Main Menu

Metalzioc Possible Collection

Started by broodblik, 06 February, 2023, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I was hoping that we might one day get a Metalzoic collection.

I have a little bit more hope after I read the following on Pat Mill's twitter:

Early days - very early days - but a positive response from Rebellion re a black and white Metalzoic. Of course it all depends on DC Comics, but Rebellion sound enthusiastic. Thanks to everyone for prompting me.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

nxylas

Shame that a colour reprint looks unlikely, but half a loaf and all that.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

I prefer the black and white version. I'd happily buy this, if it had really good repro and ideally included the cover art and such. (I'd be happiest with a HC.)

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 February, 2023, 08:23:35 PMI prefer the black and white version. I'd happily buy this, if it had really good repro and ideally included the cover art and such. (I'd be happiest with a HC.)
When looking through the Barney covers gallery for my avatar art, I was surprised at how many covers Metalzoic got in its relatively brief run. But when you have an artist as awesome as Kev firing on all cylinders, it seems like the right decision.

JohnW

Black and white version for me too.
Except for the covers, I don't recall the colouring being anything special.
(The last cover—a wraparound—was oh so special. Meteors, rain of fire, robotic elk—the business.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

13school

I still have the DC edition here somewhere and I remember the colouring as being absolutely shocking. I guess it came out right at that sweet spot when paper stocks and colouring methods were all in flux and nobody really knew what was going to work best... so they went with the worst possible options.

So yep, definitely keen for a B&W collection

IndigoPrime

I have the graphic novel too. It's flimsy and the colouring is muddy. It doesn't really do anything for the book, to my mind.

Link Prime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 February, 2023, 08:23:35 PMI prefer the black and white version. I'd happily buy this, if it had really good repro and ideally included the cover art and such. (I'd be happiest with a HC.)

Pretty much this.

Colin YNWA

Its interesting to me that I'd like this in colour, where as normally I wouldn't. The reason being I have it in (largely) black and white in the Progs and as it was originally drawn for a colour volume I'd like to have the chance to own it that way (well I could of course track down the OGN).

Unlike something like Halo Jones that everytime I look at purchasing a colour version I decide not as its 'designed' to be in black and white.

nxylas

I'm only going from memory, as I no longer have either the original DC graphic novel, or the progs it was reprinted in. But it was originally designed as a continuous 64-page story in colour. So I remember thinking at the time that it suffered a little from being reprinted in black & white and broken up into 5- or 6-page chunks. Maybe if I'd read it that way first, I wouldn't have noticed it as much. I think my ideal edition would be recoloured, printed on good quality paper, have all the "next prog" boxes etc removed so that it reads as a single episode, and with a covers gallery at the back.

broodblik

I would like both versions. But will go for any since we have none presently
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Maybe two covers and you read it in one direction in colour and the other in black and white! :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 February, 2023, 12:58:26 PMMaybe two covers and you read it in one direction in colour and the other in black and white! :D

Oh I like this. Bit like the ol' Phoenix X-Mas double issues. Do that Rebellion and to hell with the extra cost to you!

rogue69

Kevin O'Neill once said that when there was talks going on between DC & Rebellion for the original collection he had offered to recolour the story in the same way he did the colour Nemesis but talks fell apart

Tjm86

That's a shame.  Mind you, I'd think it would be a bit tricky now to produce a quality colour version with all the time that has passed.  Would the resources be there to do a good enough job?