Main Menu

Superman Returns

Started by Mike Carroll, 22 April, 2005, 10:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Spalding

I found the middle too slow.  It's like it started to get going, then stopped.  It needed, like so many of the films I've seen recently, more effort spent in the editing suite.
The ending was good.
I was only annoyed at how Richard, the most decent person in the film, including Supes, gets shat on.

longmanshort

Really, really enjoyed it. Genuine warmth and affection for the source material - it was only after re-watching the original to see this is as much a tribute to that as it is a continuation of the franchise! Routh's likeness to Reeves in certain shots is uncanny and Spacey is very fun as Luthor.

Haven't enjoyed a superhero film this much since Spiderman.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Woolly

Heres how i see the plot.....

Lois: "So where've you been, you arsehole?"
Supes: "Um... I went to see if my planet, and indeed my ENTIRE F*CKIN RACE are still around, you selfish bitch!"
Lois: "Oh, okay then...fair enough, but... WE DON'T NEED YOU!!"
Supes: "Er.. yes you do! Theres allsorts of crazy shit going on! Crashing planes, etc.."
Lois: "Hmmm. Good point. Oh yeah, say hello to... YOUR SON!!."
Supes: "Yeah... I'd already guessed that..."

Oh well, its a Bryan Singer film so it'll probably win a few oscars... (sigh)

W. R. Logan

Liked parts, disliked others but overall it didnt thrill me as much as I hoped. Best part for me was when the kid looked at Clark and instantly knew he was Superman and had a look of disbelief on his face that no one else could see it.

Al_Ewing

SPOILAAAAARRRGGGHHHHS

"So Lois, we've had some super-unprotected sex, and my super-swimmers are heading for your egg with all speed. I guess this might be a good time to give you a pregnancy test of steel, which I can do with one glace at your womb, before I PISS OFF TO SPACE FOR FIVE YEARS to look at some corpses. Without saying goodbye or even leaving a note i.e. DEAR EARTH, GONE TO SPACE, PLUG YOUR OWN DAMN VOLCANOES SIGNED SUPERMAN. P.S. WON'T BE GOING BACK IN TIME WHICH I CAN DO SO THIS WILL TAKE FIVE WHOLE YEARS. SPACE CORPSES INTEREST ME STRANGELY. Actually the real truth is I'm on an important mission to listen to Sympathy For A Down and cry, and I can only to that in the dark depths of the Emo Galaxy. Have fun with Cyclops until I come back and make you forget his weeny girlface by flying you around like a super-stud. Hope he doesn't kill himself when your kid leaps his daycare centre in a single bound and he realises that you'd been telling porkies of steel. Oh wait - I do."

Actually I had a great time watching that.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

longmanshort

I do remember once reading a feature that explored the issue of Superman having sex. The conclusion was that, since he has incredible superstrength and an orgasm is an involuntary muscle spasm, his sperm would be ejected at such superspeed that they'd either blow Lois' head off or leave microscopic holes in her abdomen and she'd die of peritonitus ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Eric Plumrose

It's a bit of a mess, to be honest. I actually preferred the second half when it stopped pretending it was a sequel to the first two Christopher Reeve films. Of which, it's far too reverential, even if Martha Kent is now back from the dead.

Superman's motivation for buggering off isn't adequately explained. It's not enough to say that remnants of his homeworld have been discovered. Kal-El was brought up on Earth, he has no connection to Kryton bar those crystal shards that daddy packed for him. Luthor's far too much of a buffoon to be taken seriously for most of the film. Lois looks too young.

Someone should have been on hand to remind everyone involved that, y'know, Superman is, first and foremost, a comic, not a film.

Ah well, never mind. As Logan says, the best part of the film is Bastardboy's asthma attack when he realizes that Clark Kent IS Superman.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Amstor Computer

LMS --

That would be "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" by Larry Niven. An amusing (and slightly grotesque) little thought experiment.

Link: http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html" target="_blank">Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex

Wils

I do remember once reading a feature that explored the issue of Superman having sex.

I've read something about that as well. IIRC, it was accompanied by a drawing of Superman sporting a come grimace and Lois' internal organs shooting out the top of her skull.

Eric Plumrose

There's a cartoon also of Superman lying on a bed looking up at the holes he's made in the ceiling. Lois is calling out to him, saying summat along the lines of "You should really see a doctor about your premature ejaculation".

I'd imagine it's been argued that it's Superman's will power, not just Earth's yellow sun, that makes him what he is.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mr C

I think the yellow sunlight explanation is keyed to the "Kryptonians don't fly of Krypton because of their Red Sun" explanation.

And for Superman sex scenarios, check out the Pro by Ennis for Ejaculate Airplane ownage hilarity.

Matt Timson

Watched it last night and thought it was great (if a little bit long).  A few bits niggled, but nothing that spoiled my enjoyment.  Lex Luthor was great too- just the right mix of comedy and genuine menace/unpleasantness...
Pffft...

monty--

I thought it was fantastic for one reason alone. It made me feel like a kid again. Just like when I first watched X-Men. You can't buy that kind of magic.

Bico

What that movie needed was a few more Christ-allusions, as I don't think there were enough.

Art

http://static.flickr.com/62/195270570_231046b242.jpg?v=0">