Main Menu

Prog 2197 - Saints & Sinners

Started by NapalmKev, 29 August, 2020, 08:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JimmyNailz

Really enjoyed the prog AGAIN this week despite a Futureshock and a "Thargs Fillers" double. The Mighty One can currently do no wrong, it seems.

Cover - Well I for one like it and think it really pops.

Judge Dredd: End Of Days went where many suspected it would (though I wasn't expecting that final page) and continues to be a great summer blockbuster. 

The Out -  continues to be utterly brilliant with yet another turn up for the books for poor old Cyd.

Futureshock - whilst the twist wasn't all that great, I really enjoyed the story as a whole. Great world/character building in a mere 4 pages.

Thargs 3hriller - never usually a fan of these, but this one has me very much engaged. Love the art and colours. Fun story so far. Lets see where it takes us.

The Diaboliks - Another new character is introduced and he's a lorra lorra fun. Keith Richards/Jimmy Page eat your heart out.

Thought the Boo Cook Sov Star Scan looked lovely. Judge Dredd: Year 3 novellas to come (though why they release them all seperately at the same price as the anthology version bemuses me... I'll wait, thanks!) and they're releasing America...again!

broodblik

JimmyNailz

Quote from: broodblik on 01 September, 2020, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: JimmyNailz on 01 September, 2020, 10:13:00 AM
and they're releasing America...again!

Here is the article about the new version of America :
https://2000ad.com/news/the-lost-scripts-of-judge-dredd-america-to-be-revealed-for-the-first-time/

I don't think that's the same thing that's advertised in this weeks prog though.
I knew they were releasing the original scripts to America, but what's advertised in the prog looks like it is part of a new "Essential Judge Dredd" line that just sounds like the Hatchett ones again.
I don't have an issue with it if it brings new readers in, but I'm not sure I'd use Amercia as a way to first introduce Dredd to people, despite it being a stone cold classic (though I know many other people - including creators - would disagree with me.)

broodblik

You are talking about: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB687

My understanding is that Rebellion are going to release of few of these essential editions for new readers to bring them the important Dredd stories and to introduce them to the world of Dredd. Many people want to read Dredd but do not know where to start.

Leigh S

Much as I have been down on this Dredd and much as it was a predicted twist, that last page image is pure cast iron design genius from Henry Flint

broodblik

For a "filler" prog this was first rate stuff. The Out continues to entertain. The Dredd story is turning into a good solid epic (love that last page). This round the Thriller gets my vote for best in the prog. As with Future Shocks many of the Thrillers are a hit and miss scenario. Great to see Roach back on art duties.

Magnetica

I seem to recall seeing one of the panels from the first page of the 3riller ages ago. Seems like this has been some time in the making. Either that or it has been sitting there waiting to fill a gap before a jumping on Prog.

broodblik

That one panel was in last weeks regen prog advertising the next prog

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 02 September, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
That one panel was in last weeks regen prog advertising the next prog

Sure, but that's not what I mean. I seem to recall David Roach showing it on some online forum months ago. Can't remember if it was hear or on Facebook, or both.

judgeurko

Well back to normal service after the weird interruption. & Dredd gives us a very obvious predictable 'twist' that doesn't redeem this lazy story, even the brilliant artwork by Flint who is suited to this stuff more than MacNeil can't elevate what feels like a first draft hastily rushed into production.

MumboJimbo

What a (mostly) excellent prog, I savoured it slowly like a single malt whiskey!

The Dredd reveal may have been predictable but I'm still quite stoked for the remaining two instalments. I think the End of Days will really stand or fall by its conclusion. Obviously Giant will be the one to save the day, but how?

Saphir was dripping with David Roach gorgeousness - it's a shame we've been transported to another world as another two episodes of Roachean fin de siecle Paris would have been wonderful to behold.

The Future Shock had me hooked but the ending was a bit meh for me. It felt like the last page could almost have been tacked to any murder mystery plot in the preceding pages, so a lot of the build up felt unrealised.

The Diaboliks was a lot of fun. I take it this Jake Pazuzu fellow was a regular in the Callabalistics? (Haven't read it)

The MVP award goes to The Out though. It's about time we got a bit of backstory on Cyd and this absolutely nailed it. Bravo 👏

MumboJimbo

And for what it's worth I liked the colour palette of the cover, but the montage lacked cohesion for me, and too much blank space.

JayzusB.Christ

Never really imagined Jenny's flamey mouth being anything other than black, but I like the cover and think it works pretty well.  I generally prefer a cover that doesn't just show a scene from the story.  Montage works for me.

Dredd's enjoyable enough, though I'm still finding it hard to get too excited about it.  It just seems kind of inconsequential - obviously Dredd's not going to stay as a [spoiler]skinny spider-monster[/spoiler] when this series is over, and I feel the whole thing is going to be kind of forgotten by in-universe characters the way Inferno was. 

The Future Shock is good fun, though the twist doesn't quite deliver. 

The Out is great - yet another important reveal about Cyd.  I'm still calling Halo Jones on this one - more because it's a well-written, galaxy-spanning adventure than because the protagonist is an unremarkable everywoman.  But I do love that aspect too; it's really nice to see a story that isn't about an Ubermensch hero with massive amounts of firepower.

Haven't read the other two yet.  I'll do so now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"