Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Anyway I rewatched EMBRACE OF THE SERPENT today and it's probably in my top 5 of the 21st century so far and it's half as long as Endgame, this has been a PSA.

pictsy

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 07:55:50 PM
Anyway I rewatched EMBRACE OF THE SERPENT today and it's probably in my top 5 of the 21st century so far and it's half as long as Endgame, this has been a PSA.

Not what I'd usually go for these days, but a brief glance and it looks good.  By that I mean the cinematography looks good. 

I've put it on my very long list of films to watch.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 07:46:13 PM
'Peels off the Iron Man labels from the generic action doll, replaces it with a Dr. Strange label.'

There is certainly a sense in which Iron Man / Tony Stark has no character. When a Marvel movie attempts to imbue emotion into an interaction between Banner and Romanoff it's devoid of any heft because (and this is really core to the nature of never-ending comic characters) they don't actually have any character - just a costume or a power or an ability. They're utilitarian creatures. Mannequins. A world of walking MacGuffins.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

inkymonkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 September, 2021, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 September, 2021, 03:11:33 PM

I might have mentioned it a few times....

I remain baffled as to why you keep watching them. Surely, at some point in the 25+ movie franchise you must have thought: these aren't for me...?

Alas its part of my job to know the deal with these fricking things.

I take no joy in this, I would switch places with any of the saints in their moments of agony any time.

No idea what it is you folks do that require you to know the deal with the Marvel films, but the active hatred of them is obvious!

Speaking as someone who actually works on the Marvel films and therefore having to watch them multiple times to know them all backwards, I can say that I manage to find things to enjoy in most of the MCU output. There's always things that you think could be done better or differently, and there's a couple that I do find easily forgotten. But I'd rather go into them looking for positives. Much healthier all round!

This goes for all forms of entertainment, I guess.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 September, 2021, 10:27:46 PM
'Peels off the Iron Man labels from the generic action doll, replaces it with a Dr. Strange label.'

There is certainly a sense in which Iron Man / Tony Stark has no character.

I think he does have character. He is (or at least becomes) a man driven by guilt (Stark Industries' militarism; the loss of Peter Parker) and regret (his relationship with his father), both of which lead to an overdeveloped and overwhelming sense of personal responsibility (his various attempts to 'protect the planet'). And from this comes a profound death wish.

On top of that, he's very funny, charismatic and frequently insufferable. And let's not forget the PTSD.

(Admittedly, Stark has the advantage of appearing in more movies.)

QuoteWhen a Marvel movie attempts to imbue emotion into an interaction between Banner and Romanoff it's devoid of any heft because (and this is really core to the nature of never-ending comic characters) they don't actually have any character - just a costume or a power or an ability. They're utilitarian creatures. Mannequins. A world of walking MacGuffins.

Romanoff's backstory and hence much of her character wasn't really revealed until Black Widow. Half of that is a bit of a cliché, but the family angle is interesting. Like Stark, she's another person motivated by guilt, and personally I find characters driven to redeem themselves inherently interesting.

As for the Banner/Romanoff relationship, I do think you have half a point - it could have done with a movie of its own to explore it. However, the interest for me is the fact we have two obviously lonely people, both of whom have learnt to push down on their emotions.

One could argue that a lot of this is verging on the subliminal, but I find it's there. I think it's one of the reasons that the Marvel movies work better than, say, Star Wars I-III. I don't recall feeling any tears in my eyes during the latter, but quite a few during the Marvels (one or two during The Mandalorian, though).

Regards,

Robin

Tiplodocus

Continuing on the Brad Bird kick with THE INCREDIBLES.

THE INCREDIBLES? More like INCREDIBLE.

Tiny Tips The Next Generation also loved it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Ocean's 8

Ah, redo a movie done almost 20 twenty years ago, but this time with the all female (main) cast.Now I am not a big fan of those movies, but I admire Sodebergh's direction.  In this case, it's no less surprising 2001 film. With cardboard characters and even more cardboard villain (than Andy Garcia was). And while the cast looks actually admirable, I don't see Sandra in any commanding, brain of the group, role. Then there's Awkwafina with her blaccent (I couldn't understand her a bloody thing, but she promised she won't do accents anymore).
Oh, and James Corden is in it. What a waste.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 September, 2021, 08:44:05 PM
I loved it.

I rewatched it for the 4th time at the weekend and still think it's great.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

SHANG-CHI

While we're here I might as well give my thoughts on this latest entry. A perfectly serviceable time let down by some jarring moments of fan wankery and a pretty poor score from West. Had my hopes up from the opening sequence but the rest didn't quite come together. Still probably one of the most fun i've had with one of these since the first Guardians.

Sorry to disappoint the stans but I didn't hate this one, it was fine.

Tiplodocus

What's a Stan?

Rewatched THE MATRIX last night. It's been a while since I did and, has oft been stated,  the knowledge that Lily and Lana have transitioned adds new layers to it.

Anyway, it's great. If i was to nitpick? The dialogue, though meme city, is either servicable, cliched or too on the nose.

And we're Keanu and Hugo really that young
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 September, 2021, 09:38:40 PM
What's a Stan?

UrbanDictionary: A crazed and or obsessed fan. The term comes from the song Stan by Eminem. The term Stan is used to describe a fan who goes to great lengths to obsess over a celebrity.

Absolutely more appropriate to Twitter than private forums but man, the MCU has some real dangerous whack jobs in its fandom.

Woolly

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 September, 2021, 09:45:40 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 September, 2021, 09:38:40 PM
What's a Stan?

UrbanDictionary: A crazed and or obsessed fan. The term comes from the song Stan by Eminem. The term Stan is used to describe a fan who goes to great lengths to obsess over a celebrity.

Absolutely more appropriate to Twitter than private forums but man, the MCU has some real dangerous whack jobs in its fandom.

No offence Hawkmumbler, but I think your obsession with Marvel films being [spoiler]REDACTED[/spoiler] seems a bit stronger than my being a fan of them! :)

Tongue firmly in cheek, of course :)

Hawkmumbler

Please note, my disdain for the house of mouse is only 90% a bit.

Only.