Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 1 - Mike McMahon or Kev Walker

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 November, 2020, 06:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Sorry folks two absolute stinkers to wrap the week up with. We'll need a quick break over the weekend to recover from today's two votes. Come back Monday as we wrap this up...

Here we two supreme talents who both shown an astonishing ability to change and morph their art over the years. Kev Walker started with tight precise inks over typically Steve Dillon's pencils. Then moved onto a sharp powerful painted style that transcended the tag of Bisley clone. Then his more recent work became a glorious high contrast delight, with deep black shapes defining form and substance quite masterfully. But has anyone done as much to develop and stretch their art style as Mike McMahon? Has anyone delivered such iconic Dredd imagines, to then scratch and chisel Slaine's world, only to then return years later with a post modern free flowing style that defies emulation?

Alas we still have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to Round 2, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Mick McMahon - more info

Or

Kev Walker - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Monday 23rd  November.

What the hell is all this? Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys

Whose in the two different tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

Greg M.

Well, much as it was with Carlos, someone had to go up against McMahon. But as an unrepentant Howler fan, my vote can only go one way.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

McMahon. Walker is a phenomenon: like Mick his evolving style has pushed every corner of the envelope, but McMahon was the first artist that made me look at a page and realise that comics art could be more than just telling a story through drawing characters and events - it could create a world by the way it drew them.

ming

Mick McMahon - one of the true greats and I can't imagine 2000AD would have been the success it was (is) without him.

Magnetica

Kev Walker produced some of the best painted art work we have seen on the Prog in his run on ABC Warriors.

I was never much of a Mike McMahon fan when I first start reading the Prog, preferring Bolland and Ron Smith on Dredd. His take on Slaine was a big shock coming as it did after Masimo Belardinelli.

And as much as artists evolving there style is a good thing, I just can't get on with his newer (er last 30 years or so) stuff.

But I now realise what classic stuff his Dredds were from The Cursed Earth through to the Judge Child and on to Block Mania, taking in some classic one, two or three parters along the way. I now also realise what genius his Slaine was (even though it's not my favourite take on the strip). And there can be no higher praise than that from Bolland in the Art of Judge Dredd book where he says something like "Mick knocks it out of the park, again".

So yeah, Mike McMahon.

Bolt-01

Link Prime

abelardsnazz

credo

Mike McMahon for Slaine, Dredd and some of the most amazing ABC Warriors stuff. Does any strip have as consistently amazing art as ABC Warriors?

Tomwe

Aahhh both so good! Khronicles of khaos landed right as I was spending hours reading old progs in by Brother's room.

Even as Bisley had turned the world upside down, Walker was painting ROBOTS!

And then when McMahon returned to the house of tharg he had himself picked up the paint pallette but was doing the most incredible thing ever. At least, that's how I see it now. At the time it didn't float my boat!

So: for sure nostalgia I'm gonna vote Kev Walker, even though knowing this group his opponent will likely win.

JayzusB.Christ

It took me a while to get used to Kev's later simplified, Mignola-influenced style, but these days I rate it far higher than his painted robots, great as they were.  Sin City and Mandroid were just outstanding.

But then there's Sky Chariots. For that alone, Mick McMahon gets my vote - though I'm pretty sure he had a huge part in the organic curves of Mega City 1 too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

sintec

Got to be Mike McMahon for me.  For his run on Slaine and those early Dredds.