Main Menu

*NEWB* (2000ad thread juve-or sub basement dwellers) film discussion thread

Started by adogg4629, 26 September, 2012, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 02 October, 2012, 01:04:15 PM
This thread couldn't have come at a better time, turns out my local cinema is showing an early midnight screening this friday and saturday before Dredd officially premiers in Holland on October 11, and on my birthday too! Woo hoo, awesome as der cucumber or what!

I'll tell you guys what I thought of it when I get back but I am pretty sure I'm bound to love it.

wow! Its about time it premiered in Holland! Why so late? Anyhow, I'm pretty certain you'll like it CED! Do tell us how it went. : )
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: Mabs on 02 October, 2012, 07:18:33 PMwow! Its about time it premiered in Holland! Why so late?

Search me, Hollands' always a little late with worldwide releases. My geuss is they wanted to wait for positive word of mouth before giving it a chance as the Dutch are more open minded toward general opinion rather then Box office earnings which I understand Dredd isn't doing so well at the moment.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Rusty

I think my favourite scene in this is the exchange between Dredd and Lex. Before Lex is about to finish Dredd off, Dredd says "wait" and Lex goes off on one about him saying it. Dredd's punchline gets a laugh out of me every time. "I mean, wait for what? Another few seconds of life because you're so fucking weak that you can't stand to see it end!"? Dredd - "No...*gun fire* wait for her to shoot you!" It's the way Urban delivers that line that's so brilliant and funny.

AlpineNewt

Yeah Rusty, I remember that getting a big laugh (big considering there was only about 7 people in) in the cinema.
Some have criticized that scene asking how Dredd could have known she was there. Personally I had just assumed he saw her and was stalling until she had a clear shot.
I also liked when the big rogue Judge took the hi-ex to the head. Made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

Mabs

You remember the part that Dredd breaks that rogue judges neck? Or more rightly slams his Lawgiver into his throat? That was some brutal sh*t right there! But you have to say he had it coming!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Rusty

Quote from: AlpineNewt on 03 October, 2012, 06:01:12 PM
Yeah Rusty, I remember that getting a big laugh (big considering there was only about 7 people in) in the cinema.
Some have criticized that scene asking how Dredd could have known she was there. Personally I had just assumed he saw her and was stalling until she had a clear shot.
I also liked when the big rogue Judge took the hi-ex to the head. Made me laugh and cringe at the same time.
It's very Dirty Harry-esque. Even Urban's expression on his face reminds me of Eastwood.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Aahh, just got back from my sneak preview.

Loved it and can't really think of any praise that hasn't already been said but I will anyway.

I knew from Dredd's opening monologue that we were getting the movie we have all been waiting for, but when Dredd wasted his first perp with the awesomely delivered line "go right ahead, hot-shot!" my face transformed into a grin that I just couldn't wipe from my face throughout the rest of the film and only intensified whenever I heard words like "meat wagon", "recyk" and "high-ex".

This film does the comic justic on so many levels. I loved Dredd's deadpan humor, I loved Anderson's psycic mind propes(which the 3D used to great effect btw), I loved the little digs at the comic like the Chopper graffiti and the fattie who we see porking himself while Peach Tree's block is closing down(and who I have great affection for after reading the story "Reqiuem for a Heavyweight"), I loved Ma-Ma who totally fits the bill of the kind of criminals Dredd has to deal with, I loved how this film was able to get the most of it's reletively small budget and still manage to get so much of the comic in there. Of course this is speaking from a fans perspective and people totally unaware of the films source material will be baffled by these things without any backround or any refference to the Stallone films but who cares! This was clearly made for the fans, let that 95 film remain a minor cult hit with morons!

Some people say Ma Ma was a little underdeveloped but I disagree, I think the details the film provided were enough to give her some characterization. I mean [spoiler]working as a prostitute and getting your face cut by some pimp would turn any woman psycho[/spoiler] wouldn't it?

Standout moments? I geuss My two personal favs are Anderson giving that perp a lesson in psychic mindgames and Dredd's warning over the intercom(Ma-Ma's not the law here, I am the Law) before [spoiler]torching a gang of perps with an Incendiary round[/spoiler], that shit really made me repress the urge to jump out of my seat in a public theatre.

