Main Menu

Meg 461: The Full Force of the Law

Started by IndigoPrime, 16 October, 2023, 10:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

That last panel of Lawless balances on a high wire of magnificence above a vat of pure cheese.

It's clichéd as all heck, and nothing we haven't seen however many times before, but if the cliché is delivered with this assurance and panache then I'm still delighted to see it.

Comics at its dependable best, damn me.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JohnW on 18 October, 2023, 05:16:15 PMThat last panel of Lawless balances on a high wire of magnificence above a vat of pure cheese.

It's clichéd as all heck, and nothing we haven't seen however many times before, but if the cliché is delivered with this assurance and panache then I'm still delighted to see it.

Comics at its dependable best, damn me.

Was just about to start my review and read this and though DAMN this says it better than me. I mean Lawless is a cope out ending, the twist on reflection feels tired and old... but damnit was I not almost punching the air as it landed that perfect landing. The whole episode was a delight and thrust my favourite of thrills right back to the top of the pile.

And I mean damn in this Meg that's a pretty damned fine pile. Three absolute belters. I love Dredd when it plays with stories that feel like they are straight out of Eisner's Spirit (well with more violence!) and this is one of those. Like the best Sinister Dexter too it takes a simple idea and plays with it quite wonderfully. Superb and Colin MacNeil's art is of course just top notch - as is his cover. Simply brilliant.

As is the ending of Dreadnoughts. I mean again we're seen this sort of thing before but as with Lawless damn is it done sublimely. Tension, hard and genuinely thrill. Just magnificent.

So yeah three absolute winners and to be honest both Spectre and Black Museum are pretty damned good too, but I mean against those three most comics would just pale. Dan Cornwell is just amazing and new artist Gary Welsh (is he new or am I just not remembering?) has an impress first (early???) job a couple of panels aside.

Rogue Trooper means the extras and back matter are raised up a level or so. So yeah DAMN if this isn't a great Meg. But heck Lawless is something special once again.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 October, 2023, 09:08:58 PM...and new artist Gary Welsh (is he new or am I just not remembering?) has an impress first (early???) job a couple of panels aside.

He did a few Future Shocks in the prog most recently he did one in the regen prog 2325
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Looking at page 39, the art on Portals and Black Goo looks much better in black and white.

Proudhuff

All spiffing in the land of Meg believe!
DDT did a job on me

Barrington Boots

Can only echo that this was a brilliant Dredd this month. Excellent episodes of Spector and Lawless as well, and glad to see the latter back on track, and a deeply horrible Terror Tale.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

Possibly Mike's best Dredd ever. Hats off.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

This was one of the best one off Dredd stories I ever read.