Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Visible Man vs. Tyranny Rex Round 2 Heat 09

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 January, 2022, 06:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

credo

Tyranny Rex

Deus Ex Machina is a classic and I won't hear anything different. Would love to see a return (folded into Kek-W's Indigo Prime?)

Dark Jimbo

AlexF has nailed it - what we have here is two visually interesting characters in search of a story.

Tyranny Rex tends to display all the worst of John Smith's excesses - technobabble and obtuseness aplenty. I like most of her stories, but I don't love any of them, and some are unnecessarily hard work for not much reward.

I'm going to surprise myself a bit by voting for The Visible Man. It's a trifle corny and juvenile, yes, but at least it's a straightforward tale, and that's not always a bad thing. It struggled a bit with forward direction, but it did feel like the Flint/Hitchcock episodes were going somewhere interesting.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

I read the entire Tyranny Rex run quite recently in the Hachette collection. Stylistically, it's all over the place, but its highs are really strong. So that wins it for me over a one-note character that never gelled with me.

sheridan

I'm going to abstain as both had good and bad points, but congratulations for getting the body horror double bill from different eras competing against each other!

Colin YNWA

Some good cut and thrust here and there's seems to be a clear frontrunner from a quick scan, but plenty of support for each thrill so final day votes could move the way this one goes when I finally count up tomorrow morning and announce the result.

sintec

Read both of these for the first time fairly recently. Far preferred Tyranny Rex

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Really mxied bag this one. There was a number of folks who abstained, a number of votes for each of the thrills. A really great example of two very different thrills evoking very varied reactions. Both thrills have their merits, they are truly original and exciting in what they do. Only one has a thrill as fantastic as De ex Machina and I suspect on that basis

Tyranny Rex

stays out the nunnery and takes her tail into Round 3