Main Menu

Meg 225 Ladies who punch!

Started by Proudhuff, 18 October, 2004, 06:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Looks like a copy of Nuts or Heat or some off that tosh, but insides looks good, of to a class so full review later

Huff
DDT did a job on me

Bad Andy

Read it over the weekend and I'm particularly unimpressed considering the last issue. The stories are very so so meaning the Simping Detective is by far and away the best thing in it, although this fails to reach its usual (very high) standards.

The Dredd/Waugh story seems to be a warm-up for a Devlin story and nothing else. Anderson - crap.
Shimura - needs time. Middenface - loads happens but you don't feel like it has any gravitas.

On the plus side most of the opinion text features have improved. Don't quite know what Si Spurrier is on about, but I'm sure there is an audience for this - it's just not me.

I did like the Dredd 2 per cent story - even if it only told us something we've known for ages.

Maybe I should read it again in a better frame of mind - or maybe it was the cover that just made me wary of mistakes made in that direction in the past. Or what's so maybe about Katie?

DavidXBrunt

Despite the editorials suggestion that it's the sex that'll offend I was offended by the fact that the cover was just plain ugly. And Demarco looks like Nemesis from the waist down.

ukdane

Shimura - needs time

IIRC It's over next month! How much time do you think it needs?

(ps Didn't get a meg either this am!)
Cheers

-Daney

Bico

The last ish hasn't even shown up over here yet - D'oh!

By "D'oh!", of course, I actually mean "Jesus shitting Christ!", but don't wish to offend anyone.

Keef Monkey

Haven't read it yet but the cover is a little disappointing, robs Demarco of all the sex appeal the last issue gave her, but still really looking forward to reading it.

DavidXBrunt

Only read the strip content so far but that's pretty good, it has to be said.

Dredd - Part two of Bite Fight exceeds part one and is rather good indeed, Devlin is never less than entertaining and the moment when the dying thug expresses his true feelings for him mate is a classic. Shaun Thomas and Alan Grant bring us a so-so back up story.

Simping Detective - Very, very good indeed. What with this and Lobster Random running at once if Si were to get killed by a bus tomorrow he'd be remembered as a Jimmy Hendrix style 'died too young' legend for ever. In fact, death might be the only way to seal his reputation...Lovely drawing Frasier (I'm never spelling his name correctly again. He got my name wrong on the art I bought from him at Dreddcon.)

Anderson - Good stuff, but right now I've los the shape and need to read the whole thing to assess it properly.

Middenface - Change of narrator each episode? Like the catapult reference to earlier tales and I'm really impressed at how this is shaping out. Best McNulty yet.

Matt

Look at that cover. Definite case of camels toe!

frazer

Actually, "camel toe" is smack dang on the line that-is-not-to-be-crossed by art droids, for some reason. At least, that's what I was told when my original designs for Demarco's thong involved a speculum and various other vulvic-fantastique ornaments.

F

The Amstor Computer

Any chance of a few sketches, guv? Just for me art collection, you understand... ;-)

(BTW - anyone else get a damp, crumpled Meg? Mine arrived in a shocking state & I'm waiting to see if subs will replace it...)

thrillpowerseeker

my meg HAD been wet..though dry when i got it..but the pages had that curl you get damps set in...anyway

Dredd-Bite Club  8-))
Middenface       8-))
Anderson         8-|
Shimura          8-)
Simping D        8-))
Charleys War     8-))
Dredd-2%         8-)

Will be reading the comics review and the text stories but think I will skip the rest..

Overall..Impressive

The Amstor Computer

BTW, Fraze - was that Tracii Lords you used as a model for your Caballistics designs? Inquiring minds, and all that... :-D

Queen Firey-Bou

it always makes me laugh how any nudity is instantly accompanied my editorial excuses, maybe fan-boys do get upset by it ? get over it laddies !  inaba looking well cute, but i'm afraid demarco is too manly & lacks the soft delcious (yet painfully attired) curves as seen in frazers version. Not that theres anything wrong with muscley women, no. just doesnt work in that pic. imho.

way i figure it, look at friday night high street ladies clothing ten years ago, compare to these days, extropolate into the future & yes theyll be wearing fishing twine & peircings to go to tescos.   except in the north where everyone will still dress like bruce springstien, for ever & ever & ever.

The Amstor Computer

Quick comment now that I've had chance to read it:

The text pieces in this Meg are great - a real leap forward from the largely disappointing ones last month. Si Spurrier's Hellboy piece could do with being cut to one page, but it's entertaining fluff & is much better than his Spiderman piece last time around.

The pieces on Monkey & Krigstein are great - informative & well-written, but not dry - and I'd welcome many more of these.

Even Jonathan Morris' piece is an improvement, with one line that made me giggle ("Tom played by Matthew Macfadyean, who delivers each line with all the po-facedness of a po" :-D ) It was ultimately just another bit of fluff, but at least it entertained. GRennie's column (copyright every bawdy Brit comedy, ever) is just as much fun as usual - good to see he's putting the board to good use ;-)

The stand-out has to be the interview with Robin Smith, with an in-depth look at the early years of 2000AD from a droid's perspective. Some of it covers ground we've been over in TPO, but this is a more personal recounting of the Golden Age that can sometimes be more illuminating.

Excellent stuff, and I reckon the Meg team have got the balance between informative & entertaining just about right. Cut a page off the movie pieces (sorry, Si!) and keep Jonathan Morris off traditional "geek" TV, and I'll be a happy reader.

frazer

"BTW, Fraze - was that Tracii Lords you used as a model for your Caballistics designs? Inquiring minds, and all that... :-D"

Nope, but keep guessing:)

F