Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I've said my piece and I stand by it, but I should clarify that I hold the individual Leavers on this forum in some esteem as people who have repeatedly shown their quality and good character by their actions. I also respect your demcratic right to choose, while abhoring your choice. However you have been lied to by those who believe themselves your betters, and either you have been so gullible as to believe those lies or you have acted entirely irrationally and contrary to the common good.

Your countries gave us the rule of law, the greatest literature, the computer and the Web, the will to stand up to the Nazis, true functional multiculturalism, vaccination, the theory of evolution, Monty Python, Jenny Agutter and 2000AD. And the dream of peaceful European integration.

Yesterday you betrayed that legacy for no rational reason at all.

Hawkmumbler

I'm utterly fucking fuming. Utterly fucking disappointed, and utterly fucking despairing at the same time. Tharg help us all. 

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 June, 2016, 07:25:26 AM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 24 June, 2016, 07:19:22 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 June, 2016, 06:54:15 AM
I feel sick.

No problem! We're now saving £350 million a week. Free private health care for EVERYONE!

Farage is ALREADY rowing back on that one and Johnson/Gove are urging PM not to trigger article 50: It won't be Brexit as the brexitters want, it'll be a fudge that satisfies nobody (but fucks the economy anyway)
Oh man, I fucking knew it. I'd like to say i'm surprised but im not. What a fucking omnishambles.

Goaty

Dave on way out in October.

Jim_Campbell

Sterling in freefall. The value of all our contributions to the EU ever wiped off the FTSE in minutes. Open talk in Northern Ireland about leaving the Union, and with good cause, since leaving the EU torpedoes the Good Friday Agreement, Salmond talking about a new independence referendum in Scotland within two years.

So, to summarise: that's the end of the UK, the economy in the crapper, and the very real possibility of a permanent Tory government in Westminster. Never mind. All worth it, because we don't like foreigners.

Well done, 'Leave' voters. When can I expect the sunny utopia you promised, please? You were so certain this was the right move, so let's hear what you've got for us.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fungus

Everything Jim just said.
Meanwhile, the young (with a future) and Scotland voted Remain.
Feeling low.

JamesC

On my Facebook feed remain voters are posting links to articles by experts which explain in simple terms why we're all fucked and why the devaluation of the pound is a bad thing.
The leave voters are all posting pictures of union jacks and Winston Churchill.

I think that pretty much sums up how the debate has gone from the beginning.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Fungus on 24 June, 2016, 09:04:36 AM
Everything Jim just said.
Meanwhile, the young (with a future) and Scotland voted Remain.
Feeling low.
I've pretty much already decide I shant be staying. Disgraceful.

Dandontdare

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 24 June, 2016, 09:07:55 AMWinston Churchill.

Churchill - no friend of mine - wouldn't have pissed on the Leave campaign. European integration was virtually his idea, and he was quite happy to staff his airforce with Poles, Czechs, Belgians and all manner of refugees. And a good job too.

maryanddavid

Wow.  I don't do the political thread much but this is a shocker.

Fungus

Quote from: maryanddavid on 24 June, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
Wow.  I don't do the political thread much but this is a shocker.

Me neither. And however historic in Real Life, I don't need to see that unaccountably dangerous goon on the cover of our own Meg this month. 'Political satire' is rarely an enjoyable read.

Banners

As someone who voted "Remain" from an ideological and cultural perspective, the result is quite heart-breaking.

One can only hope that things aren't as bad as they seem, that the more sober, positive and intellectual 'leave' arguments will come to fruition – and that this feeling of divisiveness will pass. Thankfully, much of what is good in the world tends to happen despite politics, not because of it.

TordelBack

Surely Johnny and Wulf should have showed up by now to unmask Boris as Nelson Bunker Kreelman and Farage as Sabbat and save the time stream?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 24 June, 2016, 09:57:47 AM
Surely Johnny and Wulf should have showed up by now to unmask Boris as Nelson Bunker Kreelman and Farage as Sabbat and save the time stream?
My theory is Deadworld was a prophecy Dave Kendall had in his sleep. It's coming.