Main Menu

Ro Busters & A.B.C Warriors: Overview

Started by broodblik, 25 July, 2023, 05:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Excellent article this. Nice summary of the strips history and a good critical assessment of when things started to slide. Thanks for posting!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dark Jimbo

So genuinely sad to think it's over - and that the saga had such a damp squib of an ending, to boot.
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Yes it fizzled out and the main problem was that the last few books felt more like a reshuffle of chapters of the previous books but with new art
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

In the middle of the article it says wrt The Shadow Warriors: " Carlos Ezquerra drew book 1, with the quintessential 2000AD artist Henry Flint drawing the remaining 2."

Ok Carlos didn't do his best art on ABC Warriors, and Flint is awesome, but calling someone else "the quintessential 2000AD artist" in a sentence containing the words Carlos Ezquerra just doesn't sound right.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 July, 2023, 08:31:20 AMIn the middle of the article it says wrt The Shadow Warriors: " Carlos Ezquerra drew book 1, with the quintessential 2000AD artist Henry Flint drawing the remaining 2."

Ok Carlos didn't do his best art on ABC Warriors, and Flint is awesome, but calling someone else "the quintessential 2000AD artist" in a sentence containing the words Carlos Ezquerra just doesn't sound right.

Yeah - it could've worked as "The quintessential Carlos Ezquerra ... with the superlative ... Henry Flint ...".
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JohnW

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 July, 2023, 08:31:20 AMcalling someone else "the quintessential 2000AD artist" in a sentence containing the words Carlos Ezquerra just doesn't sound right.

And here I side with Luke Williams in the original article.
Ezquerra's art is superlative, and it stands alongside O'Neill's and McMahon's as part of what made 2000AD so special.
But Flint's is quintessentially 2000AD, in that his style is so strongly reminiscent of Ezquerra and O'Neill and McMahon at their Toothiest.
If 2000AD had such a thing as a house style, Henry Flint would be its perfect expression.
Thus 'quintessence' is the right word.

In fact, the only time in my life I have ever used the word is, as far as I know, in relation to the Flint droid.
(If it turns out that I've misunderstood the meaning of the word then I will humbly shut my trap and go to the back of the class.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

karlos

Anyone know if there's any reprints of The Black Hole on the horizon?

nxylas

Quote from: JohnW on 31 July, 2023, 05:04:27 PM(If it turns out that I've misunderstood the meaning of the word then I will humbly shut my trap and go to the back of the class.)
i'd agree with this assessment, FWIW,
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Blue Cactus

Quote from: karlos on 31 July, 2023, 07:11:56 PMAnyone know if there's any reprints of The Black Hole on the horizon?

It might be nice if they included it in the new Nemesis reprints really. It's pretty much part of the story, and it would be great to see the art in that format.

karlos

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 06 August, 2023, 10:09:25 PM
Quote from: karlos on 31 July, 2023, 07:11:56 PMAnyone know if there's any reprints of The Black Hole on the horizon?

It might be nice if they included it in the new Nemesis reprints really. It's pretty much part of the story, and it would be great to see the art in that format.

Totally agree!