Main Menu

Pattern Recognition

Started by Proudhuff, 08 May, 2003, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Anyone else reading Willain Gibson's latest?
Anything ring familiar?

Huffsta

(Remember your spoiler alerts)
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Okay so it should have be William Gibson, surely someboarder else reads him ?

Huffsta
DDT did a job on me

karne

I was just about to reply then when I realised that you'd made a mistake and were not actually talking about my favourite author the not so well known Willain Gibson.

Generally Contrary

Karne, I've only read Willain's New Romancer, a story of early eighties fashionable love.  It was very much of-the-time.  Is his new stuff any good?

karne

I can't really comment GC as I haven't read any of the new stuff by either author ;)

gavinhanly

Read it a few months ago.  First Gibson book I've ever read, and actually probably a gentler introduction to him than some of his cyberpunk work (seeing as it's ostensibly pretty much technology/sci-fi free).  Very very good indeed, and would easily recommend it to anyone.

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk" target="_blank">2000AD Review

Richmond Clements

I find that a good way to save money on Gibson books, is to buy one, then, when he releases another, re-read the one you already have, because it is probably the same bloody story. Again.

Is that what you are alluding to, Huffster?

Devons Daddy

i thought we had finally found the elusive womens own knit a cuddly gronk pattern. which should be on this site.

im very dissapointed now.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Proudhuff

No wonder I go in the huff...

Your right of course, it was the less well known member of 'Spandau Ballop' Wiiiain Gibson ( known as Willian the Villian) who first knitted the world famous Gronk, Unfortunately the publisher's of Kipple weekly and Woman's Own stole this idea and a lenghty lawsuit ensued, hence the double bagged status of the WO Gronk pattern.
His lordship Rac could be right as well, but how many authors are guilty as charged? (nobody mention Ellis please)

Meanwhile back at the Ranch (as Kinky Freidman's new book is called but that's another thread)the other Gibson's new book has a lot of boarders involved in pursuit of obscure web footage... nothing like comic fans then, oh and there is a lot of Camden Lock in it as well

Me? I love it and my Gronk...

Very Huffy

DDT did a job on me

Art

...in fact there's a map of Norf London UV embossed onto the cover.

The thing is, this book is supposed the about a coolhunter who tracks down hot new trends. Now, I'm not sure how Camden will be portrayed but its definitely expired as a cool and trendy location - the highstreet now has the same starbucks and GAP hegemony, the Market is getting boring (there's very little there you can't get in any other market now) and the nightlife's crap. The only thing it has left is its name and the wannabes and tourists that attracts, though they are increasingly outnumbered by the parasites that feed on them: Getting through the crowds of beggars, junkies and drunks to the tubestation is like something out of the Thriller video most weeks. In short: Camden stinks.

Proudhuff

AW, She doesn't coolhunt in Camden, the thought!!

I didn't know about the cover but it fits in with the story

One part of the book is the global homogeneisation(sp) of culture, and how the details are slighty different here,he calls it: Mirrorworld.
The unfortunates you refer too get a mention as well.
The main character, Cayce, refers to the types who traipse along to the market as the Children's Crusade, which is spot on when you see them (and hey, its a tooth link!)

Personally, i got a great belt,the breeks kind, out of the Market in the very early eighties when the Huffs partner worked danthesmoke, and I still have it.

Chuffedhuff
DDT did a job on me