Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: dweezil2 on 09 June, 2019, 11:38:54 PM
Christ, how bad was Venom?!
If it was aiming for that Deadpool level of irony, it failed abysmally!
It reminded me of a distinctly 90's version of a comic book movie-step forward Spawn!
To take a quote out of the film, what a turd in the wind!
Venom had what it needed for success but I'm with you on this. DC continue to make films as if Kevin Feige and the MCU had never been born. Hardy and Venom made a good double act, but by god, the villain was like something out of a very bad Playstation game. I watched it on a plane so it had the benefit of being *slightly* less numbing than just two hours just staring at the headrest of the seat in front of me -- but not by much.

Keef Monkey

Enjoyed Dark Phoenix a fair bit, it's not up there with my favourite X-Men movies (DoFP, First Class) but I didn't think it was a low point in the series for me (I liked it more than Apocalypse and it's nowhere near as bad as something like the Wolverine Origins movie or Last Stand). After really not liking King of The Monsters at all, this was a much better trip to the cinema (aside from the girl talking all the way through it to her disinterested dad who browsed Facebook for the entire movie...why can't people just stop being dicks in the cinema?!)

Not a classic, but the kicking it's getting seems quite disproportionate.

Hawkmumbler

Just got out of Dark Phoenix. Thought it was dire to be frank, haven't cared about the X-Pats movies in years (Logan was quiet the surprise) and it's evident why. They've long lost their mojo.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: wedgeski on 10 June, 2019, 09:30:17 AM
Venom had what it needed for success but I'm with you on this. DC continue to make films as if Kevin Feige and the MCU had never been born.

Venom's a Marvel character, just part of Sony Pictures generally terrible series of films (past Raimi #2) rather than the MCU. Thank god they let Marvel just make the new Spiderman movies...

wedgeski

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 10 June, 2019, 02:19:42 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 10 June, 2019, 09:30:17 AM
Venom had what it needed for success but I'm with you on this. DC continue to make films as if Kevin Feige and the MCU had never been born.

Venom's a Marvel character, just part of Sony Pictures generally terrible series of films (past Raimi #2) rather than the MCU. Thank god they let Marvel just make the new Spiderman movies...
Ah, yup, I now mistakenly associate the spiderverse with Marvel Studios. Search/replace DC for Sony.

Bad City Blue

I Am Mother on Netflix

Excellent, smartly plotted film. A slow burner that keeps it's cards to it's chest.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

JamesC

Yeah, I enjoyed I Am Mother. I really like the robot design.

broodblik

I am Monter was a good sci-fi tale. The beauty for me was that we only saw two and a half humans in the whole story.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Stargate Origins is terrible in every way, but apart from that it's quite good.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Tarzan's Desert Mystery (1943)

Johnny Weissmuller stars as Tarzan, no Jane is present but she writes to him asking him to go get some "fever medicine" that is located in a mysterious jungle across a desert and at the end of the film.

When he gets to the end of the film,  and reaches the jungle, Tarzan finds giant lizards, lions, carnivorous plants and eventually a giant spider. And it that huge arachnid that concerns me.

This is THE Tarzan film of my childhood. And the giant spider was at least as memorable as any number of Dr Whos,  Hammer House of Horrors or episodes of Nationwide in which Frank Bough warned us all about werewolves.

However, it wasn't this spider.

Honestly, the sequence is great but it's nothing like I remember. Wrong spider,  wrong size,  Wrong web, wrong location, wrong person in the web,  wrong wrong wrong.

So- is this a case of memory cheating? And if so, how do you explain my mate having the same memory as me? Is there another Tarzan vs Giant Spider epic? Do we both remember a completely different film, not Tarzan at all? And if so,  how? Were Weissmuller Tarzans always shown in a certain slot during the mid seventies and then one week something different was shown, so confusing two ageing men prone to reminiscing about.such things?

Argh.

SBT

JOE SOAP

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ha, no, but that is excellent and now I need to see that. There is no movie ever made that would not be improved at least 50% by the inclusion of a giant spider.
SBT

Frank

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 14 June, 2019, 04:29:09 PM
There is no movie ever made that would not be improved at least 50% by the inclusion of a giant spider

I try to watch this once every year: https://youtu.be/Wo2KB1dEDdk

... and you and your friend have been reinforcing each other's false memories for three decades

paddykafka

This would be my go-to Giant-Spider-Movie-Scene. Ropey effects and all, it still creeps the bejaysus out of me. What a great movie!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzm8f

JOE SOAP