Main Menu

DC to relaunch with 52 #1's

Started by briantm, 01 June, 2011, 02:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well I once again resurrect this thread. Having looked back my entries almost read like a diary of me falling out of love with DC. Two and half years ago our relationship was 'relaunched' with a lot of fuss and bluster. I was wiped up in a whirlwind in the excitement of it all. Did it cement and intensify our relationship.

Alas no. All it did was paper over the cracks and the 27 months since then have basically seen those crack exposed, widen. Oh I've not helped I've consciously been checking out the goodness elsewhere. Not even attempting to hide my increasing relationship with others.

Sure me and DC still hand out... a little but when Animal Man finishes we'll be down to three regular titles, with nothing so far scheduled to push that up and one of those 3 toying with being canned. Then this happened.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50254

My true love Wally West came back. And the sad thing is rather than fill me with joy, it filled me with dread. What will they do with him. I'm almost tempted not to pick up Annual 3 in which he returns and let the whole thing lie. In reality I suspect I will but with no excitement. I'll give it a chance but sadly I'm going in very negatively which isn't good.

Is it my fault DC, is it yours? Who knows the truth is we've just drifted apart and even your new Wally West job is probably not enough to save us now.

BPP

You still buy three of their titles. That in itself is baffling.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Professor Bear

Not really - DC have the better characters.
Marvel have the better comics, admittedly, but the big kid in you can relate better to archetypes like Batman and Superman, while a lot of residual affection for legacy characters like Wally West and Kyle Raynor endure to the point that even bringing back their predecessors rings false for those readers who grew up with "their" version of Flash, GL, Batgirl or whatever.

I arrived earlier to where Colin seems to be right now, though I do hear the output of the digital arm of things is much better than the print division, and that the company is being restructured to give the digital editors more of a say in things at the print end.  They also said the relaunch would be a new start, all the same, so this big move to the West Coast might just be more of the same - "they've relaunched the comics, now they're relaunching the company!" type of thing.

Theblazeuk

Fix those costumes and then we'll talk.

Till then I'm on the fringes of the new DCU.

BPP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 14 January, 2014, 05:47:10 PM
Not really - DC have the better characters.
Marvel have the better comics,

Marvel have the better talent - Allred, Spurrier, Ewing, Ennis. That's all that makes a comic good. The rest is just re-fried nostalgia and hope. And I'm not a marvel 'fan' either - Spurrier's work is the only thing I'd pay for, Allreds in collected editions. Simply can't see why a 2000ad audience would connect with what these firms produce especially when there are 20 good titles out there from image / dark horse / etc..

Hawkmumbler

I have fond memories of reading old issues of Motormouth and Captain Britain and Deaths Head II out of an old box in my grand-fathers attic (bought by my aunt I believe) way back before I was a comic book reader by nature. So the current Revolutionary War arc with Elson and Coleby and others is one of my few ventures with Marvel in an ongoing manner. The only Marvel GN's on my shelf are the Moore run of Captain Britain, Dragons Claws and the complete (bah! Far from it!) Deaths Head collections. More collections of Marvel UK stuff wouldn't go Amis.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 14 January, 2014, 06:55:21 PM
Simply can't see why a 2000ad audience would connect with what these firms produce especially when there are 20 good titles out there from image / dark horse / etc..

Because we don't all like the same things?

I mean do you know there are actually more than 50 bands in the world and I think some of them are rubbish, but others disagree.

I know, I know astonishing isn't it!

Professor Bear

Crazy talk!

I don't know why sci-fi fans wouldn't get along with Marvel's Avengers comics, as last time I looked at it, it was this ponderous, impenetrable, humourless space opera nonsense.  The kind of thing I would have thought Star Wars fans would lap up, basically.

sheldipez

The way that DC treat their hired hands it's not surprising that all the talent is over at Marvel.

BPP

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 January, 2014, 07:20:10 PM
Quote from: BPP on 14 January, 2014, 06:55:21 PM
Simply can't see why a 2000ad audience would connect with what these firms produce especially when there are 20 good titles out there from image / dark horse / etc..

Because we don't all like the same things?

I mean do you know there are actually more than 50 bands in the world and I think some of them are rubbish, but others disagree.

I know, I know astonishing isn't it!

Aye, your own posts and dismay with DC seem to confirm it is pretty astonishing. Anyway it wasn't a personal remark Colin, your enthusiasm for the medium as a whole is pretty admirable.

Banners

Quote from: Colin_YNWA... but when Animal Man finishes we'll be down to three regular titles.

Gave up on Flash when old continuity crept in (contrary to what I thought the whole premise was), and gave up on Justice League Dark when Milligan left confusingly early (like after just four issues or something stupid).

So, I've not really been following – but is that right? Is the New 52 already down to just three titles...?!?

sheldipez

Quote from: Banners on 15 January, 2014, 08:22:04 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA... but when Animal Man finishes we'll be down to three regular titles.

Gave up on Flash when old continuity crept in (contrary to what I thought the whole premise was), and gave up on Justice League Dark when Milligan left confusingly early (like after just four issues or something stupid).

So, I've not really been following – but is that right? Is the New 52 already down to just three titles...?!?

I think he was meaning he was pulling only three titles, I was going through what drops this week and there's a dozen new 52 titles out today.

Theblazeuk

There's lots and lots in the new 52. Just very little is worth reading anymore and strangely it is particularly annoying for old hands, as just enough continuity is retained to remind you of something that was better.

Link Prime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 January, 2014, 10:27:17 AM
There's lots and lots in the new 52. Just very little is worth reading anymore and strangely it is particularly annoying for old hands, as just enough continuity is retained to remind you of something that was better.

I'll stand by my guns that Snyder & Capullo's lengthy run on Batman is very, very good stuff.
I am getting a bit tired of the 'Zero Year' arc(s) though, so looking forward to the new status quo when its finished.

Taking you point- I don't read anything else from the DCU, and have a below sub-zero desire to do so.

Colin YNWA

Yeah the fact that the rest of his Batman run was pretty damned good is the only thing still keeping me around. I'm not getting much from Year 0. Also having read his Detective / Dick Grayson run the entire run isn't up to that exceptional standard.

Still only, what, another 3679327 issues of Year 0 to go. Christ its got to be ending sound surely?