Main Menu

Prog 2001 - Hungry for Thrills

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 01 October, 2016, 07:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

Yes you are right - I miss counted.

My excuse is I was typing that on my phone on the tube on the way to work and wanted to finish it before the train went underground. I think what happen was I had actually counted ABC Warriors as one of the strips (as per my little joke above  :-[ ). But hey it does look a bit like ABC Warriors and does any one else think the Flesh grinder thingy looks just a teeny bit like Mek Quake?

And yes I am counting Hunted as being a Rogue Trooper continuation (and to be fair the credits say that).

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 05 October, 2016, 07:22:45 AM
Yes you are right - I miss counted.

My excuse is I was typing that on my phone on the tube on the way to work and wanted to finish it before the train went underground. I think what happen was I had actually counted ABC Warriors as one of the strips (as per my little joke above  :-[ ). But hey it does look a bit like ABC Warriors and does any one else think the Flesh grinder thingy looks just a teeny bit like Mek Quake?

And yes I am counting Hunted as being a Rogue Trooper continuation (and to be fair the credits say that).

I was thinking the Flesh Dozer looked Mek-Quake-y (or at least Terramek-y).  My first thought was that this might be tied in to Ro-Busters and the rest (though Flesh™ takes place in the 23rd century and Ro-Busters is later in our own - lost track of when ABC Warriors' current books takes place).
Interesting points about old (I'm giong to count the first half of the last twenty years) versus new.  Luckily we have Stickleback, Brass Sun and the rest, though unfortunately not running in the prog right now.

TordelBack

Good stuff I thought, but the Flesh recap was indeed a deathly dull necessary evil - perhaps a double episode of this with some story would have been better. Pleased with the Willis O'Brien look of Langley's Gorehead, but worried about his teeny tiny indistinguishable photobooth characters.

Dredd was fast, fantastic and intriguing, and who thought of pairing Hairsine and Kitson, it's a sublime combo!

Savage was hilarious, 'Wilhelm Wilder' undercover behind the bar of the Butcher's Hook while 'Bill Savage' takes his shootah to the Volgs of Berlin ... truly allied intelligence have just the one idea.  A welcome chuckle.

Gone Girl , a classic Milligan and McCarthy paranoid romp from Milligan and Rufus, very enjoyable, and great colours from Regan.

Hunted.  Wonderful art from Holden, and despite reservations about going back to the (poisoned) well of classic Rogue, I enjoyed this a lot. Be great if we got a crossover with Jaegir.

ZenArcade

The concept of retaliation against the Sovs for Enceladus is something, to me, that sits well with the judicial concepts of the 22nd century.  Mega City One with the infusion of Texas City resources is in a position to make examples of those who ' kicked them, when they were down', so to speak. Reality in the 22nd century is brutal and for by this, consider the havoc wrecked by the west on 'suspected' supporters of Islamic militancy in the present day.
I always thought that there was value in a Dredd strip where there was an extended manhunt for the facilitators and supporters of DOC...I appreciate Dredd and Hershy were not minded to perpetuate the cycle of mass retaliation; but one would have thought there would have been many abroad who personally or corporately aided the faction in question. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 October, 2016, 09:52:00 AM
Good stuff I thought, but the Flesh recap was indeed a deathly dull necessary evil - perhaps a double episode of this with some story would have been better.

Yeah, The Horned God recap was published over two progs, but had lots of interaction between Ukko and Nest, so only about half of that was recap interspersed with original scenes.

QuoteDredd was fast, fantastic and intriguing, and who thought of pairing Hairsine and Kitson, it's a sublime combo!

Great Seeing both artists back in the prog - would love to know how the two came to be working together.

QuoteSavage was hilarious, 'Wilhelm Wilder' undercover behind the bar of the Butcher's Hook while 'Bill Savage' takes his shootah to the Volgs of Berlin ... truly allied intelligence have just the one idea.  A welcome chuckle.

Right from the original five-part Invasion! story (The Resistance) Savage seemed to be the only person in the Resistance with a clue.

QuoteHunted.  Wonderful art from Holden, and despite reservations about going back to the (poisoned) well of classic Rogue, I enjoyed this a lot. Be great if we got a crossover with Jaegir.

