Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Anyone know if there are more Battlefields in the offing? needing a fix of WWII action...
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

House of Usher

I haven't been enjoying The Boys lately, in particular Hughie's storyline with Starlight of The Seven. As I mentioned in the chat room the other night, Garth Ennis seems to be working at turning Hughie into a really unlikeable character, and himself giving the impression of having somewhat conservative and puritanical attitudes regarding sex and relationships. It would appear the main reason the 'supes' are in need of a good kicking is because they're getting too much action in the sack.
STRIKE !!!

zombemybabynow

having just read the new boys - i thought it could be leading to hughie putting on a costume and making a stand.

[spoiler]butcher bs-ing mm & the other 2 about to go awol, is making butcher look like the bad guy in my view although of course not as nuts as the homelander[/spoiler]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

PreacherCain

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 November, 2010, 03:54:44 PM
I haven't been enjoying The Boys lately, in particular Hughie's storyline with Starlight of The Seven. As I mentioned in the chat room the other night, Garth Ennis seems to be working at turning Hughie into a really unlikeable character, and himself giving the impression of having somewhat conservative and puritanical attitudes regarding sex and relationships.

I see it as the opposite. Ennis portrays Starlight in a much more sympathetic light, as a young woman who is exploited and abused by those in power and then 'punished' by the shame of those actions, with Hughie resorting to a very simplistic, chauvinistic response to what happened. If anything, Ennis is highlighting just how unfair it is that she continues to be punished, including by those she loves, even though she was the victim.

Colin Zeal

Just finished reading volume 7 of the Boys. Whatever the reason, Hughie is becoming a complete dickhead and is no longer the nice character I've liked from the first episodes. Ah well, I've still got Bill being a cock to laugh at.

zombemybabynow

QuoteHughie is becoming a complete dickhead and is no longer the nice character I've liked from the first episodes

Only 'cos he's been played by Butcher re. telling him falsehoods about hughie's ex.

Ultimately something's gonna kick-off between hughie and butcher?

But, that's a cool and real thing about this story: like life nothing is black and white

(follow up with zebra, crossword etc. joke post here!)
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin YNWA

House of Usher

I had a little look at some back issues the other day, and some light is shed on the whole Hughie/sex thing in the scene where he and Starlight are watching pr0n together. He's an uptight prude, a dickhead and a hypocrite in that one, so it has been foreshadowed somewhat, and it was my poor memory that let me to imagine Garth Ennis was speaking through Hughie. How much more wrong could I have been?!
STRIKE !!!

strontium_dog_90

Speaking of "The Boys" (which is awesome) is anyone on here also a member of the Dynamite Forum? I applied to join it ages ago and have yet to here anything back, a little worried my application might have been wrongly classed as spam, and not sure how to go about chasing it up. Anyone know what I should do?

Colin YNWA

I was a member a while back and it wasn't very active, at least I failed miserably to find out what was happening with Matt Wagner's Zorro.

I, Cosh

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 November, 2010, 05:39:50 PM
I had a little look at some back issues the other day, and some light is shed on the whole Hughie/sex thing in the scene where he and Starlight are watching pr0n together. He's an uptight prude, a dickhead and a hypocrite in that one, so it has been foreshadowed somewhat, and it was my poor memory that let me to imagine Garth Ennis was speaking through Hughie. How much more wrong could I have been?!
Don't know if you've been keeping up with the Highland Laddie mini-series, but all of this sexual jealousy and hypocrisy stuff has been addressed rather well in the last couple of issues.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Am I the only one who finds the gasmask and Trannie pals in Highland laddie a bit, well silly?

I know that Santa has got me the Hardback of Battlefields with the first 3 stories in it, which will be grand as I missed an issue of each at the time, warm smug feeling  :D

(And I believe minihuff has source the first Rogue Trooper casefile too)
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

I almost bought Boys v.7 in Waterstones last night, but the christmas shopping queue was enormous, so I put it back. I'll get it (cheaper) on Amazon.

Goaty

Love the 50th Issue Cover! with little twist from original The Boys 1st Cover...