Main Menu

Commando Kennedy

Started by Proudhuff, 11 March, 2003, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I recently saw a 'Commando' comic in a newsagent so I bought it just to see what it was like as I thought these were no more. Inside the cover was a one page pinup picture of a plane signed by Kennedy, judging from the drawing it certainly look like Cam Kennedy's work.

nice surprise

proudhuff
DDT did a job on me

GordonR

I've got some of them too.  He's in loads of Commando books - pin-ups of helicopters etc on the inside front cover.

He must have done them 20 years or more ago (I think I remember seeing them first time around...) but, in the usual DC Thomson style, they just keep on recyling them.

jock

Could also be Ian Kennedy- who did loads of Commando stuff+ one or two Dredd covers/stories too. Cam normally just signs 'Cam' IIRC

The Ian Kennedy story having a splash shot completely ripped off from Mike McMahon...

Jock

paulvonscott

It's Ian Kennedy, master of the plane pic!

Incidentally I have a rare (not in the valuable sense) SF Commando which Cam Kennedy did draw.  Very nice it was too.

Proudhuff

i stand corrected, but I thought the slinky wimmin and robot dog piloting the plane were a give away...
(joking!) :)

proudhuff
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

See the interveiw with the man himself elsewhere on this site, he mentions the Commando books in it.

Trout

Coming to this very late...

DC Thomson do produce some reprint Commando books, but IIRC it's just two out of eight Commandoes produced each month.

The Kennedy in question is indeed Ian, who continues to work despite his advancing years and has new art commissioned for the books on a regular basis.

He's a master of "war comic art," especially technical stuff like planes, and has worked for many comics over his decades in the business, including 2000AD.

For your consideration: the double-page spread with the ME 109s arriving over the Big Meg thanks to a "time tunnel" or something.

"Himmel! This isn't Stalingrad!"

Wonderful stuff. The man's a master.

- Trout

Matt Timson

"Welcome to Airbase Hell"

Class...
Pffft...

judda fett

When I was 8 I had a two foot high stash of Commandos given to me by a neighbour. Buggered if I know where they are now. :(

HiEx

For your consideration: the double-page spread with the ME 109s arriving over the Big Meg thanks to a "time tunnel" or something.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm......always remember that story as being drawn by Ron Smith.

HiEx

Smiley

Ron Smith did the episode, Ian Kennedy did the cover.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/thumbnails/446thumb.jpg">

Tex Hex

Anyone read the "War Story" issue recently with Cam Kennedy? I pretty much was commando comic but with swearing.

Proudhuff

Now thats how the Big-Meg should look!

Also sorry to anyone who deeked at this thread thinking it was about Sara kennedy sans-culottes
Mddenpus
DDT did a job on me

Art

"Johans Tiger", the one Ennis did with Chris Weston,  was like the best "good german soliders who are not nazis regret the war and then get killed on their way to surrender to the yanks not the Russians" Commando comic evah!http://www.arthurwyatt.co.uk/images/blog/bitmaptiger.jpg">