Started by broodblik, 18 April, 2022, 06:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

What is your favorite alternative take on the Dredd-verse:
-   The Fall of Deadworld
-   Megatropolis
-   Dredd Movie (from the meg)
-   Angelic
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Oh man you are stretching my noggin this morning. I have it down to Fall and Megatropolis. I guess I go

Megatropolis

as we know were Fall is heading while Megatropolis is more open.

rogue69

Magnetica

Megatropolis. By several country miles.

Aaron A Aardvark

Megatropolis is an instant classic. I do enjoy all the others though.

AlexF

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Funt Solo

Quote from: broodblik on 18 April, 2022, 06:01:57 AM
What is your favorite alternative take on the Dredd-verse:
-   The Fall of Deadworld
-   Megatropolis
-   Dredd Movie (from the meg)
-   Angelic

That's not an easy question to answer. Movie adaptations are always going to be a difficult beast to wrangle - compromises have already been made (find me an example otherwise) in converting something from the comic format to the movie format. Now it's supposed to be shifted back into the comic format. That's compromise squared, mofos!

Given that as a caveat, I thought Dredd [2012 movie meg spin-off version] and Anderson [ditto] did the best job they could - and it was ultimately braver and worthier than the relatively unsupported Lawman of the Future. Mind you - that might just be Stallone-itis coloring my opinion.

So, long story short - the Dredd adaptation is the weakest of the four you listed - but it's still good, and there's no blame attached.

Figuring out an order for the other three is tricksy, my precious - they're all so effing good, but doing their own thing. Megatropolis was the biggest apple carter for me - I thought it was going to be pish but it's astoundingly good. Angelic turns everything up to eleven on the anti-hero dial, and makes the idea of reboots seem like a positive when it's usually a negative. The Fall of Deadworld opens up a can of undead worms on what had become a stale corner of the Dredd mythos.

I love all three of those, but I can't rank them for your today.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Okay, I'll use science fact...

Lowest score wins:

Followability - wait, who's that again?
1   Megatropolis
2   Dredd Movie (from the meg)
3   Angelic
4   The Fall of Deadworld

Consistavision - creative team be exclusive.
1e   The Fall of Deadworld
1e   Megatropolis
1e   Angelic
2   Dredd Movie (from the meg)

Artwerk - this art be always not "wait, waz happen now?"
1   Megatropolis
2   The Fall of Deadworld
3   Dredd Movie (from the meg)
4   Angelic

Embroilotion - engagement beats comparison.
1   Megatropolis
2   Angelic
3   The Fall of Deadworld
4   Dredd Movie (from the meg)

FINAL SCORES
4 - 1st place   Megatropolis   
10 - 2nd place [tie]   Angelic
10 - 2nd place [tie]   The Fall of Deadworld
11 - 4th place   Dredd Movie (from the meg)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Now that's a rankign system we should all buy into Funt Solo.

Barrington Boots

Not a popular opinion round here, but I didn't enjoy Megatropolis much. The lovely noir setting is very different, but a lot of character names being thrown about as Easter eggs to fans that quite frankly detracts from things. As a non-Meg reader I bought the collected edition based off the parise here and was hugely disappointed.

I really like Deadworld, but it's starting to fall into the same trap as above. Much happier reading this when it's running it's own plot and not giving us pastiches and elseworlds version of 'regular universe' characters. The one that's most impressed me has been Angelic - it's a proper reinvention, a different take on existing characters that's got a lot of thought behind it. However using Funts science ranking below, Deadworld pips it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

You have the whole weekend to find your alter ego
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

It's Deadworld for me. I didn't even realise that Angelic was an alternate universe job till Mean appeared with a new origin story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

So we ended with a stalemate and my last gasp pass in injury time to score under the poles swing it in the favor of.....

Voting closed the winner:

Megatropolis