Main Menu

2000AD presentation

Started by Demon Chicken, 30 January, 2006, 10:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demon Chicken

'ello kids!

Hope you're all fine and dandy.  I seek the might wisdom of the hive mind.  In about 2 weeks I've got a rather bizzare interview where I've got to do a 5min presentation.  I though (foolishly?) to do it on the mighty tooth and now I need to work out how much to include, what to include and how geeky to make it.  Bearing in mind it's only 5 mins long, does anyone have any tips?  So far my ideas run to "what is tooth?", famous charachters (Dredd, Johnny Alpha, Dante) and possibly a brief thing of "visit www.2000adonline.com for all your comic-y needs"

Funt Solo

Aye, well - 5 minutes ain't long.

A good overview source would be the wikipedia entry for tooth - plus I assume you'll be using lots of pictures of iconic characters.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Banners

Much like a first date, if it's for a job interview then I would avoid references to Judge Dredd at all costs.

M@

Dudley

Reluctantly, I have to second mbanners' comment.  No company I've ever worked for* would hire someone who did a presentation on comics.

*A stunning category of shysters and villains, mostly in the marketing services industry.

Art

Do it on "online communities and web-mediated collaborative projects" ie wasting time on messgageboards talking about comics and that.

Bad Andy

You don't have to do it on the comic strips themselves - you could do it as the business development of a niche title and how its managed to keep going for 25 years.

The fact it's been bought by a video games company on the strength of its intellectual property rights I think is fascinating and an example of (sorry) 'thinking outside the box'.

Of course it all depends on what the job is you are going for.

Demon Chicken

Ok, admitedly the job is for a science technician type.  But come on guys! it's tooth! What self respecting science-geek-type isn't into comics?!  

>The fact it's been bought by a video games company on the strength of its intellectual property rights I think is fascinating and an example of (sorry) 'thinking outside the box'.

Good point that man! /me writes this down somewhere to include.

Art: maybe not too wise to advertise to employers I'd be wasting time here :P

Quirkafleeg

At a wild guess... if giving presentations, training etc isn?t part of the job... then they might be wanted to see your communication skills to make sure you are not a complete nerd. Or are sadists. Or they haven?t got a clue.

General advice - don't mumble into your crib notes, use visual aids if you can, practice but not so much that you are boring etc etc
I'm sure there's a ton of stuff on line re public speaking

I was once on the other end of this and one bloke basically read his cv to us and told us how brilliant he was for the job. And yup, he got it.

ming

From a science geek point of view, it might be interesting to list a few of the ideas that appeared first in the pages of the Galaxy's Greatest, only to later emerge in this so-called 'real world' of which people speak ;-)

It's a bit early for me to think of any, mind...

Noisybast

Skysurfing
Riot foam
Robot dogs
Exploding World Trade Centre
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Just a small point. Are you sure you get to pick the topic yourself?

My experience of this kind of thing has always been that you are given a topic (and occasionally some background material which you deliberately aren't given enough time to assimilate) then left for fifteen minutes to prepare your talk.
We never really die.

Demon Chicken

> Just a small point. Are you sure you get to pick the topic yourself?

Bizarrely I'm allowed total free reign in choosing the topic! I even spoke to the recruitment wifey to check that it was right.

>Exploding World Trade Centre (?)

Did I miss this one?

Richmond Clements

Exploding World Trade Centre (?)

Did I miss this one?

I doubt it, it was all over the news a few years ago...

Oddboy

It happened in an Annual apparently - so you probably did miss it.

What about Zenith phase IV predicting the death of Labour MP John Smith from a heart attack.
Prog 806 published Oct '92.
Smith actually died (from a heart attack) aged 55 on May 12, 1994.
Better set your phaser to stun.