Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sepp Salerno

Been force fed the Misfits in a mates van on the drive home

JOE SOAP

strangelysaucy

Well blow me down with a feather that looks very interesting indeed Mr. Soap sir
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 April, 2013, 12:28:04 AM

3 BLACK PUNKS FROM DETROIT

"I don't know of a story like that. Not one". He's obviously never seen Searching For Sugarman", but at least this version will have better tunes. This promises to be an interesting look at the way the canon and musical history are created by selective memory and the active exclusion of anything (and anyone) which doesn't fit into the picture taste makers are trying to create. You're a groovy fucker, Soap.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 25 April, 2013, 07:04:46 PM
Quote from: ChickenStu on 24 April, 2013, 09:25:59 AM
Anyone reckon that new Daft Punk album will be worth a punt? New single really growing on me.
I'll buy the album, but that's not really the way I listen to music anymore. I honestly can't remember the last time a single was released which felt so immediately perfect and immense as Get Lucky, or which was so universally embraced.
Really can't get behind this one at all. Even through it's veneer of French irony the core of the track is just too unpleasantly funky for me. Strange what expectations will do though, if it hadn't been by Daft Punk there's no way I'd've listened to the whole track in the first place.

In less negative news, I picked up a new compilation of Flying Saucer Attack rarities last weekend. Which is nice.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 April, 2013, 01:17:55 PM
Even through it's veneer of French irony the core of the track is just too unpleasantly funky for me.

I love formless drone rock as much as the next man, Cosh, but can something be unpleasantly funky? Funk's the aural triangulation between your nuts, arse and ears; if something doesn't appeal to all three of those, it's not really funk. It's an inherently appealing and positive form.

Sepp Salerno

Quote from: strangelysaucy on 27 April, 2013, 12:41:09 AM
Well blow me down with a feather that looks very interesting indeed Mr. Soap sir
Agreed. The poster alone has got me intrigued

Spikes

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 27 April, 2013, 12:28:04 AM

3 BLACK PUNKS FROM DETROIT

Death
...For The Whole World To See

Interesting stuff. And those sound clips from the second link are brilliant. Some top tunes, there.  My new favourite band? Could well be.
Having a fairly good knowledge of the history of US (proto)punk, but i dont recall ever coming across any mention of 'Death' before.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 27 April, 2013, 03:44:46 PM
Even through it's veneer of French irony the core of the track is just too unpleasantly funky for me.

I love formless drone rock as much as the next man, Cosh, but can something be unpleasantly funky? Funk's the aural triangulation between your nuts, arse and ears; if something doesn't appeal to all three of those, it's not really funk. It's an inherently appealing and positive form.

If you don't like this 'born of funk' or this 'funk-o-meter just blew up!' you're unfunkily maladjusted.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2013, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 27 April, 2013, 03:44:46 PM

If you don't like this 'born of funk' or this 'funk-o-meter just blew up!' you're unfunkily maladjusted.

If it doesn't make you walk to the kitchen and put the kettle on in the style of Huggy Bear, it isn't funk. That link features a white hippy playing a violin through a wicka-wacha-wah-wah effects pedal, and it's still funky. Sad that Sly stooped to sampling Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation on that track.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 28 April, 2013, 12:57:45 PM

If it doesn't make you walk to the kitchen and put the kettle on in the style of Huggy Bear, it isn't funk. That link features a white hippy playing a violin through a wicka-wacha-wah-wah effects pedal, and it's still funky.

It's like a funky Hawkwind/King Crimson.

My favourite Sly story:

Back in the 1970s, when Sly was enjoying  life in Beverly Hills, tanked up with PCP and cocaine, he amused himself by keeping a pet baboon who would regularly torture his other pet – a bulldog – by teasing it and then leaping up out of its reach onto a fence. After many hours of watching this, Sly decided to teach the baboon a lesson: he smeared the fence with grease. Next time the ape leaped out of the way, he fell back down at the dog's mercy. In the words of witness Larry Graham, "that dog turned the monkey over and fucked it."

judda fett

Good Sly anecdote, brought to mind the Charlie Murphy 'True Hollywood Stories' of Rick James.

"Fuck yo' couch"

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2013, 02:30:45 PM
Back in the 1970s, when Sly was enjoying  life in Beverly Hills, tanked up with PCP and cocaine, he amused himself by keeping a pet baboon who would regularly torture his other pet – a bulldog – by teasing it and then leaping up out of its reach onto a fence. After many hours of watching this, Sly decided to teach the baboon a lesson: he smeared the fence with grease. Next time the ape leaped out of the way, he fell back down at the dog's mercy. In the words of witness Larry Graham, "that dog turned the monkey over and fucked it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N_eCLJglhy4#t=20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ny-cf1A-e64#t=9s

Frank

I promise I'll shut up about it, but Get Lucky is the nation's and (astonishingly Daft Punk's first) number one single.

Sepp Salerno

Quote from: sauchie on 28 April, 2013, 10:35:08 PM
I promise I'll shut up about it, but Get Lucky is the nation's and (astonishingly Daft Punk's first) number one single.
Awesome. Man what a duo. I've seen them live and it's like an out of body experience - about time they had a number 1