Main Menu

Dreddcon

Started by Dudley, 15 October, 2003, 09:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Is it worth going to Dreddcon if you're a mere 2000ad fan, rather than a general comics fan?

And, from your collective experience, how many other people from this board will be there?  

Trout

Question one: yes.

It's a 2000AD convention, not a general comics one. It involves all things 2K and Meg, such as merchandise, art, events, roleplaying, creators and back progs.

There is almost nothing involving other comics - not even back issues.

It's also a good old piss-up. Last year's was my first comics con and now I wouldn't miss it for a big bucket of gold-plated fish!

Second question: Lots, probably.

At the first Shedcon, there were about a dozen of us, and this year - despite the lateness of the announcement and the fact some people are going to Winterfest instead - there seem to be a fair few heading for Oxford.

I shall despatch a minion. Give him money and much sympathy. And beer.
He's not been the same since he had his mullet removed last week.*

- Trout

* Not a fish sex reference

Slippery PD

Go! Go! Go!

despite having huge reservations about going, I really enjoyed myself.  There was hardlly any "other" comics on  view and I got to meet a large number of the people on the Board.  I expect to go this year, even if its just for the day!  

One other thing is the broad range of people who frequent this board, hardly any of them are sad "comic" types*.

Yer Slips

* DXB's confessions of stamp collecting in the chat room last night, underline his Uber Geekness!!  :D

Pyroxian

>DXB's confessions of stamp collecting in the
>chat room last night, underline his Uber
>Geekness!! :D

Wow, makes my Lego and Zoid obsessions seem relatively non-geeky...

Steve

Art

Zoids are NOT geeky.

So long as its proper red and blue zoids.

None of this weird manga rubbish they're trying to flog kids these days.

DavidXBrunt

The thing is, Stamps are really interesting, actually.

longmanshort

I am greatly looking forward to this, particularly after my usual board activities were cut short by the capitalist running-dog lackies that I work for

Zarjaz!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Bolt-01

I didn't think I was going to be able to make it, despite only being two hours drive away from Oxford, but now it looks possible.

Not likely yet, but possible.

I definately wont be there for the evening due to having mini Rotts (12) with me for the day.

However, Dudley, if you have the opportunity to go; you owe it to Tharg to pop by and say thanks.

Rotts

IndigoPrime

> Zoids are NOT geeky.
> So long as its proper red and blue zoids.
> None of this weird manga rubbish they're trying to flog
> kids these days

I thought that until I got a Gojulas Giga, which pisses all over any 80s Zoid.

Devons Daddy

people who frequent this board, hardly any of them are sad "comic" types*.

in fact you know when you go to other countries and its full of foriegners. its a bit like that. you know you are not the foreigner because the other people you are with are just like you.

but really i truly wish i could be there.from all accounts it was an awsome day out and great evening as well. with some of our greastest creators in attendance.

attendance would be something to tell your grand children about, some day i shall be there. not this year but some day.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Steamboy

I'm with DD, wish i could be there it would be nice to put some faces to the voices I,ve got for you guys, if only I wasn't on the other side of the grud damn world.... oh for teleportation booths, Frip there for Dreddcon Frip back home for work the next day(or same day? or yesterday, or today ummmmmm fark knows how this time line shit works are you all infront or behind OZ it now 2.25pm thusday 16th october)
CU and have fun u bastiches....
Krestel

JamieB

Quite a few boarders at DreddCon:3 last year. As others ahve mentioned, DreddCon is 2000AD-specific, so if you're a 2000AD (and no other comics) fan, this should be the major event of your year comics-con wise!

And, yknow, WAGNER! EZQUERRA! RANSON! ETC!

J-Bo-1

Jared Katooie

Agh!

Well the one good thing about not going is I wont be able to make an ass of myself again.

I still haven't forgotten the Garth Ennis incident. My voice acted without the consent of my brain and then stopped working altogether.

Pyroxian

>I thought that until I got a Gojulas Giga, which
>pisses all over any 80s Zoid.

Yeah, there's only a few of the new Zoids that are crap - most of the new ones are the old ones with different paintjobs anyway - I've got a lovely Redhorn done in Black.

And I've still got a pile of my old Red and blue Zoids too.

Anyone remember the Marvel UK comic? Written by Grant Morrison if I remember correctly. Ripped off Alien and Terminator something rotten but I loved it.

Steve

Link: http://www.geocities.com/cheezelordmaxwell/" target="_blank">Zoids Comic

The Monarch

My first ever...

David "the buying everyone pints so they can overlook the fact i'm a sad final fantasy fan" page