Please move on from this topic forthwith - and without any 'final word' posts. Thank you.

JohnW

Two men accused of trying to sell rare Anglo-Saxon coins to undercover police

Total misunderstanding!
It just so happened that the Time Travellers' Bureau de Change was shut.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Plastic Paddy President is in town

So I get to work from home until next Thursday.

Which is nice.

But why don't they let him retire? He's sooooooo old. He was alive before the troubles kicked off. Feck, he was probably alive before the partition.
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 11 April, 2023, 08:42:47 PMBut why don't they let him retire? He's sooooooo old.

He is approximately five million years old - it's really difficult to count the rings when you slice him in half.

Most people are pleased that we have a "gently nodding off president who didn't quite catch that" because it was better than (and I quote) a "gerbil-headed, wood-stained, haunted spunk-trumpet."

Anything would have been. A dead Biden, continually on ice (like Leonid Brezhnev in old Spitting Image) would be fine. We just want the government to function, and not turn into a fascist state. Sleepy Joe is exactly what's needed.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Credo! on 11 April, 2023, 08:51:08 PM... it's really difficult to count the rings when you slice him in half.

I certainly wouldn't have enough fingers. Despite all the inbreeding.
You may quote me on that.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 April, 2023, 07:13:23 PMLegislation is law.

See I don't think Dredd standing between two Citi-blocks shouting "I AM THE LEGISLATION!!!!!" carries the same ring personally ...

Funt Solo

QuotePolice in North Carolina are searching for a man accused of shooting a 6-year-old girl and her father after their basketball rolled into the suspect's yard.

QuoteIn Texas, 18-year-old cheerleader ... was shot and seriously injured ... after she mistakenly tried to enter the wrong vehicle.

QuoteIn New York state, 20-year-old ... was shot and killed on Saturday after a friend drove their car down the wrong driveway.

Quote...in Missouri, 16-year-old ... was shot in the head and arm when he rang the doorbell at the wrong address.

This is America.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++