Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 18 August, 2017, 07:22:50 PM
Also, I'd definitely consider Shako a forgotten classic, despite its reputation!

Oh, I think that Shako is fondly remembered by those who read it the first time around - most of us first saw it as a much hacked about reprint in one of the annuals, which didn't do it any favours.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 19 August, 2017, 07:20:15 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 18 August, 2017, 07:22:50 PM
Also, I'd definitely consider Shako a forgotten classic, despite its reputation!

Oh, I think that Shako is fondly remembered by those who read it the first time around - most of us first saw it as a much hacked about reprint in one of the annuals, which didn't do it any favours.

Yeah defo. While its no Flesh (but then what is) I do think its considered one of the early jewels in Tharg's crown. Certainly when I've discussed it here the thoughts of folks joining in has been overwhelmingly positive.

The Legendary Shark

It was one of my favourites too, although I must admit that as a sharkling I mispronounced the name as Shake-oh, which grizzled old me still thinks sounds better, somehow.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 August, 2017, 09:15:43 PM
It was one of my favourites too, although I must admit that as a sharkling I mispronounced the name as Shake-oh, which grizzled old me still thinks sounds better, somehow.

You're not alone there, Shark-oh. Although I hear Pat maintains it's actually pronounced ''Shawk-nya'.

The Legendary Shark

"Shawk-nya" - brilliant, now I have hot chocolate all over my chin!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2017, 09:20:12 PM
You're not alone there, Shark-oh. Although I hear Pat maintains it's actually pronounced ''Shawk-nya'.

What! This information is making me question everything I believe! Even more so than learning that M.A.C.H. 1 is pronounced "Mack 1" instead of "Mock 1." But somehow less than learning that it's "Jerry" Finley-Day instead of "Gary" Finley-Day. Pronouncing things is hard!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

The Legendary Shark

I used to mispronounce MACH 1 too. I called it "Match 1."

No wonder I is become an writist...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 20 August, 2017, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2017, 09:20:12 PM

What! This information is making me question everything I believe! Even more so than learning that M.A.C.H. 1 is pronounced "Mack 1" instead of "Mock 1." But somehow less than learning that it's "Jerry" Finley-Day instead of "Gary" Finley-Day. Pronouncing things is hard!

In case you don't know he's just messing with you...

The pronunciation of Sláine should be Slawnya rather than the more common Slain and that comes up occasionally.

Colin YNWA

Just listened to the Cursed Earth Episode (Jez I've almost caught up - how the hell did that happen!) and while I tend not to buy trades of comics I already own it appears I like listening to Pod casts of stuff I've already heard. Nice work, well edited together and with the 'Introduction' and the 'Bonus Material' at the end it really worked. Really looking forward to the Shako one now... but I hope to have something cute to  go with that ... we'll see.

Anyway Conrad raises a very interesting question about the Cursed Earth I misquote.

"Can Cursed Earth be considered the greatest Dredd story since its missing that vital character of Mega City One".

To which I answer yes... I'm not sure it is... but it might be.

See the absense of Mega City One for me defines it as a Dredd story, its about Joe Dredd the person, not Judge Dredd the impecible upholder of the law. Away from the system that defines his actions we get to see Dredd the man. As has often been said it shows a far more heroic Dredd, a more traditional hero character. That though is who Dredd is as a man. Sure he's hard, mean, surly bastard, but the man himself is an out and out hero. He's determined, indefatigable but released from the city and the law that so shapes him we see that yes indeed he's a relentless pursuer of justice in its real sense, rather than the justice as defined by Mega City Law.

You comment on the fact that during this story we see the look if Dredd defined, I'd also say we fully realise the character of Dredd too, unbound by the system that shapes him. So for me you could argue that its the best story about Joe Dredd rather than Judge Dredd...

... oh and you know kick ass dinosaurs - so that's double value!

SpaceSpinner2000

Dinos make everything better, that is a fact!

I think I mostly agree with what you're saying about the Cursed Earth. It's very important as the FIRST Dredd epic to really solidify what we like about the character and to define him going forward. I'm pretty sure in a couple places that the Cursed Earth is where Dredd becomes Dredd. I don't actually have a favorite epic to suggest instead of the Cursed Earth, but I love Mega City One and all of its ridiculousness so much that I just can't make a story that mostly takes place outside of it my number one, you know? Right now from what we've done on the show my Dredd epic rankings are:
1. <Vacant>
2. Cursed Earth
3. Judge Child
4. Judge Cal
A lot of me making a big deal about this is from right when they announced the Mega City One TV show, and there were a ton of articles suggesting Dredd storylines to be adapted to the small screen, and the Cursed Earth is always the top one. I really disagree with that, because to me you have to spend time building up the city before you can leave it, otherwise there's no contrast or sense of adventure or whatever. I dunno, just my random mumblings really :D

It's awesome you've caught up though! I listen to a lot of podcasts and it's always both cool and depressing to get caught up on a show, because suddenly you're getting drip-fed episodes. I'm glad you like the collections also, they are a blast to make if you're like me and love laughing at your own jokes :D Thanks for sticking with us!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-seventh episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 184-188 of 2000 AD, covering November of 1980. Join us as we meet a new entrepreneur on the scene of Mega-City 1, the Strontium Dogs go on travels with Hitler, the revolt begins in Meltdown Man, and we get thrown in the deep end immediately as we Return to Armageddon!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 21 August, 2017, 04:42:42 AM

A lot of me making a big deal about this is from right when they announced the Mega City One TV show, and there were a ton of articles suggesting Dredd storylines to be adapted to the small screen, and the Cursed Earth is always the top one. I really disagree with that, because to me you have to spend time building up the city before you can leave it, otherwise there's no contrast or sense of adventure or whatever. I dunno, just my random mumblings really :D

Yes this is absolutely spot on.

As much as I love Cursed Earth a rigidly indecent amount, to launch a show called Judge Dredd - Mega City One with it would be kinda missing the point. I mean the clues on the title. That's not to say it wouldn't work on telly, far from it. But in a show called Judge Dredd MEGA CITY ONE... take the hint huh!

Now if they launch a spin-off I'm down with that... now a good launch story for the show might well be covered in your current pod-cast... though you might want to break in the craziness a little easier than good old Otto? That kinda turning the crazy straight to 11!

SpaceSpinner2000

The pilot of the future blasts off as Dan Dare and his band of space criminals head off for the Lost Worlds in the third in our series of Space Spinner Collections! These collections have all of our coverage for a specific character or storyline, all in one place. They're a great accompaniment to reading collected versions of 2000AD, or to just hear your favorite thrill all in one place.

This week we head to back to the very early days of 2000AD, and to deep space as English legacy space explorer Dan Dare returns to 2000AD after a brief retooling, and proceeds to have a bunch of awesome space adventures! Check it out, and learn why the "Battle Action Playset" era is our favorite Dan Dare!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

The Monarch

surprised the new ep wasn't posted here but you do know emberton was one of ian gibsons pen names right?

SpaceSpinner2000

I've been out of town and away from my computer with all the links and stuff I use to make show posts, will have it up momentarily. Usually I try to say something like "Ian Gibson drawing as Emberton" or something like that, Sorry if I missed it that time!