Main Menu

Dan Dare Exhibition - Now on in Manchester.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 01 November, 2003, 11:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Been meaning to post about this for a while but was waiting until I'd checked it out. At the Museum of Science and Industry there's a special Dan Dare exhibition.

While not huge it has lots of reproductions of front pages of Eagles, lots of original artwork, behind the scenes stuff, including Franks Hampson and Bellamy, some really impressive models of spaceships from the strip and all the toys and memorablia that you could imagine. There's also an exhibition about Mars as well, which whilst I'm not much interested in that sort of thing is very impressive looking. It's a special exhibition so it costs ?3.50/?2.50, with an extra charge for parking. The rest of the musuem is free and it's a really big, fun place. It's a great day out if you have kids or an interest in science/industry. The aircraft hanger full of old flyers is worth the visit alone.

I used to be a subscribing member of the museum before it was free so I think it's well worth going, but the Dare exhibition is really nice. I enjoyed it, as did the friend I took along, and she's not into comics at all. Worth the price of entry are the little lead figures. I want one of the Aunt Anastacias so I can make a hero-clix out of it. Of great interest was the original dummy for the comic with the Dan Dare - Parson of the future strip. The only negative is there's nothing on Dans after life, just the original Eagle years. The 2k, 80's revical and television versions deserved a little space, maybe.

If you're travelling from further afield you might want to wait until December when St. Annes Square (walking distance from the museum) usually has a street market or similar attraction, as well as being home to the Royal Exchange Theatre, which usually does something interesting in December to appeal to families who aren't keen on pantos. If that doesn't interest you then Manchester Museum has just had a refit and is belting. And there's a huge, and very good, Waterstones which is worth popping into as well. If you're coming by train there are free buses from outside Picadilly Station that will take you half way there.

And the icing on the cake? They are selling old Eagles in the gift shop, in very nice condition too, bearing in mind they date from 1956-60. ?15 is a little pricey, but you get a nice book on Dare art and collectables and half a dozen postcards.

For details -

www,msim.org.uk

I also picked up half a dozen info chittys if anyone wants one give me an e-mail and I'll pop one in the post.

Thread Zero

I saw this in Bristol and was very impressed - Keith Watson's first artwork was interesting, too.  I hope it finds a permanent home somewhere once it finishes touring.  

Was Triangle the Super Phant still labeled as Volstar, though?

DavidXBrunt

I believe so. Bloody good model though.

Runs until 18th January at the M.S.I.M.

Queen Firey-Bou

hi there dear sweet techy web chaps,

someone wants me to build them a web site ( a job yipeee!!) but they want easy shopping type facility rather than ordering through e-mail. Last i looked this was expensive & too damn techy for me to do.

Is there any easy painfree in-expensive way of doing this, what softwear etc ?  bearing in mind i use dreamweaver & am a techy non-scrot with the attention span of a gnat.