Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Tiplodocus

<B>TIGGER WARNING</B>

A short-story (and poem) collection by Neil Gaiman.  I've never read any of his prose before and I'm right enjoying it - as good a showcase of his a diversity and creativity as I can imagine. 

The stand-outs so far are a great little Doctor Who tale and "The Truth Is a Cave in the Black Mountains..."; a tale of vengeance set on Skye around the time of Bonnie Price Charlie - but given a supernatural edge (In fact this is one of the best things I've read in decades)

A couple of the tales (so far) have been a bit "Well what did that mean?" (especially "The thing about Cassandra" which sort of threw me at the end) but overall it gets a big thumbs up. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Heh - That should be TRIGGER WARNING but I'll leave it as is because that also sounds like a book I'd like to read.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

I love short story collections due to a hectic life and short attention span so have just ordered this.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Theblazeuk

Best Matt Smith Doctor Who story never made.

The Thin White Duke was sadly timely (or at least the timing of my reading).

Spikes

A re-read of this marvellous tome. Prompted by a discussion about it over on the Hammer FB page. And how much its going for online now...   :o

The good news for those that like this sort of thing, is that it's getting updated and re-issued.

Greg M.

It's a superb book, even if the author is wildly wrong about The Amazing Mr. Blunden.

Hawkmumbler

Well after my Alien marathon I'm still hankering for some Xenomorph goodies. Can anyone recommend any good novels in the series? I've read most of the comic omnibi already!

Hawkmumbler

Zot! by Scott McCloud the chap who gave us those rather brilliant "...Comics" books.
Zot! is rather brilliant. Metatextual, a unique artistic talent, and cross genre mishmashing all make for something quite entertaining.

I'm told this isn't the complete series though? Where those first 10 issues ever collected elsewhere or will I have to hunt them down?

Colin YNWA

Oh I bloody love Zot! I've almost certainly said it before here. 9Jack9 after Tomas T is probably my favourite ever comic book villian. The first 10 issues (was it just ten in colour?) might not be a lauded as the others but really they are right up there. I suspect if nicely repackaged as the black and white issues they'd be hailed too. Okay so there's bits of a man learning his craft but its still bloody astonishing stuff.

There were trade collections but I picked up the originals easy enough. Oh and don't forget Zot! online. A fascinating early experiment in telling a comic story online.

http://www.scottmccloud.com/1-webcomics/zot/

Zot! in my 10 ten comic series of all time - easy.

Hawkmumbler

Well the volume I got was "The Complete Black and White" so the first 10 (full colour issues) are ommited. Apparently Kitchen Sink releeased a TPB of those a while back so i'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay.

Zot! also made an appearence in Normalman. Which is kind of what got me to buy it so soon, because he was brilliantly straight faced throughout his story, especially when teamed up against Captain Everything, Megaton Man and Flamming Carrot.  :lol:

Colin YNWA

Normal Man is a strip I'm aware off (mainly due to his cross-overs) but have no idea if its any good. Certainly always seemed very respected.

Old Tankie

Just read Clean Room 4 by Gail Simone and Jon Davis-Hunt really enjoyed it.

Grugz

just started on the star wars infinities epic collection ,a "what if?" collection of tales and the strip based on the original draft of the saga.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Adventurer

Quote from: von Boom on 13 January, 2016, 04:31:47 PM
That would be my plan. I read Ender's Game and loved it so immediately went to Speaker. Big mistake. I've never read any other Ender book since then.

No great lose. Keep in mind Card is a libertarian christian fundamentalist homophone, and it influences his writing more and more as time goes on. Reaching mass peek in his Ender's Shadow sub-series. Its pretty plain to see even in Ender's Game, which lets keep in mind is a story about military indoctrination that uses violence to prod kids toward an intended outcome.

That all said, I'm probably only person on earth who liked Speaker for the Dead when he read it.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK