Main Menu

Tharg’s 2021 in Review - Best Dredd

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 December, 2021, 07:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

While other stories come and go Dredd is always there and always of a certain standard. So in reviewing the year he can't be ignored. As such we've given him his own category. Across both Prog and Meg (combined vote) what has been your favourite Dredd tales. We're not looking at size we're looking at quality here. So doesn't matter if it's one parter, or an epic its just which have you enjoyed the most?

I'm going to provide a list provided by Batman's Superior Cousin in my next post, in a sec of all the Dredd stories, well those in the Prog or Meg and basically whatever else he decided to include as he's done SUCH a bang up job on this (and also reminded me I did this last year and should probably do it again!)

Format is easy. Simply look at the list in the next post(s) - and post your top three in a reply to this thread - just make sure to clearly indicate your order using the format below - with the points awarded for each placing:

(1st, foremost and best) = 5 points
(2nd runner up) = 3 points
(Bronze who cares really) = 1 point

If you don't make it clear I'll award all your mentioned votes 3 points each.

The vote will run for a week and I'll announce the winner early shall we say Tuesday 4th January... hopefully... we'll see....

If you have any questions just ask and I'll wing it as normal...

Colin YNWA

Judge Dredd in the Prog - list created by Batman's Superior Cousin

Desperadlands (Prog 2213-2216) Script: Mick Carroll; Art: William Simpson; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Naked City (Prog 2217); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Dan Cornwell; Colours: Jim Boswell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Health and Happiness (Prog 2218); Script: Rob Williams; Art: Simon Coleby; Colours: Len O'Grady; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Against The Clock (Prog 2219); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Patrick Goddard; Colours: Dylan Teague; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Cadet Dredd: Suboptimal (Regened Prog 2220); Script: Arthur Wyatt; Art: Davide Tinto
Colours: Gary Caldwell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Who Killed Captain Cookies? (Prog 2221-2224); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: PJ Holden; Colours: Quinton Winter; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

A Penitent Man (Prog 2225-2230); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Tom Foster; Colours: Chris Blythe; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Easy Money (Prog 2231-2232); Script: Mike Carroll; Art: Simon Fraser; Colours: Gary Caldwell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Lawbreaker (Regened Prog 2233); Script: Liam Johnson; Art: Jake Lynch; Colours: Jim Boswell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Adios, Rowdy Yates (Prog 2234); Script: Chris Weston; Art: Chris Weston; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Brief Encounter (Prog 2235); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Dylan Teague; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Removal Man (Prog 2236-2239); Script: John Wagner; Art: Colin MacNeil; Colours: Chris Blythe; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Biohazard (Sci-Fi Special); Script: Mike Carroll; Art: Ben Willsher; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Apotheosis (Sci-Fi Special); Script: Mike Carroll and Maura McHugh; Art: James Newell; Colours: Jim Boswell; Letters: Simon Bowland

Now That's What I Call Justice (Prog 2240-2245); Script: John Wagner; Art: John Higgins; Colours: Sally Hurst; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Cadet Dredd: The Block with No Name (Regened Prog 2246); Script: Liam Johnson; Art: Duane Redhead; Colours: John Charles; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

The House on Bleaker Street (Prog2247-2249); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Nick Percival; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

The Hard Way (Prog 2250-2255); Script: Rob Williams and Arthur Wyatt; Art: Jake Lynch; Colours: Jim Boswell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Cadet Dredd: Full Throttle (Regened Prog 2256); Script: Liam Johnson; Art: Ben Willsher; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Tread Softly (Prog 2257-2258); Script: Mike Carroll; Art: Simon Coleby; Colours: John Charles; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

The Musical! (Prog 2259-2261); Script: Rob Williams; Art: Chris Weston; Colours: Gary Caldwell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Trinity (Prog 2262); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Richard Elson; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Colin YNWA

