Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

I'm not a huge Carey fan - a lot of the titles he's written just do not appeal to me. But I did pick up Faker, and thought it was brilliant! Due for a re-read soon, I think.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Kerrin

Just started "Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut. Anybody read any "Ignition City" yet?

Hoagy

Sirens of Titan is utterly fantastic.[spoiler] Chronosynchlastic Infundubli [/spoiler] will stay with me forever
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Colin YNWA

I'll say it is. I'm a massive Vonnegut fan and would heartily recommend any of his books.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Krombasher on 26 October, 2009, 07:55:10 PM
Sirens of Titan is utterly fantastic.[spoiler] Chronosynchlastic Infundubli [/spoiler] will stay with me forever
Thanks Krom. That phrase has stayed with me for twenty years or more, but I'd long forgotten the book, beyond probably being something I read in a Gollancz classic SF edition.
We never really die.

Hoagy

Uhuh.

I was recommended Slaughterhouse 5 but when it wasn't available we went for Sirens. Since then, I got hold of Slaughterhouse ad found it nowhere near as delicious as Sirens.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Paul faplad Finch

Well, finished The Fear Machine and while it has redeemed Jamie Delano in my eyes to an extent, being a marked improvement over the earlier stories, it still left me a little underwhelmed. I'm gonna keep reading though, for now.

I've been meaning to read a bit of Vonnegut since listening to a reading of Slaughterhouse 5 on Radio 7, which managed to impress me no end, despite the reader being rather underwhelming. The story itself was almost hypmotic. In fact, I'd venture to say that it's the only reading, as opposed to dramatisation, that I've really appreciated on 7. For some reason they don't usually work for me.

As a complete newcomer to Vonnegut, is there one book that people would recommend as a decent starting point?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Quote from: faplad on 28 October, 2009, 03:02:35 AM
As a complete newcomer to Vonnegut, is there one book that people would recommend as a decent starting point?

Not a single work, but the collection Welcome to the Monkey House completely blew my mind when I was a youngish teenager.  
IIRC it has the awesome short 'Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow'. 

Mike Gloady

I heard that reading of Slaughterhouse 5 too - the reader wasn't exactly inspiring, but you'd have to be a stilted, monotone chump of John Major proportions to get in the way of that book.  Loved it, but again, the only Vonnegut I've read (I ran out and bought a copy after two parts and finished it in short order).

So thanks for the recommendation, Tordelback.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm just about set forth on 'The Grey Knights Omnibus' by Ben Counter. It's another Warhammer 40,000 book. It was that or Bill Oddie's autobiography and seeing as I've just finished Roger Moore's I thought I go for a bit of action!

Colin Zeal

At the moment I'm reading A Social History of English Cricket by Derek Birley. Very good, but a bit heavy going at present. Hopefully it will get easier as it goes on.

Mike Gloady

The board's very own Wild Seven (aka Kate, my other half) has chucked a copy of the original Battle Royale novel at me.  Great stuff.  I struggled to read it last night with a horrible gut-ache threatening to distract me.  I fought bravely on.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SmallBlueThing

book 5 of Charlaind Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries: Dead As A Doornail. Top stuff! sbt

wild-seven

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 28 October, 2009, 01:05:59 PM
The board's very own Wild Seven (aka Kate, my other half) has chucked a copy of the original Battle Royale novel at me.  Great stuff.  I struggled to read it last night with a horrible gut-ache threatening to distract me.  I fought bravely on.

It's very good, I highly recommend it. I'm currently reading 'Epitaph for a Spy' by Eric Ambler and dipping into the short stories of M.R James (it's nearly Halloween, a good enough excuse for anyone!)
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Paul faplad Finch

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 28 October, 2009, 02:44:00 PM
book 5 of Charlaind Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries: Dead As A Doornail. Top stuff! sbt

I shall be scouring market stalls and second hand shops for these in the near future.
Can't abide generic tie in covers and so need older editions. Still, it's more fun to hunt them down. Not to mention cheaper.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read