Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 10 July, 2023, 07:14:31 PMDo any of the ones you've listed continue the Buratino thread? If not, then that's another angle.

Ooh, that's right! 'Buratino Must Die' for another 50-odd pages. All in all, it's a book that will be easily filled. Lots of Henry Flint goodness, whatever you might think of the story.
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

I can make an argument that End of Days is on par with Judgement Day, at the very least. YMMV.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

I'd second that. I think it suffers a bit from being a deliberately old-school storyline but being delivered in both a modern style and a modern context. 2000AD is, kind, of, for readers age 12-80 and that's quite a big range to satisfy - this one feels more aimed at the younger end of that range, and why not?

Barrington Boots

Imagine being not at least on par with Judgement Day.
The bar is set low there. Lovely art on both though.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomwe

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't have guessed 13 + Carver Hale for a book in a million years.

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 July, 2023, 10:06:33 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 July, 2023, 09:43:41 AMNext book is likely to be End of Days.

Yup, followed by 13 + Carver Hale + Future Shocks and Zenith vol2

From the artist credits it looks like that's going to collect everything Mike Carey has written for the prog.

IndigoPrime

Good catch. So that's 13, Carver Hale, Future Shocks 'Inside Job' and 'Right back at ya' (both with John Charles) and Pulp Sci-Fi 'Eggs is Eggs' (Cliff Robinson) and 'Doin' Time' (Ben McCloud).

Tomwe

I'm a big fan of Mike Carey so I'm happy that's been put together!

Dark Jimbo

I can take or leave Carver Hale, which never really got going, but I adore 13 - that makes the book a must-buy!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bad Andy

I know I'm a few months behind most of you on the Thread but just reading the Movide Dredd collection for the first time. How good a story is Underbelly? Really entertaining. 

IndigoPrime

I thought the whole run worked very well, bar the last story. I get that Matt Smith wanted to wrap things up, but I dunno. It felt a bit of a strange way (if very final) to end everything. (Personally, I'd have liked that version of Dredd to continue indefinitely. It would have been really interesting to see it evolve.)

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 July, 2023, 10:35:30 AMI thought the whole run worked very well, bar the last story.

'Final Judgement' was just bafflingly awful, and really detracted from the excellent run of "Dredd" strips that preceded it.

A rueful coincidence that the World's Greatest Living Comic Artist™ worked on both 'Final Judgement' and 'End of Days'.

Quote from: Tomwe on 12 July, 2023, 03:05:06 PMI'm a big fan of Mike Carey so I'm happy that's been put together!

It's a shame that the Carey Droid was decommissioned, very talented writer.

Bad Andy

Just finished that movie Dredd collection now.

Shame they moved away from the more-realistic depictions. Thought Dust felt a bit silly in this world and The Dead World felt a bit forced and out of place.

Glad to have this book in the collection though.