Also, I have to say that had there not been 3D showings of a few trailers I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference as this was my first 3D viewing but I can most certainly tell that 3D works in Dredd's favor. One of the 3D trailers was for some Underworld film and it looked like shit! All the close-up shots looked like moving cardboard images(although to be honest I'm not quite sure if the cinema I wen't to had a good 3D setup, the 3D in Dredd was impressive but not mindblowing).

I do have some issues with the film but they are so minor and insignificant that they are nothing more then a tiny mouse sitting on the back of a roaring lion with a jetpack because Dredd 3d or Dredd none 3D or whatever the hell you wan't to call it is just DAMN GOOD!

PS: Sorry if my comments are a little off-putting, I am a bit drunk.

Dandontdare

Mabs

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 06 October, 2012, 02:45:47 AM
Aahh, just got back from my sneak preview.

Loved it and can't really think of any praise that hasn't already been said but I will anyway.

I knew from Dredd's opening monologue that we were getting the movie we have all been waiting for, but when Dredd wasted his first perp with the awesomely delivered line "go right ahead, hot-shot!" my face transformed into a grin that I just couldn't wipe from my face throughout the rest of the film and only intensified whenever I heard words like "meat wagon", "recyk" and "high-ex".

This film does the comic justic on so many levels. I loved Dredd's deadpan humor, I loved Anderson's psycic mind propes(which the 3D used to great effect btw), I loved the little digs at the comic like the Chopper graffiti and the fattie who we see porking himself while Peach Tree's block is closing down(and who I have great affection for after reading the story "Reqiuem for a Heavyweight"), I loved Ma-Ma who totally fits the bill of the kind of criminals Dredd has to deal with, I loved how this film was able to get the most of it's reletively small budget and still manage to get so much of the comic in there. Of course this is speaking from a fans perspective and people totally unaware of the films source material will be baffled by these things without any backround or any refference to the Stallone films but who cares! This was clearly made for the fans, let that 95 film remain a minor cult hit with morons!

Some people say Ma Ma was a little underdeveloped but I disagree, I think the details the film provided were enough to give her some characterization. I mean [spoiler]working as a prostitute and getting your face cut by some pimp would turn any woman psycho[/spoiler] wouldn't it?

Standout moments? I geuss My two personal favs are Anderson giving that perp a lesson in psychic mindgames and Dredd's warning over the intercom(Ma-Ma's not the law here, I am the Law) before [spoiler]torching a gang of perps with an Incendiary round[/spoiler], that shit really made me repress the urge to jump out of my seat in a public theatre.

Also, I have to say that had there not been 3D showings of a few trailers I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference as this was my first 3D viewing but I can most certainly tell that 3D works in Dredd's favor. One of the 3D trailers was for some Underworld film and it looked like shit! All the close-up shots looked like moving cardboard images(although to be honest I'm not quite sure if the cinema I wen't to had a good 3D setup, the 3D in Dredd was impressive but not mindblowing).

I do have some issues with the film but they are so minor and insignificant that they are nothing more then a tiny mouse sitting on the back of a roaring lion with a jetpack because Dredd 3d or Dredd none 3D or whatever the hell you wan't to call it is just DAMN GOOD!

PS: Sorry if my comments are a little off-putting, I am a bit drunk.

Glad to hear that you liked it Cursed Earth Dweller! I agree with you that the 3D is really excellent especially in Anderson's interrogation scene. And for me the Slo-mo scenes were absolutely beautiful to watch in a strange way, seeing as most of it was when the perps were blown away to pieces! I thought the scene of the bullet tearing through that guys mouth/ face was both repulsive and beautiful at the same time! And I also agree that Ma-Ma was a great villainess, and I feel her character was developed. This month's Meg had a great prologue story to Ma-Ma's origins. And it really helped to bridge her story to the film. In the end. I had a smidgeon of sympathy for her demise I have to say.  One of my very small problems with the film was that it wasn't long enough! By the end I wanted MORE!

Anyway, great review!  : )

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cursed Earth Dweller

Well I just got back from my second screening and found a few more things I liked about the film:

1) I like how Dredd sounds a bit like Robocop when he's not speaking in gravel tone.

