Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Yeah, I hadn't been following this at all but Elite Squad and the Bus one are both pretty good. Not Soldier of Orange good but still enough to get me interested where I wasn't before.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Elite Squad was great. This seems quite far removed however - which is a shame because some of that tone would be perfect for Robocop. Death squads and widespread corruption and crime sounds pretty apt for Detroit (and in the movie too... I'll get my coat that jokes been done to death).

JOE SOAP

I'm willing to give it a chance but I'm all ready starting to feel sorry for Jackie Earle-Haley who deserves better than being paid to dance to this music: Field Test.

Goaty

Old RoboCop got remastered and steelbook...

Looks good cover, but I do prefer the original poster...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Goaty on 24 January, 2014, 08:28:05 AM

Good God. Does nobody in these graphic design departments even notice that the internet is full of articles mocking these bloody clichés? Or do they just think "Limited colour palette; hero stands alone; orange embers swirling across... yep, the movie industry needs another one of those" ...?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 January, 2014, 08:44:34 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 24 January, 2014, 08:28:05 AM

Good God. Does nobody in these graphic design departments even notice that the internet is full of articles mocking these bloody clichés? Or do they just think "Limited colour palette; hero stands alone; orange embers swirling across... yep, the movie industry needs another one of those" ...?

Cheers

Jim

He also looks like a giant.

I have this preordered but agree that they should have gone with that iconic original poster art.

Recrewt

Yeah, we have already discussed this on another thread where recent repackaging is nowhere near as good as the original posters/artwork.

Nice that they went with such a dynamic pose for him too.  ::)

Apestrife

Love the pew pew pew pew sounds in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfS1ANhIXhQ

Looks like the film could end up as quite okay. And if nothing else Jose Padilha could end up doing more films in the dream factory. Where I think he could do wonders.

Frank

Quote from: Recrewt on 24 January, 2014, 10:28:58 AM
Nice that they went with such a dynamic pose for him too.  ::)

No doubt taking their cue from the oddly inert pose and the bland, lumpen design showcased in the posters for the new film. I saw this on the side of a bus shelter during the week, and thought it was so nondescript it could have been advertising broadband or dishwasher tablets. It's not terrible, it's just indifferent:

Goaty

Empire: 2 of 5.

Total Film: 4 of 5.

Hawkmumbler

SFX gave it a 4/5 also. Might be worth the time, might not be. I'm going in with an open mind.

Goaty

Maybe but one thing on my mind...

ROBOCOP GOT HUMAN HAND!

Mabs

@Pete Wells: Oh those copycat-ing bastards!

@Goaty: Yep, the hand does grate, I've read a few reviews and they say that the hand is a big distraction. I mean why go with it in the first place? To humanise him? He's already got his face to show that.   ::)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Apestrife

Quote from: Mabs on 05 February, 2014, 09:06:55 PM
@Pete Wells: Oh those copycat-ing bastards!

@Goaty: Yep, the hand does grate, I've read a few reviews and they say that the hand is a big distraction. I mean why go with it in the first place? To humanise him? He's already got his face to show that.   ::)

A nod to the original perhaps.

Will watch it this Saturday. Had a hard time not buying a ticket after watching this interview. Watching it if only to support his work. Would really want to watch his upcoming documentary about missing people in Rio! (If you haven't, then watch his Bus 174. Awesome docu, better than most thrillers!)

http://youtu.be/qxjgAGaOuLI

I like alot of the ideas José (the director) are throwing around, but I'm being careful not believing all of it made it into his film.