Main Menu

The Wire Series 3

Started by WoD, 12 June, 2007, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

Just got myself a Fathers' Day Present - the 3rd series of The Wire...£25 at HMV...nice price!  Now to get the kid to wrap it (and raid his money box).

Buttonman

A treat indeed WoD, having seen all four seasons I'd say three, which is set primarily in the docks, is the best of the bunch.

If however you think Big Brother is a hotbed of racial slurs and bad language you ain't seen nothing yet! "F*** you, you f*****' n***** mother f*****" - and that's just the announcer at the start!

WoD

Um...isn't the docks series 2???  Or have I just wasted £25?!?!?

Quirkafleeg

Yeah, the docks is series 2, 3 is Hamsterdam.

It's all in the game.

Buttonman

Oh yeah you're right I watched them out of sequence for some reason. Three is good too! This is the one where they pilot the drug tolerance zone and we see more of the Barksdales syndicate. You also see the first of Tommy Carcetti who features prominately in Season 4.

A great show but you need to concentrate, partly for the multi layered plots and host of characters but mostly to make out what everyone is saying.

Satanist

Oh series 3 is my favourite and thanks to this board talking about it I got to see it.

Is there going to be a series 5? I've read conflicting reports.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Quirkafleeg

There's gonna be a fifth series and it will be the last. Well I've heard nothing to the contrary. I think it was nearly cancelled at the end of series three due to low viewing figures but the HBO execs saw sense and just realised it was too good to cancel.

Series 4 is completely awesome btw. And I'm so sadly hard core I tracked down the previous series The Corner which was The Wires' partial inspiration and, I think, done by the same bloke. It's very good but incredibly depressing as it's basically all characters like Bubbles.
I keep meaning to track down some of the novels written by the writers (one of which is seen in the show). Yeah, that sad.

Don't really have a problem with the accents, apart from the girl gangster. But I think no-one understands her!

Satanist

Not sad at all as I'm going to track down The Corner too, and yeah I heard its extremely depressing stuff. The books also interest me, wasn't one of them the book Homicide was based on?

Oh and I cant remember where but I'm sure I read that the team said there were no more stories to tell. The only way they could do it was to talk about the Hispanic immigrants and no one on the team knew enough to keep it authentic.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Quirkafleeg

I've read and interview where they why haven't you included anything on the hispanic part of town and I think the answer was something like that, or that if they were doing series six they would do it there but there wasn't enough of a story to base a season around.

I'm sure I've read that each of the major arcs of each of the series is based on a true story and they only had five stories to tell.

I, Cosh

I'm currently in the middle of watching 1 & 2 again for about the third time in preparation for picking up 3 at the weekend. A bit annoyed that it's going to be autumn before 4's out on DVD in the states.

There's always bittorrent I suppose.
We never really die.

WoD

I was annoyed it took so long for the price to drop on #3 as #4 was on FX recently and I didn't want to watch it out of step!