Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Feck, I'd forgotten it was that time of week. Perfect timing - have to tidy my living room (or saloon, if you want to use the technical boat term) and this podcast always makes boring tasks fun.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bad Andy

I've read two Italian Job jokes in pretty quick succession. First with Spatchcock and Flintlock and then not long afterwards with Dante and the Countess.

I take it Robbie was a fan :D

Illyana

sheridan

12?  But I'm only on episode...  Well, never mind which episode I'm on.  Unlike some other podcasts, I just can't just put it on in the background - I have to have Dante open and in front of me while I listen to you two talk about it, which means actually making sure I have time set aside to concentrate.  Nobody should be expected to concentrate on one thing for more than ten minutes.  What is this, the twentieth century?

sheridan

Illyana

Barrington Boots

Listened to this already because my job allows that sort of thing. This is imo the weakest Dante story but the podcast is as great as ever, with a lovely shout out to Bolt from Simon and Evie.

No Romanov boxers - boo
No-prize - yay!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Bad Andy

Only recently read it but can barely remember it.  Unless its the one about Jocasta and Nikolai's dad being siblings? Ugh

Colin YNWA

Oh wow - I got a No Prize - I'm excited to an extent that just isn't respectable... I don't get out as much as I used to.

The pressure is on with my name BUT I do have another question for Simon. Any more Lilly MacKenzie planned? That was good comics!

Illyana

Illyana

Quote from: Illyana on 19 May, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
It's WEDNESDAY, the child is full of woe, and it's new podcast day!

http://simonfraser.net/tgdrpodcast/2021/5/18/ep-14-fists-of-the-dance

How dare that image not post when it looked fine in the preview! Yer makin' me look like an amateur, board!

Barrington Boots

I listened to this whilst doing a tedious job and it made my morning a lot less tedious.
I read these two Dante stories out of sequence (I missed it in the Prog, caught up via the collected softbacks and book 3 which started with these was long out of print) and as such they always felt a bit prelude-y to me: not in a bad way but, knowing that the story is about to escalate dramatically I tend to zip through them to get the main Marriage plot so it was good to just read them alone. The train sequence is great. I always feel a bit sorry for the Arbatov here.

I could listen to Edie and Simon talk about Dante / sushi / Eddie Vedder / racist content in Temple of Doom etc. all day. They never feel like they're trying too hard to be funny or interesting, they just are those things. And I am down for an Arbatov spinoff and Arbatov singing. More Arbatov content please!

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Idea for names for the listeners to the Podcasts

Fantes

Readthrough Irregulars

(well you can tack Irregulars onto the end of any better suggstions!)

Fante Irregulars

Bad Andy

Will listen to this over the weekend. Always like a Dante drop.

Question: With Penguin adapting some Tooth properties for audio dramas, what about Dante?

And who would play him? What does Nikolai sound like in your head?

Simon Fraser

Dante has a Glasgow accent , in my mind.