Main Menu

Finn: Origins

Started by broodblik, 02 January, 2023, 03:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Finn was always one of those classics thrills which I really liked as a child. Moving a few 1000 years in the future and let's see how it stacks up against old memories and that damn thing called the nostalgia factor.

Finn is a cab driver by day and a witch by night, Finn is part of a coven dedicated to protecting humanity from the agents of the old 'Great Ones', the ancient intergalactic beings who separated humanity from their beastly nature and have maintained control ever since. Finn uses arcane magic and high-tech weaponry to take the fight to the Newts as he attempts to undermine their control of the military-industrial complex and free humanity from their shackles.

I know exactly why I liked Finn growing up. My world was a strict by the rules no nonsense society and I was drawn to the anti-authority and anarchy of the character. Today hopefully a little bit wiser and I do prefer the more structured rules bases society because I can see the damage the anarchy and loss of rules can do to your world.

So, when I re-read Finn it almost felt to me that both parties I will not support in real life very much how Nemesis end up to be neither the good nor bad.  Why can't we just try to meet each other half-way people?
Yes, I still enjoyed Finn especially the first two books with art by Jim Elson (later joined by Kevin Wicks). I liked the world Mills/Skinner created but it still felt like a formula that especially Mills has done a multiple times and will be repeated (I am looking at you ABC Warriors). The last part of the book contains the start to the Origins story-line which I will be honest I found a little bit silly.

To sum up if you like your stories Pagan with a lot of violence then Finn is for you. If you are very religious, please stay away. So, nostalgia won for me thus the story still gets a thumbs up.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JohnW

Third World War is where Mills's preachiness started to grate on me. Even so, if Finn had followed hard on the heels of that story I'd have liked it a lot more, open-minded lad that I was. As it happened though, Finn came along during the dark years when I was no longer as willing to give it a fair chance.
If I strip away the accumulated layers of prejudice, I see a story that had a lot going for it, both in script and art, but I'm just not going to bother. Thanks for the write-up, Broodblik. It absolved me from having to reassess this. I'm leaving Finn back in the nineties where I found it.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

I just liked all the tits in that Liam Sharp one about battery farming.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

And that's the sort of incisive criticism this forum has been missing lately!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"