Main Menu

SPACEWARP - New Venture from Pat Mills

Started by Bolt-01, 05 April, 2019, 08:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Even Marvel are switching to that format. I got a recent omnibus of Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur in that size which collected two of the usual size trades.

On the subject of who buys The Phoenix, in my experience it seems to only be parents who are into comics who are aware of it. Kids love it once they read it, but far too few will ever see a copy.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

and yet. and yet. and yet. issue 514 has just come out.

IndigoPrime

Because it's—currently—still commercially viable to sell floppies that are then compiled into more lucrative collections. But note how Image recently said it wouldn't be taking comics to second prints now. Things are changing. Heck, the UK newsstand alone should be evidence of that. (Still, there has been a sort of revival in comics of late, so perhaps that uptick can continue. But it does feel like the same kind of uptick vinyl fetishists bang on about, which is like that little upward lip at the end of a ski jump.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 November, 2021, 02:17:08 PM
But note how Image recently said it wouldn't be taking comics to second prints now.

Paper shortage. It's really grim in periodical publishing right now.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Paper shortage, yeah, but that means you prioritise. Multiple prints of monthlies don't win out.

pauljholden

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 November, 2021, 06:44:37 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 November, 2021, 02:17:08 PM
But note how Image recently said it wouldn't be taking comics to second prints now.

Paper shortage. It's really grim in periodical publishing right now.

(forgive me if you're implying this and all I'm doing is restating the same thing with a slightly differen emphasis)

I'm guessing this is much more to do with the rise in paper costs due to shortages than it being a simple matter of there being not as much paper; it's probably lot less economically viable to do the small numbers of a second print run than it used to be.

rogue69

Pat Mills has said on Twitter that Spacewarp 2 has an ETA of 6 months until it's release, but don't hold your breath on this

GordonR

All those non-existent 10 year-olds on Twitter will be agog at this news.

IndigoPrime

Be fair, Gordon: it's perfectly standard between issues of a comic to wait a mere *checks notes* four... years...

Yeah. My 9yo gets antsy when her Phoenix is a day late.

The Legendary Shark

Well, you have to admire his sticktoitiveness, I guess.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Talking of the Phoenix, mini-Solo greatly enjoyed their April Fools issue. 2000 AD's long-running Regened gag usurps it, though, in terms of dedication to the bit.

Shurely there's come mileage to be had blaming the Spacewarp delays on some kind of wormhole fiasco? (And if Pat uses my great idea, I'd also like to be recompensed for the research I did. Ten quid should cover it.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

rogue69

Ian Ashcroft's artwork for the Hellbreaker story, which he updates regularly on his Patron & Facebook pages is looking really nice. But he is working slowly on this as he has a normal job & only has limited time to work on this

GordonR

The important question is, will this be available as an NFT?  And with some AI art content?

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 April, 2024, 07:06:18 PMTalking of the Phoenix, mini-Solo greatly enjoyed their April Fools issue.
The Spoons issue last year was a masterstroke. Mini-IP was young enough that it did actually catch her out. She was ready for this year's gag, but appreciated their dedication to all things egg. I bloody love that comic. During the rare occasions I get to see it. (Mini-IP sometimes takes pity on me and suggests I read Bunny vs Monkey or something. But I haven't read No Country in weeks now.)