2) When Judge Lex [spoiler]has Dredd cornered and Dredd baits him into stalling time long enough for Anderson to sneak up at shoot him[/spoiler], that bit soooo reminded me of "When you wan't to shoot, shoot! Don't talk" from The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

Quote from: MabsI thought the scene of the bullet tearing through that guys mouth/ face was both repulsive and beautiful at the same time!

That scene was indeed pleasantly brutal but for me the best 3D scenes(becides the Anderson bit) were Ma Ma playing in the bath and [spoiler]her slow-mo influenced plunge to death near the end which pretty much symbolised her downfall from a drug lord block owner to just another dead perp on her way to recyk[/spoiler].

One question about the bent Judges though: Judge Lex [spoiler]is a 20 year veteren as he states to Dredd in the film, does that mean he served longer then Dredd? Because if I remember correctly when the comic started Dredd was in service for about 15 years, maybe less[/spoiler].

Again, damn good film and hope to see the DVD out soon.

Mabs

Quote from: Cursed Earth Dweller on 07 October, 2012, 02:58:40 AM
Well I just got back from my second screening and found a few more things I liked about the film:

1) I like how Dredd sounds a bit like Robocop when he's not speaking in gravel tone.

2) When Judge Lex [spoiler]has Dredd cornered and Dredd baits him into stalling time long enough for Anderson to sneak up at shoot him[/spoiler], that bit soooo reminded me of "When you wan't to shoot, shoot! Don't talk" from The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

Quote from: MabsI thought the scene of the bullet tearing through that guys mouth/ face was both repulsive and beautiful at the same time!

That scene was indeed pleasantly brutal but for me the best 3D scenes(becides the Anderson bit) were Ma Ma playing in the bath and [spoiler]her slow-mo influenced plunge to death near the end which pretty much symbolised her downfall from a drug lord block owner to just another dead perp on her way to recyk[/spoiler].

One question about the bent Judges though: Judge Lex [spoiler]is a 20 year veteren as he states to Dredd in the film, does that mean he served longer then Dredd? Because if I remember correctly when the comic started Dredd was in service for about 15 years, maybe less[/spoiler].

Again, damn good film and hope to see the DVD out soon.

Thats what I thought - that he sounded like Robocop in a few scenes! ''You have 20 seconds to comply'' (at least I think it was 20!) :D

And yes, the Ma-Ma bath scene was also my favourite slo-mo moment. I mentioned it in my review, that it looked simply breath-taking, almost poetic.

That 'The Good The Bad, and The Ugly' similitude you pointed out is spot on! (by the way, its one of my favourite westerns ever).

I'm quite envious that you managed to watch the film again! Being a father of two kids, I rarely have time on my hands these days. So I was lucky enough to watch Dredd just the once! Like you, I cannot wait for the DVD to come out. : )

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cursed Earth Dweller

Funnily enough I'm trying to convince my old man to see it with me when it comes out next month, might go next weekend. I would have said try taking the kids befor it occured to me it would be a bit strange trying to sneek two minors into an 18+ film  :o. Weirdly enough Dredd is certified 16+ in Holland as that is the highest age limit for adult films here.

SmallBlueThing

That's remarkably irresponsible of Holland. I'd imagine that the country is a hellish post-apocalyptic landscape of teenage serial murderers, drug addicts, sexual perverts and that the Dutch as a race must spend their time invading foreign countries and committing mass murder of innocent populations. That must be what it's like, surely? After all, our government here in britain maintains that some movies can 'deprave and corrupt' young people if they are allowed to see them at a younger age than eighteen. And our government couldnt possibly be lying, in an effort to distract us from society's real problems. Nope. Never.

SBT

Cursed Earth Dweller

Shit, I mean next week, Dredd debuts NEXT WEEK! My kingdom for an edit button!

And quite frankly I think Britian is too concerned with whats up the queens arse to give a flying fuck about whats going on here but I am not interested in getting into political bigotry on a thread discussing an awesome film. I just live in Holland and life here is just fine. Why should I give a shit about what you find "remarkably irresponsible"?

Just so you know I stopped going on youtube to avoid making comments like this.