Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

THE PRICE YOU PAY by Spear of Destiny. Or rather, the second four tracks on side two. Rarely use the stereo these days and the album seems to have taken up permanent residence in the tape deck.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Aonghus

Was up till 3am listening to A Tribe Called Quest. Delicious.

mygrimmbrother

The H.P Lovecraft Literary Podcast, lots.

Frank

Quote from: Light Surfer on 03 May, 2012, 09:50:46 AM
Also getting a lot of play are Black Keys and two live Springsteen albums from the 70's, Live from the Main Point and Live from the Hammersmith Odeon.....two delicious early offerings from the Boss.

Wasn't fussed about The Black Keys until Lonely Boy.

You know that seen in Back to the Future where Michael J Fox paradoxically (i) invents Rock 'n' Roll?
Lonely Boy sounds like what would happen if Mark Bolan had travelled back in time to a High School in rural Mississippi: "Hello, Howlin'? This is your cousin Marvin'; Marvin' Wolf. You know that new sound you' lookin' for? Well, listen to this ..."

Having said that, if you can listen to white boy electric blues with a straight face after watching Ghostworld, you're a better man than me.

(i) The film was made in the same decade in which Casey Kasem tried to convince me that Michael Boulton was the US's top Soul and R&B artist, so I suppose Robert Zemeckis's wasn't the most egregious perversion of language, common sense and cultural sensitivity.

judgefloyd

Quote from: bikini kill on 02 May, 2012, 07:07:06 PM
Quote from: judgefloyd on 02 May, 2012, 01:34:43 PM
Also have rediscovered David Bowie thanks to a precocious friend of my son's who loaned me all her CDs

Duh, Dave Bowie's a dude.

My son's friend is female.  My son's friend loaned me all my son's friend's David Bowie CDs.  I hope that's cleared it up for you.
  Keep trying with the reading, you'll get there.

Beaky Smoochies

Fleetwood Mac, namely 'Tusk' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cma0uziW8DE - a truly great album, song , and music video... Stevie Nicks looking absolutely ravenous, she can twirl my baton anytime (sorry, just couldn't resist that :-[), absolutely hypnotic...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

TordelBack

Yeah, the Stevie Nicks of that era was simply magic.

Frank

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 06 May, 2012, 07:11:05 AM
Stevie Nicks looking absolutely ravenous

That explains why her arse grew to the size of a VW bug in the following years.

Whatever you think of the music, the West Coast Rock dream was rotten to the core, and the personal trajectory of those involved makes for a better critique of the aesthetic than I could offer. The free spirited hippy naif who looks so sweet twirling her baton in that video is also a self obsessed, careerist coke head, who'll hoover up anything- food, drugs, men, phony spiritualism- that makes her feel she's achieving her dream of self fulfillment.

There is something fascinating and (superficially) appealing about that era, so thanks for the link, Beaky; but it's impossible to watch those lithe bodies and smiling faces without reflecting on how the hippy dream of personal freedom turned into the ugly individualism and recriminations of the Eighties.

JOE SOAP

Pop stars are rarely the great minds of any generation and the so called personal freedom of the hippy era and eighties individualism were more or less different expressions of the same ideas of self-obsession but with better P.R., different drugs and a fatter, needier wallet. Things are worse now, the only ideal is the the fame and the money, any extraneous philosophies are bypassed completely.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 May, 2012, 09:50:49 AM
(T)he so called personal freedom of the hippy era and eighties individualism were more or less different expressions of the same ideas of self-obsession but with better P.R., different drugs and a fatter, needier wallet.

[EDIT]the hippy dream of personal freedom REVEALED ITS TRUE NATURE AND ULTIMATE EXPRESSION AS the ugly individualism and recriminations of the Eighties[EDIT]

Natch, Soap, but Beaky's right that some of the music, most of the artists (though not their hair), and the idea of life in sun kissed Laurel Canyon must have held great appeal in that decade, especially to anyone living their prime teenage years amid the drab misery of a grey Northern European country that was still struggling to shake off the poverty and devastation that followed WWII.

It's interesting that the response to that dilemma of our own islands was Glam Rock. There's something endearingly sad- but ultimately admirable- about the tawdry attempts of the likes of Mud and Glitter to inject life and colour into a dying culture.

Ziggy Stardust and Country Life are the albums you make when it's raining outside and everything around you is dead or dying, Eagles and Rumours are the albums you make when you're the sons and daughters of the folks with more money, more food and more military/industrial/political muscle than any nation in history and it's hot and sunny every fucking day. Each has their charms and their flaws.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: bikini kill on 06 May, 2012, 09:04:17 AM
Whatever you think of the music, the West Coast Rock dream was rotten to the core, and the personal trajectory of those involved makes for a better critique of the aesthetic than I could offer. The free spirited hippy naif who looks so sweet twirling her baton in that video is also a self obsessed, careerist coke head, who'll hoover up anything- food, drugs, men, phony spiritualism- that makes her feel she's achieving her dream of self fulfillment.
There is something fascinating and (superficially) appealing about that era, so thanks for the link, Beaky; but it's impossible to watch those lithe bodies and smiling faces without reflecting on how the hippy dream of personal freedom turned into the ugly individualism and recriminations of the Eighties.

Bloody hell, all I did was answer this thread's question and I got a detailed socio-cultural dissertation on the excesses of the 1970's West Coast clique, that being said, Stevie Nicks can hoover me up anytime she likes, I don't care how large her derriere (pardon my french) got in recent years, the music in the '70's was ace, and that was my point, but I see your point, bikini kill dude, and you are right as it happens, but still... it's Stevie Nicks twirling a baton, c'mon man, do you have ice water in your veins, IT'S STEVIE NICKS (all of 30 years old at the time) TWIRLING A BATON!!! 

Sorry about that, I'm off to, uh, have a cold shower...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

DoomBot

Hawkwind's New Album

New Hawkwind albums make me happy  :)

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

judgefloyd

Hawkwind have a new album?  I remember listening to them in high school (a loooooooooong time ago).  That and directing me to Stevie Nicks' baton-twirling skills - this thread is  a mine of information

Spaceghost

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 06 May, 2012, 07:11:05 AMFleetwood Mac, namely 'Tusk'

So called, apparently, because 'tusk' was Mick Fleetwood's nickname for his cock.

I've been listening to DROKK a lot. It's brilliant and making me want to see the new film even more.

Also, after going to see Edan and Mr. Lif, headliners on the Trap Door Rapp Tour, I bought albums by Paten Lock and Willie Evans Jr. who were also on the bill.

They could both be described as 'geek rap' filled with numerous references to comics, sci-fi and video games.

Paten Locke's Super Ramen Rocketship seems to be more up my street after an initial listen. It's got big fat boom-bap beats, funky samples and fast flowing rhymes and is generaly quite upbeat.

Willie Evans Jr.'s Introducin' is a quiter, less immediate album which I predict will grow on me the more I listen to it. His flow is reminiscent of MF Doom without sounding like imitation and the beats and samples are more subtle but interesting nonetheless.

Both recommended for fans of hip hop who, like me, hate the bling-bling gangsta bullshit often associated with the genre.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...