Main Menu

Superman Returns

Started by Mike Carroll, 22 April, 2005, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scutfink

Also, on the Spaceship escape craft thing:

Jor-El (Supes' Dad) was the only guy on Krypton who actually believed the place was in any danger, (IIRC most folks considered him to be something of a crackpot.) so basically the size of the ship was a funding issue.

No-one's willing to front up the cash to avert a disaster that's not going to happen...

Dudley

...as Lembit Opik (the British Jor-El) can attest...

paulvonscott

"Jor-El (Supes' Dad) was the only guy on Krypton who actually believed the place was in any danger, (IIRC most folks considered him to be something of a crackpot.) so basically the size of the ship was a funding issue."

In the film the council would have done their nut if they'd found out he had a ship, so presumably secrecy was a big isue as well.  Give the guy a break, he built a fully working space pod capable of saving his son and transporting him to another world in his spare time.

The original superman film is my favourite superhero movie ever.  It has its faults, Clark is too clownish for me, and why did they feel the need to get someone else to play him as a young man, but I've never really read any Superman comics and think the film is great fun.  We say it at junior school as a treat on the film projector and I remember everyone running around the fields trying to go impossibly fast during the interval.

Like any sequal, it needs to convince me I guess.

I'd be interested in seeing a 'directors' cut of the second film with all the missing bits restored.

JOE SOAP

Donner's new cut for Superman 2 is coming to dvd in November.

Woolly

'Donner's new cut for Superman 2 is coming to dvd in November.'

I might be wrong, but i thought the Donner version was only going to be available as part of the 14-disc-bollocks-out-massive-boxset version? Lets be honest now, who wants that?!?

-Wul (hoping he's wrong!)

Buddy

Going to see Superman Returns on Thursday, if I can get a babysitter organised!

Carlsborg Expert

Well I think he should nd its just a shame that a few stupid writers like Brian Coyle ruined the continuity of him, especially when he of all people developed Superboy,superdog, the Superbike for Chrissakes.

Dissapointed,Moss~Side

ThryllSeekyr

Fair enough, those first two queries seem alittle silly now since I posted them.

BUt imaigne what might have happened if they arrived enmass on Earth.

Just another thought, Isn't it ironic that they imprisoned General Zod and his two croniesin the phantom zone just before ( Moments, hours.) the big bang.

Saving their lives.

While they themselves all perished.

scutfink

Posted by ThryllSeekyr:

Fair enough, those first two queries seem alittle silly now since I posted them.

Not at all, things that seem obvious to one person can often be confusing to others and vice versa...

Especially when you put so much time and effort into setting up the 'Green stuff from Krypton: Lethal to Superman' idea only to have him go chucking green Kryptonian crystals about in the Arctic circle...

Buddy

Sorry. that's NEXT Thursday.

Doggy Carrots

still it could have been worse than brandonhttp://www.soapsgirl.org/images/primetime/lois&clark/superman.jpg">

Doggy Carrots

Doggy Carrots

what always annoys me about supes costume is when he gets shot or anything like that it never rips when it should it's suprs thats bulletproof not his costume so the bullet should leave a hole in the costume, is it only me that gets pissed off with tiny little details like that or is there anyone else.

Bico

"Well I think he should nd its just a shame that a few stupid writers like Brian Coyle ruined the continuity of him, especially when he of all people developed Superboy,superdog, the Superbike for Chrissakes."

Eh?

I've more wondered how an advanced (space-faring) race can be extinct when their home planet goes boom.  Apart from that city full of Kryptonians in the Supergirl movie, there must be loads of other colonies out there.  There was a lengthy and drawn-out explanation for why Kal-El was one of a kind in the comics a few years ago, but the film is a different kettle of fish, I'd imagine.

scutfink

Doggy Carrots:

IIRC there was som kind of dodgy explanation at some point (Comics or TV incarnation, I don't know, I'm more of a Batman fan really...)
That he radiated some kind of weak Kryptonian Aura or something, until it would look really cool if his costume was all ripped, I'm sure it made sense to someone (Or it may just be another fragmented figment of my Memorimagination.).

Bumsex:

With regards the films, although Kryptonian science was certainly advanced I always got the impression that their restrictive society wasn't big on the whole expansion into space concept.

But I was, what, four when the movie came out  (1978?), so, again I could be remembering things wrong...