Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manwithnoname

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2018, 09:58:17 AM
I have this friend who hates all the films I love and loves all the films I hate. If he tells me he's watched a film and hated it I always make a point of watching it and, nine times out of ten, I enjoy it. He has the same kind of hit-rate with the films I hate. I suspect Tordels is reasoning along similar lines.

Yeah, but that sounds like "hey look at me! I like/ hate (delete as appropriate) this film that everyone else hates/ likes (delete as appropriate)" which is always suspicious, as it suggests that taking such a stance is actually the only way the individual can pretend to be interesting.

Risible.

I watched "Open House" and it's shit.

Not "haha! so terrible it's great" or "Why does everyone else love this, it's AWFUL?!"

I have no interest in such things. I watched it. It's shit. The End.

The Legendary Shark

That's not what I meant. It's not a case of superior tastes over inferior tastes but different tastes being as useful in selection/appreciation as similar tastes.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2018, 09:58:17 AMI suspect Tordels is reasoning along similar lines.

"Reasoning" might be a strong word for what I'm doing, but "reacting" probably covers it.  I do seem to find myself on the opposite side of whatever opinion manwithnoname is expressing (which is fine, world would be a boring place etc), so I thought I might at least get some use out of the observation.  I've enjoyed rather a lot of things people have assured me are objectively shit, increasingly so these days it seems. So much so that any minute now I fear may transform into SBT(reborn), but without the devilish good looks, obviously.

The Legendary Shark

I refuse to believe you simply react, Tordels - your posts simply ooze reason!

Unlike my own posts, which generally just ooze...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I get that.  I've known people whose tastes have been consistently the opposite of mine it has effected what I consider watching.  Very much in the same vein of watching films recommended by people I know have similar tastes to my own, or just know me well enough to figure I'd get some sort of kick out of watching something.

Last year I had the latter experience when a friend recommended we watched all the Fast and Furious movies together.  I had absolutely no interest in watching them figuring I'd just hate their mediocrity.  Nevertheless, I had a blast watching them with him not least because of how we appreciated how ridiculous they are. 

Our shared experiences help shape our understanding of one another and can inform our choices.  Maybe Tordel will hate the film also, and have a point of commonality with manwithnoname that will effect future decisions.  Maybe Tordel will like the film and affirm the contrary relationship with manwithnoname, but that will still effect future decisions. 
I might be over thinking things a little.

That all being said I can't argue that if someone wanted to watch a film because I said it sucked that it wouldn't feel like a bit of a slap in the face.  I'd hope I wouldn't take it to heart, this forum can have a playful tone at times :)

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 30 January, 2018, 10:47:46 AM
That all being said I can't argue that if someone wanted to watch a film because I said it sucked that it wouldn't feel like a bit of a slap in the face. 

There is that. 

Much as my mother always votes the opposite to my father in any referendum to cancel out his vote (I have no idea why, other than ingrained mischief), so that my father now espouses the contrary view in the run up to any vote, in order to trick her into voting the way he wants... It may be genetic.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 January, 2018, 10:55:22 AM
...my mother always votes the opposite to my father in any referendum to cancel out his vote (I have no idea why, other than ingrained mischief), so that my father now espouses the contrary view in the run up to any vote, in order to trick her into voting the way he wants...

:lol: :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

SIP

The thing with Mr Tordels is that his posts are always so well considered and articulated (with zero aggressive content) that I can't help but reconsider my own opinion on whatever is being discussed.

It doesn't necessarily change my opinion, but it certainly gives me pause to consider a different perspective. That's online discussion I like......I'm not too keen on the "you're wrong and your opinion is stupid" line of debate.

They are just opinions, personal taste....one persons is no more valid than another's.  It's a futile and arrogant pursuit to put someone else's opinion down because it doesn't match your own. What is interesting is people articulating the foundations of their opinion.....when that's done well it can prove enlightening.

SIP

I watched "Commando" with Arnold Schwarzenegger on Sunday. I love it!

Under no circumstances am I going to try and justify that one......I know it's complete rubbish. But I still love it.

TordelBack

Quote from: SIP on 30 January, 2018, 11:33:15 AM

Under no circumstances am I going to try and justify that one......I know it's complete rubbish. But I still love it.

No-one's going to argue with that view, not even on the internet.  It's not my favourite piece of wonderful '80s Arnie drivel, but that's only because there are so many more.

JamesC

I think I've said this before but Commando is one one of my all time favourites. It's the quintessential 80s action film for me (it's a sort of perfect mix combining the budget and slickness of 'superior' films of the period  and the hokeyness and unashamedly unrealistic macho violence found in the straight to video fare).

SIP

Ultimate Arnold for me is Predator.......but you've got to love Vernon Wells "Bennet" as the most hilarious bad guy ever, and the absolute carnage Matrix inflicts when he gets to the island. It is the perfect 80's action movie. Silly and fantastic in equal measure.

JamesC

Predator is good but I actually prefer the second one.

Bennet is such a great villain - just mental. Sully is quite good too - he's such a little shit, you can't wait for Arnold to his hands on him!

von Boom

One of Ah-nuld's best really. Best line has to be 'I'm warning you Sully, this is my weak arm.'

Magnetica

Just watched Mad Max Fury Road on Netflix.

I watched it in two parts, the first 45 mins a couple of weeks ago and the rest last night.

I wasn't  actually all that bothered but was aware of high praise from this forum, so decided to give it a go.

After watching the first "part" I read a few reviews. Basically they said it was one of the greatest ever action movies. I was really surprised to read that.

At that point I was finding it a bit dull, didn't like the manic look and behaviour of the war boys and wasn't really looking forward to another hour plus of car chases in the desert.

I watched the rest last night and was (initially) underwhelmed.

I have subsequently gone back and read huge chunks of the thread on here about it. That has provided great insight into it and has made me think totally differently about it, so much that I have embarked on rewatch. So thanks guys for your three year old posts that are totally relevant for someone watching for the first time now.