Main Menu

Superman Returns

Started by Mike Carroll, 22 April, 2005, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doggy Carrots

thats a lame excuse they could have atleast said he wove the costume out of his own hair and thats why it dosn't rip, when will they learn to make good excuses tut

Darryl

Ah, but is it faithful to the core concept?

After seeing the trailers, I'm looking forward to it - but I'm wondering why they're using some unknown rock track rather than the iconic theme tune on the tv trailers....

Richmond Clements

Superman's costume is made from the blankets that he was wrapped in when he arrived on Earth. That's why they don't get damaged by bullets or flying at extreme speeds or the incredible heat at the Earth's core.

Dark Jimbo

Superman's costume is made from the blankets that he was wrapped in when he arrived on Earth. That's why they don't get damaged by bullets or flying at extreme speeds or the incredible heat at the Earth's core.

And yet his aunt was presumably able to use scissors and a needle on it when she first made the blankets into a costume...
@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements

His Aunt? That's Spider-man you're thinking of, I suspect- it's his mammy Kent.

She probably used kryptonite needles. Or something.

Jim_Campbell

Not a Supes fan by any stretch, but I thought the costume issue had been explained away by the fact that it's not his skin that's diamond hard, but that he's enveloped by a field a few millimetres deep that conveys his invulnerability ...

No idea where I dredged that up from, but it does kinda makes sense ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Art

IIRC The costume was indetsructible until John Bryne decided it wasn't. In the earlier version the Kents unraveled the kryptonian material of the blanket Superman had in the capsule, and then when they needed to cut it that got the young Superman to use his heat vision on it.

That whole "unravelling" thing always makes me think of wooly jumpers knitted by someones nan.

Jim_Campbell

"IIRC The costume was indetsructible until John Bryne decided it wasn't."

Of course it wasn't, you FOOL! Anyone who thinks that an indestructible costume is part of the CORE CONCEPT of Superman is an ASSHOLE.

Away with you to the corner, where the followers of the false prophet Moore are chastised by flagellation with copies of Byrne's masterly work on Starbrand [1].

Cheers

Jim

[1] Which I never read, but a review of which in Speakeasy [2], I think, stuck in my mind. It opened along the lines of "Hoo-boy, I've read some stinkers in my time. No, really, I've read some old bollocks, but compared to this, Turok Son of Stone is a masterpiece ..."

[2] Really showing my age, now ...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ThryllSeekyr

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have seen the part where some guy points a gun at his face and shoots him point blank right at his left eyeball.

The bullet crumples on impacts and bounces off.

That's tough kryptonian eyeballs.

ThryllSeekyr

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have seen the part where some guy points a gun at his face and shoots him point blank right at his left eyeball.

The bullet crumples on impact and bounces off.

That's tough kryptonian eyeballs.

scutfink

Humourous Superman shennanigans...

http://www.pvponline.com/index.php3" target="_blank">How's my Web-fu today?

Floyd-the-k

Jim, not having read something is no obstacle to reviewing it providing you're John Byrne.
     I think it's illegal to discuss the Superman fillum on the JB Forum because JB finds the idea of people who enjoy a good movie without sharing his concerns about wether it's true to CORE CONCEPT too depressing.

SPOILERS

He (JB) refers to Superman having a 'bastard son'.

anyway, I saw the movie today with Roy and loved it. Not the best movie ever, but good fun. It was funny enough (in the Lex Luthor bits), Supes was likable and good-looking and the story moved along well.  I never got used to that costume though, but that's not important.  Kevin Spacey was good. He looked exactly like Gene Hackman but was less over the top and annoying.

Art

SPOILERS

I agree with John Bryne about the kid being a crap idea. Shockomundo! Other than that the first two thirds of the film are flawless, with the business with the plane being especially good. However the last third the film kind of loses it's way, which is a bit of a shame. Still, high hopes for a sequel!

Radbacker

its OK but after the rev up it gives you in the first half the second half just seems boring.  I think its a problem with Superman in general, he's so Super who can you get to actually fight him?  its the one thing Supes III did right gave him someone to fight who could kick his ass(even if it was a duplicate him).

Oh and 2 1/2 hours is too long for the big guy.

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

Yeah, in terms of power Superman is unbalnced.

Everyu crooked person should carry around a lump of Kryptonite just for the sake fairness.