Main Menu

Submitting scripts - quantity or selectiveness?

Started by Dudley, 23 October, 2003, 08:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

I'm polishing up a few Future Shock ideas and hope to be able to stick them in Tharg's slush pile before long.  My question is: is it better to send in a lot of scripts at the same time, or wait a while between each submission?  Does the editorial team get back to you if you haven't been accepted?

Art

I think they prefer it if you sned them only one at a time.

Tiplodocus

Apart from the obvious diktat that you should only present your best work anyway, Tharg only wants you to send in one script at a time.  I think it says so on the submissions guidelines.

The editorial team get back to you either way with healthy feedback if your idea was "close but no cookie".  I think generally, the less feedback you get, the worse your idea was.

You may have to wait some time for a reply though because Tharg is a busy alien and getting the comic out takes priority.

If you can make Pitchfest at DREDDCON in December, that's a way to get almost instant feedback.

Why not join scriptdroids (there's a link in the submission ssection of the site) where there's always plenty of friendly advice.

Or why not stick your idea up in the under utilised Script Test section of this site.

I've had great feedback from both.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

longmanshort

"If you can make Pitchfest at DREDDCON in December"

Or just do what Tips did and get some mug to do it for you instead ...

;oP

We came fourth though!!!
Though this was behind the vampires nuns story...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Art

Ah,see, its now traditional for unprintable filth to come second.

Tiplodocus

I haven't thanked you enough for doing this so I'll do it again.

Thanks.

If we make DREDDCON, I'll buy you a pint or two.

Dudley

Mk13

Quality - only send one at a time, and make sure it's the best thing you've ever written. Spend as much time as possible polishing it up, and do not send in a huge heap of scripts based on every idea you can come up with, as this does not make TMO very happy.

Dudley

scriptdroids (there's a link in the submission ssection of the site)

I'm blatantly being thick, but I can't find it - could you put a link in here for the hard-of-thinking?

Slippery PD

Art

Here you go. Its a bit quite at the mo but piost something up for the group to critique and i'm sure you'll get lots of replies.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scriptdroids/" target="_blank">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scriptdroids/

Mr C

Be sure to read Will Eisner's "Comics and Sequential Art", the bible for comic creation. Also be sure to read the scripts on this site to get an idea of presentation. Sending a polystyrene cup along with your submission might help as well.
Finally, sit down and write! Just thinking about it isn't going to make anything happen. Start writing a script tonight and remember, practise makes perfect!

longmanshort

"If we make DREDDCON, I'll buy you a pint or two."

Wahay! Two pints please!!!!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Tiplodocus

Yes, it has been quiet lately.  I put the bike away shorty and start commuting by train so I get a bit more time to hammer out stories on the train.

Who'd think it? A thread about submissions and I still haven't done my usual moan about... must... resist....  must... resist....

Bolt-01

Never mind writing the damn thing, just give me time to get the thumbnails finished :P

Rotts, spent all night looking through old progs, for references honest!