Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Maelstrom vs. Taxidermist Round 2 Heat 112

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 April, 2022, 06:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Return of the Taxidermist is a classic - Olympic Staring, and that bit where an axe-wielding maniac sets about the synchronized swimmers and gets awarded top points from the judging panel. Taking the supporting act of Jacob Sardini out of Dredd and into a 72-pager was masterfully done.

Maelstrom was just too much a space-LARP. The best we can say about it is that it's a sort of proto-Insurrection. It *looks* good, but it turned the melodrama up to eleventy-stupid, and the hybrid pterodactyl-Judges didn't really work, visually or conceptually.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Has to be Return of the Taxidermist.
Witty Wagner script + Lush Gibson art = Olympic gold.

Magnetica

Quick question.

Has the tourney ever thrown together two strips that were in the same Hachette book?

I ask as The Taxidermist was close-ish to Darren Dead, who appeared in Heat 98.

They weee both in Judge Dredd Mega Collection volume 72.

Colin YNWA

I'm really not sure. I've only cherry picked the Hachette stuff so don't really have a clear view of that. Sure there's smarter folks than me might be about to tell folks. Certainly happy to provide a list of all the ties to date.

Dash Decent

John, Paul, George and Ringo agree. It's the Tax(idermist), man.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

With a day to go there won't be any surprises here either. Final day votes will of course be embraced and I'll count up in the morning.

JayzusB.Christ

Taxidermist for me. Sardini's version of animated stuffing was inspired.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Voting Closed

Strong performance here for Sardini and Co here. Good vote count, epsecially for a Thursday vote. Maelstrom wasn't without its fans, but was stuff from start to finish as

The Taxidermist

Beatles* his way into Round 3

*Look it makes perfect sense if you read Dash Decent's comment below