Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Cradlegrave vs. Scarlet Traces Round 2 Heat 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 January, 2022, 06:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well if Week 1 was a gentle phasing in of quality from Round 1 with some pretty ropey ties, Week 2 hits us right between the eyes with the other end of things. This is the week that if I'd been feeling a little fast and loose with the draw I could have opened with. There's some mouth watering ties and some decisions that will make your eyes water. THIS is what Round 2 is all about...

You hear that, you hear it... that's the Match of the Day theme blasting away as Gary Linekar introduces live coverage of this top draw tie. It will be cruel to lose a thrill as strong as one of these so early, but that's the thrill of the cup :

Cradlegrave - more info

Vs

Scarlet Traces - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 28th January  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

Ooh... I'm a big fan of Scarlet Traces but having just re-read Cradlegrave in the Hachette collection, the atmosphere and creeping dread make for one of the best horror stories Tooth has ever done. Sorry Ian and Matt, for me it has to be Cradlegrave.

Magnetica

AlexF

Tough draw! I go hot and cold on Scarlet Traces, but I really liked the recent ending (that isn't actually an ending, damn you Edginton and your ability to keep the plates spinning).
Cradlegrave is something truly special, though. It's totally unlike anything else 2000AD has done, and totally scary and horrible and I love it.

Cradlegrave.

Blue Cactus

Quite a match up this, two strips that demonstrate the scope of 2000ad. A gradually expanding sci Fi epic and a tense, horrifying stand-alone story. Flawless art on both too. Scarlet Traces, for some reason, loses me sometimes and I think a collected reread would suit it. Cradlegrave grabbed me on a weekly basis and also works read in one sitting. The sheer oppressive atmosphere of the thing is incredible.

So cudos to SC but for me it's Cradlegrave.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Oh, bloody hell. I read Cradlegrave the other night. It holds up really well (unlike the comparatively throwaway and cliched ALLB). But Scarlet Traces takes one of my favourite books of all time and expands it into a decades-long epic. Both of these deserve a place in the next round, but for me it's Scarlet Traces by a whisker. Quality and quantity over quality and brevity, basically.

rogue69

norton canes

I've only read the last two or three books of Scarlet Traces so it's always been the case that I've never really got my head around the characters. It also seems to be a strip that can be absolutely stunning one week then a bit so-so the next.

Cradlegrave is small but perfectly formed. Cradlegrave

Link Prime

I quite enjoy Scarlet Traces (the recent run was ace), but Cradlegrave is on another level.
One of Tooth's best horror series.

JayzusB.Christ

Cradlegrave storms it for me, given that I think it's one of 2000ad's best stories ever.  A whole new genre - chav horror (I'm preparing to stand corrected by an avalanche of prior examples, and sorry to use the word 'chav' but it's how Skully describes himself and the other main characters).

You'll hear some mumbly weirdo who uses my name singing its praises on Eamonn's podcast.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rogue Judge

Scarlet Traces is good sci-fi with great art. Cradlegrave is too dark for my tastes.