Main Menu

Judge Minty (Judge Dredd fan film)

Started by Steven Sterlacchini, 17 February, 2009, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I was only rewatching the Strontium Dog one for the umpteenth time last weekend. Absolute perfection.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Steve Green

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 08 October, 2019, 04:49:38 PM
Is there a grand prize for the millionth viewer?

If it happens at Christmas, they win 'mints' pies.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

IndigoPrime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 October, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
I was only rewatching the Strontium Dog one for the umpteenth time last weekend. Absolute perfection.
Yep. I appreciated and admired Minty for what it was, but Strontium Dog really felt like a step forward – a kind of pilot for a series that would never be – although, if a random billionaire is reading, please fund it, with those actors, and also the fan film team consulting! It was also interesting to see my wife's response to the films. She isn't familiar with 2000 AD, but loves the Dredd film; she thought Minty was good, and Strontium Dog was great (especially the sequence where the two of them are bored in transit).

Steve Green

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 October, 2019, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 08 October, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
Yep. I appreciated and admired Minty for what it was, but Strontium Dog really felt like a step forward – a kind of pilot for a series that would never be – although, if a random billionaire is reading, please fund it, with those actors, and also the fan film team consulting! It was also interesting to see my wife's response to the films. She isn't familiar with 2000 AD, but loves the Dredd film; she thought Minty was good, and Strontium Dog was great (especially the sequence where the two of them are bored in transit).

Thanks, that means a lot.

Minty was pretty much a first time experiment for us all, we had a better idea of what we were getting into on Strontium Dog, and areas we could up our game - and also where the limits of what we could do ourselves were.

I'll be honest, we got burned a bit by people offering to do stuff, then not being able to - so ended up taking on more ourselves than we'd anticipated. Plus Steve S tore a ligament so was on crutches which held things up a bit.

We also knew that Edgar Wright was interested in doing a Strontium Dog film, and he'd had a meeting with John and Carlos while we were in post production - it felt a bit like some unknown factor that could come cease and desisting at any point. We just didn't take anything for granted.

It's not great motivation when you're doing these kind of things, but we just kept plugging away.

Happy more people are seeing it now.

Judge Olde

It was an honour to be a small part of Minty, I still recommend it to people when I see people wanting more Dredd.

Steve Green

Thanks, was good to have you on board, it couldn't have been made without the rest of the fans getting involved!

Jim_Campbell

Minty is great — it feels like the best 'proof of concept' thing you'll ever see and I love it. The Strontium Dog short, though... that honestly feels like a pilot for a show I could happily watch a full series of. I've seen lots of SF stuff on cable that doesn't even come close to what you folks did here. You should be rightly proud of them both.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steve Green

Cheers Jim, yeah we are - there's obviously stuff that we would have done differently with hindsight.

But 'past me' is telling 'present me' to cut 'past me' some slack :)

I'm pretty happy with what we managed on the crew we had, with the money we could put in, starting from scratch. Rather than a Minty sequel.

I'd loved to have spent another 6 months or so on it, but there's always that danger of it never being finished the longer you leave it.

Having done those two, and pretty much walked straight into that Rogue pitch, comparing a much bigger crew with what we had, it made me appreciate our two films even more.

Dash Decent

There are so many good things about both films, but one of the things I love about both is that it shows there is no need to change Dredd's uniform or Alpha's helmet and clothes, ditto the Lawmasters, SD hover bikes, Westinghouse blaster, Doghouse space station, etc.  How good did they look?  You stayed faithful and they look flipping awesome!

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Steve Green

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd totally agree on that one - there are a few people who don't like Alpha's helmet for example - although I think beefing up the undersuit with padding and greeblies would help.

I referenced the stillsuit from Dune when we were making it, and the Russian suits from Pacific Rim have a good feel too - just beyond our budget really.

It's hard to get that distance when you're a fan, and how it plays out to a wider audience.

Dan pitched a more manufactured version of the Stront helmet, and Carlos was very much not keen on that ;)

Glad we went comic style though - Minty was originally pitched as being more like the Urban version (before we even knew about the film, let alone saw it)

The Rogue Trooper guys went with an update, and there were comments about wanting it more like the comic, I understand both sides of the argument.

Certainly with Strontium Dog it has Carlos' design running through it like a stick of rock, we really tried to keep that look throughout, even with the off-the-shelf costume bits, like the guards.

I'm curious to see how the Rogue movie pans out design wise, or if it ever happens Edgar Wright's Strontium Dog.

I think the former (like Dredd) has a bit of room for interpretation, Strontium Dog less so.

sheridan

Judge Minty is currently on 991,687 views - not far off the million mark!

linky