Main Menu

Forum Favourite Thrill - What if Series nominations

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 September, 2022, 06:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

There's been 331 ties in this tourney - well by my shonky maths AND when we get through finals week it'll be 333. What a set of stunning battles it's been. The thing is there are countless draws that we will never see. Match-ups there could have been. Thrills went out too early; thrills smuggled themselves through to later round. There was a world of infinite possibility we've not seen... well no there isn't, there's some maths I can't be arsed to do to get to the VERY big number of possibilities we'll never see...

At least 'til now...

I've had so much fun with this tourney I'm not quite ready to let go (and could maybbbbbeeee do with a week or two more to get the next thing ready. Hell I'm out of shape when it comes to getting these tourney's organised!). So I'm proposing we look back and dip into the multiverse and pull out ties that we'd have loved to have seen that never came up.

Maybe there's a derby match you'd love to see, Invasion vs Savage, Aquila vs Blackhawk; heck we could add more proof to the now proven idea that Ant Wars is the best GFD thrill by matching it up with Rogue Trooper.

Should the thrills that fell too soon get the chance to meet opponents from later rounds. If Anderson hadn't fallen to Zenith could she have been a match for Halo Jones. Heck could Zenith have taken on any of the Quarter Finalists if it hadn't met Nemesis in Round 6? Devlin Waugh and Zombo are the two thrills that fell criminally early, which thrills that got to Round 5, 6 or even later do you think they could have beaten.

Who knows maybe there was just a tie that you think would have been fascinating. I'd love to have seen Thistlebone vs Cradlegrave and so many more.

So here's your chance. Just use this thread to nominate as many ties that did not happen as you'd like to see, or back up someone elses vote. I'll pick the 16 most popular or interesting sounding ties (I'll try to make the thrills in each unique but we'll see) and dive into the multiverse and we'll have two weeks of What if ties just for the heck of it.

Pop nominations anything over the next week and I'll do the rest...

If you need a reminder of what's already happened here's the spreadsheet I've tracked all this on,  so you can see what we have seen and therefore what we didn't. Enjoy

abelardsnazz

Can I just say a huge THANK YOU Colin for running this thing, it's been tremendous fun. And also to Alex for the visual commentary - how long did it take to find the most appropriate pictures!?

Anyway to the question - I think it would have been interesting to have had related Thrills going head to head, so Tyranny Rex vs. Indigo Prime, Red Seas vs. Stickleback. So that's what I suggest as a starter for 10.

Trooper McFad

Seconded- fantastic comp well done Colin.

A match up I would have found difficult to decide on would have been Rouge (original) V Jaegir
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Dash Decent

Go alphabetical, and see which is the most popular "A" thrill, "B' thrill, etc.

Will Ace Garp overcome Armourgeddon, or will Ant Wars take it?  Will Zombo beat Zenith?  Firekind vs Fiends, Dand Dare vs Droid Life, Space Girls vs Strontium Dawg.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

Stalag 666 v Dead Men Walking
The VCs v Fiends
Halo Jones v The Out

Magnetica

Colin YNWA

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 September, 2022, 06:29:42 AM
There's been 331 ties in this tourney - well by my shonky maths AND when we get through finals week it'll be 333. What a set of stunning battles it's been. The thing is there are countless draws that we will never see. Match-ups there could have been. Thrills went out too early; thrills smuggled themselves through to later round. There was a world of infinite possibility we've not seen... well no there isn't, there's some maths I can't be arsed to do to get to the VERY big number of possibilities we'll never see...

I'm not a mathemetician so had to use an online calculator (which I didn't really understand) - that suggested there were
9.4173726847e+839 combinations.  Or I might have completely misused the calculator.

AlexF

9.4173726847e+839 is exactly the same as the number of times a 2000 hero has been betrayed by a sexy lady.

Lots of fun match-up suggestions! From one end of the spectrum, am personally excited to see Death Planet vs Colony Earth and Stalag 666 vs Dead Men Walking...

From the other hand am curious to see some of those 'within creator' contests: Rennie; Edginton; Smith etc...

Some suggestions for vaguely matching thrills to pit against each other:
Shako vs HookJaw
Armoured Gideon vs Mechastopheles
Revere vs Hewligan's haircut
Dead Meat vs Dynosty

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 07 September, 2022, 11:47:46 AM
9.4173726847e+839 is exactly the same as the number of times a 2000 hero has been betrayed by a sexy lady.

And that 2000AD hero is Rogue Trooper.

Colin YNWA

Keep these coming. There's some brilliant stuff so far and I'm already considering whether two weeks will be enough!

broodblik

Also the semis you can swap the candidates around, depending on who wins:
Lawless vs Dante
Nemesis vs SD
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 08 September, 2022, 06:34:27 AM
Also the semis you can swap the candidates around, depending on who wins:
Lawless vs Dante
Nemesis vs SD

Yeah was thinking would be interesting and love Lawless vs Dante anyway as That.ynwa.bloke's favourites play-off.

Dash Decent

How about matching off thrills that have the same number of letters in the title?
E.g. Ace Garp vs Dan Dare

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.