Main Menu

Prog 1913 Knight Terrors

Started by Mattofthespurs, 10 January, 2015, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Nutmeg

Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 17 January, 2015, 12:01:49 PM
Quote from: Zenith 666 on 17 January, 2015, 11:00:45 AM
It could just be Death is hiding Kurtzs body after disturbing him in the morgue.

I thought that too, but why would he have stripped him?

To quote Father Todd Unctuous, "ah, I don't know - it was just going that way ..."

damn it beat me to it!   :lol:

Judge Nutmeg

great cover robot reminded me of dr doom when i saw it on shelf

Judge Dredd: nice opening panel of the gnarled corpse of Strepsil. No suprise there with PJ and the dark judges in her house she was'nt going to be around for long. Anderson in panel two looks like Patsy Kensit to me. The story builds up a sombre momentum . Some one mentioned Anderson not wisecracking I think this is deliberate for building up the mood and maybe Wagner is stopping himself going into comedy dark judges mode (die laughing was pretty bad). Was puzzled why Anderson did'nt pick up Roberto Smith was Maybe. Was'nt Roberto Smith in the cure ? remember the Dredd song?

Ulysees Sweet: still enjoying this . Sweet's musing about intolerance made me laugh considering how much of a psycho he is.

Orlok: Was'nt impressed last issue .but boy this prog's double page spread has made me rethink my dismissal of the strip .

The order: a nice bit of humour has warmed me up to this series.

Savage: Still enjoying this. Quartz 's manipulation of Savage was good. And a refernce to rojaws made me laugh.

All in all a good issue

A.Cow

Quote from: M.I.K. on 17 January, 2015, 07:55:50 PM
It could be that one of the bodies isn't a body but just Death's uniform laid out in preparation.

To be fair there have been a few inconsistencies in the art (like heads flipping to the opposite end of the coffin) so people are probably reading too much into it. Who cares, though, with art that gorgeous?

ZenArcade

Is that it is so meticulously painted that the duration between frames may have taken days or indeed weeks of work. Is it possible that in engaging in this level of detail continuity slipped in some instances? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

maryanddavid

Good Prog, three thrill's lifting it above average.
Dredd really atmospheric stuff, art is fantastic.
The Order, love it, the art is brilliant and the pace of the story has my interest. As has been said its a real throwback to older Brit comics in a very good way.
Savage, great subdued end to the Volgan invasion, lovely art. The crossovers are great, wonder how this will merge into Robusters?
Sweet, I have said before this is not my cuppa, I would prefer to see these creators on new characters.
Orlok, same reason as Sweet, art really stepped up though, lovely stuff. 

Prodigal2

Quote from: maryanddavid on 18 January, 2015, 11:01:16 PM
Good Prog, three thrill's lifting it above average.
Dredd really atmospheric stuff, art is fantastic.
The Order, love it, the art is brilliant and the pace of the story has my interest. As has been said its a real throwback to older Brit comics in a very good way.
Savage, great subdued end to the Volgan invasion, lovely art. The crossovers are great, wonder how this will merge into Robusters?
Sweet, I have said before this is not my cuppa, I would prefer to see these creators on new characters.
Orlok, same reason as Sweet, art really stepped up though, lovely stuff.

That throwback quality to The Order is definitely another huge lure for me. Lurve it.

Hawkmumbler

Cover - Like a lovely old oil painting. Static as anything but otherwise wonderously executed. Love Ritersthal's design as well.

Dredd - Liking where this is going but surely the ahit is really going to hit the fan next instalment. Gotta wonder if Dredd and co. are going to consider it worth the hastle of going after the DJ's or just leave them to top off the rich folk and spiral in space for decades.

Sweet - Hasn't always been my favourite strip. But this weeks i stalment actualy nabs thrill of the week for me and is one of the best things i've read in ages, simply because it doesn't give the horrible, bigoted old cow the benefit of the doub't and kills her. Fantastic.

Orlok - Nice cameo's from Kazan and that doctor guy from the first Sov Invasion story. And is that Aimee Nixon as well? But besides that not much actually happens this week so, pass on.

The Order - As mentioned, Ritersthal might have the makeings of a classic tooth character in the makeing. Planting his dismembered torso on a pole and screeching evil at his pursuers is fantastic. He also appears somewhat more real than the actual people around him. Quite a lot happened this week and i'm reLly excited to see where this is going.

Savage  - Has nice art but the story is Pat on auto-pilot once again. Ah well.

Spikes

I see this has popped up over on CAF

The original opening page to Part 3 of Dark Justice that Greg worked on, and 80% finished before abandoning it and started again

ZenArcade

Jeeesus. That is something else. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ghost MacRoth

And that wasn't good enough?  I'd be delighted if I could produce half that quality!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

I, Cosh

Well, after being all snottty about it last week, I have to admit that this week's episode of Orlok was a lot better than I expected. Some interesting layouts and storytelling throughout. Still groaned at the line about the scar though.

Elsewhere, I was quite surprised to find that Savage was my standout pick of the week. Then I spoiled it to myself by wondering if Prog 2015 was the first to ever to feature two different Richard Branson caricatures and which one people liked best.

Regarding the bodies thing in Dredd. Is it perhaps the case the Davey, up to now, has been controlled by Death but needs to be die in order to become the host?

What was the reason for redoing that page? Other than the lighting being a bit brighter, it's almost identical to the published version as far as I can tell. I'm not Greg Staples though.
We never really die.

Spikes

It would seem he simply wasn't happy with this attempt, and decided to start again, but here's the link -- http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1194447&GSub=156163

Magnetica

My take on why there appear to be five bodies is that the one nearest to the reader isn't a body, it is simply a uniform that Cutler has laid out. It appears to be Fear's, so presumably the body his carrying in ends up as Fear.

Cutler then, under the influence of Death then shoots himself, so that Death's spirit can then re-animate his corpse. It has been well established in earlier stories that that is how the Dark Judges work.

I assume that the thing about the heads changing ends is simply a mistake.

Pop Culture Bandit

Here's our take on the Prog -

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/01/2000ad-prog-1913.html

Really enjoying all the strips at the moment, especially The Order, which has quickly become a firm favourite in just three weeks!