Main Menu

Prog 2337 - Welcome to Azimuth City of the Imagination

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 June, 2023, 05:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 26 June, 2023, 11:12:44 PMit makes it harder to get children to read it (and that can't only matter for four weeks a year).

The prog hasn't been 'suitable' for kids for years (I'd argue certainly since the mid-90s) and (as discussed ad infinitum on sundry Regened threads) weekly serialised periodicals are very much not the preferred format for kids' comics consumption. The aim of the Regened strategy* is not to get kids reading the prog on a regular basis.

*IMO, with no inside info, but having worked on an awful lot of YA/all-age comics over the years.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I mean, yeah; we're probably in ship has sailed long ago territory. Even so, it jars. Probably in part because we have dozens of Rogue Tales where it doesn't happen. (It would actually make more sense if the WW soldiers were swearing in period-suitable fashion and Rogue continued with his future swears.)

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 June, 2023, 08:49:12 AMI mean, yeah; we're probably in ship has sailed long ago territory. Even so, it jars. Probably in part because we have dozens of Rogue Tales where it doesn't happen. (It would actually make more sense if the WW soldiers were swearing in period-suitable fashion and Rogue continued with his future swears.)
It's the same with Dredd. "Drokk" etc may have been born of necessity, but they're such an established part of Dredd lore that it feels a bit off when a real-world swear word creeps into the dialogue (apart from stories set in the movie universe, which is its own thing).
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 June, 2023, 08:31:29 AMThe prog hasn't been 'suitable' for kids for years (I'd argue certainly since the mid-90s)

I think I'd go back way further - The Horned God, with all its willies, nipples and blood, started in 1989.  I think that was round about the time Gunnar made his aforementioned jibe at that Souther deserter, occurring among Cinnabar's public orgies, brothels and eye-wateringly graphic violence. 

In fairness, I was a kid at the time, but I wasn't about to show my parents the kind of thing Tharg was serving up to me every week.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 June, 2023, 08:49:12 AM(It would actually make more sense if the WW soldiers were swearing in period-suitable fashion and Rogue continued with his future swears.)

"Stak! Southers"

"We're not 'Southers', we're the f***ing British Infantry, you f***ing Nort c**t!"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I think Jim should write the next series of Rogue Trooper.

McNulty

I think this might be the first 2000AD cover to feature naked breasts.

Dredd continues to impress. The last page in particular was impactful; sometimes people just don't know when to call it quits.

Void was colourful and strange. Cook can really come up with some good alien designs.

Durham Red: not enjoying this version of the character. Too removed from the original. Some others readers go for it so fine.

Azimuth definitely has potential but does have to strike the correct balance with rapid exposition, world building, action and technojargon. Let's see how the next few weeks work out.

Rogue Trooper: like some I was jarred by Rogue's sudden swearing. I'm just used to him saying, "Synth out!" and other things like this. I'm sure it was a one off and he'll be talking normally again. Utterly blown away by the final panel though.