Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Grey Suit vs. Button Man Round 2 Heat 15

Started by Colin YNWA, 27 January, 2022, 06:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

sintec

Two tales of hard men with guns fighting against "the man".  Grey Suit has an overabundance of polemic and it's hard man lead has so little character I can't even remember his name (despite having read this fairly recently in the UC) . Button Man has the benefit of a coherent storyline and how could anyone forget Harry Ex. It's an easy win for Button Man.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Southstreeter

Button Man. Harry Ex doesn't talk in slogans, he just gets on with it.

Funt Solo

It's a fine balancing act with Mills: Nemesis gets to be a bit evil because Torquemada is so much more evil. Slaine gets to slap Ukko around, and shag around, because the sea demons, or the Drunes are so much more wicked. By the time you get to Finn, you can see it fraying at the edges - the punishment for "hurting the planet" is to be drowned in toxic sludge. Greysuit was where the creative wellhead exploded - the protagonist is a serial killer. We're supposed to be cheering as he leaves heads in fridges, and it gets worse the longer it goes on. You can see it in the book titles: Prince of Darkness ... Foul Play.

Button Man lets you have your cake and eat it. Should be a movie franchise.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Bold of Colin to state even that he likes Greysuit up front! The art's good (but not as good as Button Man, even Book IV), and the updated version of 'compu-puncture hyper-power' to 'hypno-acupuncture' is intriguing (but somehow less elegant than a sinister voice on the end of a phone). Punching people's jaws off is neat, too (but not as tangible as cutting off a finger). Greysuit's actual plots, though, and the dialogue - they're both very bad. As opposed to Button Man, which has beautifully terse dialogue and some of the best contructed plots it's a wonder they're taking so long over the dman movie. It can't be that the script needs work, can it? It's already written!

Button Man

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 27 January, 2022, 02:29:06 PM
Bold of Colin to state even that he likes Greysuit up front!

Just to be clear I do really like Greysuit - even if the last book does go really wonky. But there isn't a world in the multiverse were I'd vote for it over Buttonman.

Blue Cactus

Button Man.  Reread this last year, still great, and I include The Hitman's Daughter in that too. The art on the final series was of course very different but Irving was a great fit for the series and a much better choice having someone so stylistically different take over rather than someone similar but inevitably lesser than the mighty Ranson.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 27 January, 2022, 03:43:09 PM
Button Man.  Reread this last year, still great, and I include The Hitman's Daughter in that too. The art on the final series was of course very different but Irving was a great fit for the series and a much better choice having someone so stylistically different take over rather than someone similar but inevitably lesser than the mighty Ranson.

Glad to hear Hitman' Daughter was solid too. I'll move it up my reading priority list.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

broodblik

Quote from: rogue69 on 28 January, 2022, 07:36:42 AM
Greysuit

How could you? We were going for the perfect Wagnerism the balance will now be lost forever
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 January, 2022, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: rogue69 on 28 January, 2022, 07:36:42 AM
Greysuit
There's always one...

Which is one of the thigns that makes it so much fun. I love the fact that however clear cut a decision might seem there are always folks in the 2000ad community that will see things differently and have a different perspective.

Colin YNWA

That Wagner chap who got thumped with his Ball Brothers strip seems to be doing a little better here? One last day to help redemn him!... err yeah cos he needs that! I'm wax lyrical tomorrow morning barring a miracle of silly proportions.