Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What's everyone listening to...?  (Read 236289 times)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: What's everyone listening to...?
« Reply #1815 on: 02 September, 2021, 03:40:35 AM »
snapped ankles. their new album - forest of your problems.
what a band, whoever they are ...
melodic, abrasive, mysterious, weird and loud.

repoman

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • Plate 'o shrimp
    • View Profile
    • The Judge Death Files
« Reply #1816 on: 03 September, 2021, 06:06:16 PM »
The new album by Turnstile is so good.  Melodic, experimental hardcore punk.  Just brilliant throughout.

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #1817 on: 07 September, 2021, 10:55:26 AM »
Having treated myself to a new CD player recently, I'm currently having a MASSIVE adventure with my CD collection, revisiting a lot of old discs and seeing how they benefit from being played on decent kit for the first time in a decade or more.

Over the weekend, I discovered what a difference headphones make. Like a fool, I'd been using my expensive studio monitors. Swapping over to an old pair of £30 Kitsounds (I kid you not!) has opened up a lot of those albums and made them sound much livelier.

Something I've checked out recently is the remixed version of Rush's Vapor Trails album. I remember the original 2002 master copped a LOT of very justified criticism for its production. (One drummer pal of mine told me 'I love the songs, but all I can hear is clipping.)

The weird thing is... I'm not sure I actually prefer this mix. To my ears, there's more detail and plenty of stuff that was previously hidden leaps out of the mix. But it sounds like Geddy Lee's suddenly been put in a box with a mic and pulled way forward from the rest of the mix. His bass is where it should be, but the vocals suddenly sound TOO clear.

It's weird, but I think I prefer the energy of the original mix.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Barrington Boots

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: 07 September, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Something I've checked out recently is the remixed version of Rush's Vapor Trails album. I remember the original 2002 master copped a LOT of very justified criticism for its production. (One drummer pal of mine told me 'I love the songs, but all I can hear is clipping.)

The weird thing is... I'm not sure I actually prefer this mix. To my ears, there's more detail and plenty of stuff that was previously hidden leaps out of the mix. But it sounds like Geddy Lee's suddenly been put in a box with a mic and pulled way forward from the rest of the mix. His bass is where it should be, but the vocals suddenly sound TOO clear.

It's weird, but I think I prefer the energy of the original mix.

I much prefer the remixed version - I know what you mean about the vocals, but the original version is one of those late 90s / early 2000s 'loudness war' production jobs and a lot of the nuance is lost in favour of volume. I've got a whole bunch of albums that could do with a remix on that basis.
Whichever mix you've got though, it's an underrated album imo and in places quite poignant. I think I'll give it a spin later today!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Lorne; it's a square thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: 07 September, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
listening to the sound of jackhammers, drills and macadam mayhem as the entire four lanes outside are dug up...again
DDT did a job on me

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #1820 on: 07 September, 2021, 01:16:18 PM »
I much prefer the remixed version - I know what you mean about the vocals, but the original version is one of those late 90s / early 2000s 'loudness war' production jobs and a lot of the nuance is lost in favour of volume. I've got a whole bunch of albums that could do with a remix on that basis.
Whichever mix you've got though, it's an underrated album imo and in places quite poignant. I think I'll give it a spin later today!

You're not wrong! I remember being quite disappointed that the original mix was such a full-on assault. Especially after wondering for so long if Test For Echo would be their last album.

I need to give the remix a deeper listen. There's a few instances where I really appreciate being able to hear additional detail. But I also detect a few elements that were straight up *not there* in the original mix, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'm basically just a bit sore about how Secret Touch (my favourite track on the album) has been handled in the remix. Don't get me wrong - just as with everything else on the album, it's nice to hear a more sonically cleaned up version of it. But when it gets to the part where Alex Lifeson lets rip, it feels like all the guts have been shovelled out of it. 
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/