Judge Dredd in the Meg - List again provide by Batman's Superior Cousin

The Night Flyer (Meg 428); Script: Kenneth Niemand; Art: Patrick Goddard; Colours: Pippa Bowland; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Destiny's Child (Meg 429); Script: Kenneth Niemand; Art: Simon Coleby; Colours: Len O'Grady; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

One For the Ages (Meg 430); Script: Rory McConville; Art: Karl Richardson; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Don't Drokk with Bob (Meg 431-432); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Ian Richardson; Colours: Jim Boswell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Project Providence (Meg 433-435); Script: Rory McConville; Art: Staz Johnson; Colours: Pippa Bowland; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Francisco? (Meg 436); Script: Rory McConville; Art: Nick Dyer; Colours: Gary Caldwell; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

A Dream of a Thousand Flowers (Meg 437); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Colin MacNeil; Colours: Chris Blythe; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Dez Rez (Meg 438); Script: Ian Edginton; Art: Dave Tylor; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

Saviour (Meg 439); Script: Ken Niemand; Art: Steven Austin; Colours: Matt Soffe; Letters: Annie Parkhouse

broodblik

Some good Dredd stories this year so here we go:

1. The Hard Way
2. Now That's What I Call Justice
3. Dez Rez
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Trooper McFad

Now that's what I call Justice
Naked City
A Pentitent man
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Huey2

Removal man
Now that's what I call justice
Adios rowdy yates

GoGilesGo

Caveat : I have not yet read Now that's what I call Justice and judging by the votes so far, I am seriously missing something.

That said...

A Penitent Man - Great sociological storytelling by KN; I'd love to see more fallout from this 6-parter.

Adios, Rowdy Yates - Sheer volumes in that final line. Perfection.

Brief Encounter - Sassy & thoughtful, yet another superb one and done character portrait from Niemand. Maybe the best looking Dredd of the year, too.

Best of The Meg - How Do You Solve A Problem Like Francisco?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 December, 2021, 07:59:19 AM
I'm going to provide a list provided by Batman's Superior Cousin in my next post, in a sec of all the Dredd stories, well those in the Prog or Meg and basically whatever else he decided to include as he's done SUCH a bang up job on this (and also reminded me I did this last year and should probably do it again!)

Thank you, you're so kind!!! Though if there is one little gripe, it's that it's not formatted the way that I formatted it...
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 28 December, 2021, 05:31:23 PM

Thank you, you're so kind!!! Though if there is one little gripe, it's that it's not formatted the way that I formatted it...

No, sorry about that, number of reasons - mainly the format you kindly sent it in was PDF and so when I copy and pasted I needed to rejig all the formating . Secondly wanted to faff with little bits to make it easier to read on the forum.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 December, 2021, 05:44:33 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 28 December, 2021, 05:31:23 PM

No, sorry about that, number of reasons - mainly the format you kindly sent it in was PDF and so when I copy and pasted I needed to rejig all the formating . Secondly wanted to faff with little bits to make it easier to read on the forum.

Ok, I can live with that!!

I'll cast my vote within in the next few days.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

AlexF

I'm suffering from that problem where I can't immediately recall what each story was based only on the title, so I might be voting for 'most memorable' rather than 'favourite'...

1) A penitent man (I know it was bigged up as a major new thrill, which usually means it isn't, but this was really very good)
2) The Musical (although I'm mildly annoyed that it's 'greatest hits' bit is still stuck before 1982)
3) Dream of a Thousand Flowers

Barrington Boots

Tough choice this. I only read the Prog, so going for:

1. A Penitent Man
2. The Musical
3. Adios, Rowdy Yates

Naked City and Now That's What I Call Justice just missing out.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Funt Solo

1st: The Musical! - "them loving me may have had something to do with my looking like a big singing dragon, I was later informed".

2nd: A Penitent Man

3rd: A Dream of a Thousand Flowers
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

WhizzBang

1. A Penitent Man
2. How Do You Solve A Problem Like Francisco?
3. Removal Man

paddykafka

1st: The Musical!

2nd: Naked City

3rd:  A Penitent Man