Like it - a disgraced Souther general and a disgraced Nort general (though the Nort is more in exile than actually a wanted man).

Fungus

WH Smith up to their old tricks * today, my scanned prog costing me £3.99. Obviously a hangover from last week. Staff seemed genuinely confused as to how that could happen, which pleased me  :)

* Well, Head Office human error (this isn't the conspiracy thread)

Apestrife

Great opener to Where Judges Dare. Dredd riding a moose (with red eyes) towards a Sov Meg prison, a covert prison break and then guns out. Like others in this thread, I'm also thinking it's connected to Sinfield. Can't wait till next week!

Counterfit girl kept on moving forward in a nice pace. Not sure where it's heading. Hoping for some nice twists to it's concepts. Outright lovely to look at.

I don't feel I'v read enough of either Rogue trooper, Flesh or Savage to know what to make of them. But they seem fine. New adventure of time travelling dinosaurs, someone/thing traitor general and the "savage guy" .

sheridan

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 October, 2016, 01:17:46 PM
I don't feel I'v read enough of either Rogue trooper, Flesh or Savage to know what to make of them. But they seem fine. New adventure of time travelling dinosaurs, someone/thing traitor general and the "savage guy" .

Savage is his surname - Bill Savage, full name William Alfred Savage.

Buttonman

Still no Prog in Paisley! Any other Cal-Habbers similarly affected? Wonder if the switchover to in house subs is to blame?

Dandontdare

The Flesh recap was necessary as as I'm concerned - even though I've read all of these, I don't think I remembered a single detail, but now I feel I'm up to speed - may be better to have condensed the recap to 4 pages allowing a couple of pages of plot advancement at least, but I'd rather have it than not.

user2000

Quote from: Buttonman on 05 October, 2016, 02:43:45 PM
Still no Prog in Paisley! Any other Cal-Habbers similarly affected? Wonder if the switchover to in house subs is to blame?

Nothing for me, Ayrshire (as per usual though for the last few months - this is definitely the latest it's ever been, well, discounting the fact that I never got Prog 2000 at all).

JUDGE BURNS

Still no prog 2001 here in North Ayrshire again. And its wednesday !!!!!    I know from speaking to my postie yesterday that all our mail comes via the sorting office in KILMARNOCK  (via Glasgow) and distributed throughout the region.  so the problem lies there in Killie.  >:(

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 October, 2016, 02:48:46 PM
The Flesh recap was necessary as as I'm concerned - even though I've read all of these, I don't think I remembered a single detail

I've only read the previous book, so I suppose this was for my benefit. Even so, I agree it was a very dry read - Uncle Pat should have used a poem or a wee song as a hook to hang the infodump upon, like he did with Sauvage.

It seems customary to declare that Clint Langley's Gilbert & George technique* isn't really your cup of tea. I'm no exception, but it looks like it will work well on this particular strip and its subject matter. Monochrome looks great.

Lulu Fun was a great 2000ad name, so it's a shame she won't be around anymore; Sunny D was a chilling reminder of Bill's origins in the nineties; and I thought the person Dredd (clunkily) told to keep their burqa on must be [spoiler]the Kazan clone[/spoiler]?

* As opposed to his line art, which I think is fantastic

Trent

Really enjoyed that Prog with a few reservations.
Dredd looks like a rollicking adventure and nice to see whole Enceladus arc revisited. That said, it was one of the clumsiest intros to a story I have seen in ages with characters spouting 'helpful' exposition at every turn in ways no one would ever speak (translation chips etc). Really not representative of Rob's considerable skills and pulled me out of the story several times. Expecting better for the rest of the story.
Rogue Trooper and Savage were both much smoother introductions and despite having skipped Savage for the last 2 books I enjoyed this.
Flesh recap was indeed dry but necessary for me at least as the combination of Mill's meandering and preaching and McKay's increasingly scratchy art turned me off after quite enjoying 'Texas'. Langley brings a freshness to the story and I am actually looking forward to see where it goes now assuming I can recognise characters in his art.
Not quite sure why but I am more engaged with the current line up than I have been for some time.
Not read Counterfeit Girl yet so won't pass comment.

Eamonn Clarke

If you're looking for the digital 2001 in the app, look down bottom right of the screen.

Took me a while.  :-[