Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Speaking of Queen, Muse have a new single out. Supremacy, from their 2nd Law album, sounds like they might have wrote it as a potential Bond theme when they heard Amy Winehouse was out of the running. Remember when every britpop band was sounded out to do the theme tune for Tomorrow Never Dies? The only one I can remember now is Pulp's Tomorrow Never Lies (which was a bit shite, to be honest).

Supremacy nods towards Thunderball, but it's the same Live and Let Die pastiche which any rock band doing Bond always veers towards - see also Jack White - but it's mostly just a bit mental, and certainly much less dull than Adele's tune. The surfing in the video provokes unwelcome memories of Die Another Day, but the tune really owes as much to Spaghetti Westerns and Zeppelin as it does to John Barry. I like all of those things.

Professor Bear

I was convinced for the longest time that John Prine was a music act in the same way Goldie Lookin Chain or The Darkness were music acts, but knowing that he is a serious musician and that Sam Stone is a serious song somehow just makes it even more hysterical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs

DrJomster

Invaders Must Die by The Prodigy is my new music for hitting the treadmill with. Totally does the business!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Noisybast

I'm currently in the process of copying all the best stuff from my not-inconsiderable music collection over to the 32gb microSD card in my phone. What am I listening to? *Everything* :)
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Has anyone else heard the David Bowie remix of 'Sound and Vision' that they're using in the new Sony ad?

I can't find a full version of it. Does anyone know if such a thing has been released?
You may quote me on that.

judda fett

Frank

Quote from: judda fett on 13 March, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
Getting my Metal quotient with 'Resistance Now's by Senser-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmLb5rszAh8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I used to love Senser - they haven't changed. I'd written The Vaccines off as horrible sub-Libertines chancers, but Bad Mood is more reminiscent of Magazine/Buzzcocks than spotty Pete & Co. The lyrics and singing are atrocious, but that's a given with Indie pish and they're mitigated by the pleasing echoes of Steve Diggle's geetar style. 

Spikes

Quote from: El Pops on 13 March, 2013, 02:28:37 PM
Has anyone else heard the David Bowie remix of 'Sound and Vision' that they're using in the new Sony ad?

I can't find a full version of it. Does anyone know if such a thing has been released?

Ive no idea if its available elsewhere - hopefully it is, as it is indeed quite brilliant.

Frank

Michael Nyman's L'escargot, from Peter Greenaway's A Zed and Two Noughts came on the radio today, and it's been rattling round my head like a blue bottle ever since. It's an insane piece of music.

CrazyFoxMachine

Blimey my missus and I saw that film recently. BONKERS and pretentious as the day is long.

I recently got my ears around Bo Ningen's Line the Wall

"
Bo Ningen, a Tokyo quartet resident in London, resist geographical and musical categorization.

Their second album launches at hardcore velocity with Soko, but douses the explosives with swathes of psychedelic guitar; Chitei Ningen Mogura and Daikaisei Part II channel Hawkwind's space-biker blues; Nichiyou is louse-infested funk-metal; 32 Kaiten is a downtown New York drone shadowing Sonic Youth; Ten To Sen's comatose floatation tank dream pop drone recalls their countrymen Boris' meditative moments. Bo Ningen offer a perfectly blended cocktail of all the best back catalogues. "

Not my words, but unbelievably those of Stewart Lee who's quite fond of them. If that sounds like your bag, I'd check it out. It's certainly mine.

Bag that is.

Frank

I know what you mean, Fox, but in the olden days we just watched whatever was on telly. I'm rewatching The Cook, The Thief ... at the moment, and it's exactly as poncey but not half as random as I remember it being when I was a wee boy. It still feels as if it isn't for the likes of me, but that makes mastering it and assigning it a place on my personal critical pantheon (above White Chicks but well below They Live) a more rewarding experience.

I liked Bo Lingen, but I'd be surprised if every review they ever get doesn't make the same Sonic Youth comparison as Stuart Lee does. I like my unlistenable Japanese noise to be genuinely unlistenable.

ChickenStu

Digging Bowie's new one. Heavy replay value.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: ChickenStu on 15 March, 2013, 11:49:24 PM
Digging Bowie's new one. Heavy replay value.

Yup. I'm loving it. Uncovering new stuff with every replay.

mogzilla

reliving my wasted youth with some def leppard

Spikes